Subscribe to our Free International Development Jobs Newsletter
Subscribe to daily
Post your jobs
Senior Director, Global Public Giving
International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI)
Location: Washington DC or IAVI's New York Office
Last Date: April 5, 2010
Senior Director, Global Public Giving - 1384
The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) is a global, not-for-profit, public-private partnership organization working to speed the search for a vaccine to prevent HIV infection and AIDS. Founded in 1996 and operational in 24 countries, IAVI, and its network of partners, research and develop vaccine candidates. IAVI also advocates for a vaccine to be a global priority and works to ensure that a future vaccine will be accessible to all who need it.
IAVI is a young, dynamic and mission-driven organization, and the work environment is fast-paced and intellectually stimulating. IAVI's culture, like that of a biotech company, is one that involves working collaboratively with a variety of internal and external peers, using scarce resources effectively, and sharing a common sense of commitment and purpose. In a global search effort, IAVI seeks a Senior Director, Global Public Giving.
Location: Washington DC or IAVI's New York Office.
IAVI has regional offices in Amsterdam, Johannesburg, Nairobi, and New Delhi, with a Design & Development Lab in Brooklyn, New York, Human Immunology Lab in London, and the IAVI Scripps Center in La Jolla, California.
IAVI is recruiting for a Senior Director, Global Public Giving. The right individual will be a member of the Resource Mobilization Department leading the unit responsible for resource mobilization in the public sector with specific responsibility for fund-raising in North America and other non-OECD countries, including through multilateral organizations such as the World Bank and OFID. He/she will work closely with IAVI's Vice President for Resource Mobilization, as well as the European resource mobilization team, in developing and implementing plans and strategies to extend and increase current government support and to attract new government and multilateral donors. He/she will also be responsible for implementing a successful donor stewardship program to ensure excellent donor relations and to set standards for reporting to and communicating with donors and partners.
The key responsibilities encompass:
* Taking an active role in the cultivation and solicitation of major government donors in close cooperation with the Vice President for Resource Mobilization and the CEO.
* Representing IAVI with major donors and influencers and advocate for resources with relevant representatives of funders.
* Coordinating relevant actors, both internal and external, in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding government and multilateral donors.
* Leading a small team of professionals in support of public sector giving and developing strategies with this team to increase funding levels from public sources.
* Identifying and determining the viability of new sources and types of government and multilateral revenue sources.
* Establishing, communicating, and managing an aggressive timeline for soliciting and generating contributions to meet IAVI's government funding goals.
* Ensuring the supervision and management of professional staff in their activities, including the development and solicitation of contributions and the preparation of reporting documents, ensuring that all proposals and reports are submitted in a timely manner.
* Ensuring coordination and collaboration with other teams in the Resource Mobilization department to ensure coherence and synergy in the activities, as well as, where relevant, working with external partners to achieve mutual fund-raising aims.
* Managing and contributing to the development of materials and publications that interpret IAVI to its constituencies in support of fundraising efforts, including proposals and reports to donors.
* Overseeing the development and maintenance of necessary development reports, records, and systems.
The Senior Director, Global Public Giving reports directly to the Vice President, Resource Mobilization and will be responsible for supervising a small staff of researchers, grant, proposal and report writers, and donor relations staff as well as consultants and partners working on outreach to specific governments.
Leadership and Management
* Ensure that the highest quality of skill, diligence and rigor is applied to all projects within the public sector resource mobilization efforts.
* Coordinate the translation of public sector resource mobilization goals into tactical plans.
* Manage staff and consultants, staff the team effectively to achieve objectives, recruit and evaluate the performance of all personnel, provide coaching and mentoring to staff and develop and maintain an organizational structure with appropriate functional responsibilities to accomplish business goals.
* Establish effective working relationships with other departments at IAVI, and external partners to advance IAVI's mission.
Qualifications & Experience
We seek an individual who possesses strong knowledge and experience working with North American and other non-OECD governments and/or multilateral organizations on international, political, health, financial and/or development issues. The successful candidate will have:
* Experience in resource mobilization and donor management.
* An understanding of priority-setting, resource management and the bridge-building required to foster the development of an effective network for resource mobilization.
* Expertise serving as a global spokesperson and advocate.
* Experience working with USAID or other US government agencies is an asset.
* Demonstrable ability and track record in influencing government programs and spending.
* A Master level degree in social sciences, development studies and business management or equivalent qualifications is desired.
* 8 to 10 years experience of successful resource mobilization and donor stewardship within the Public Sector.
IAVI operates as an intense mission-driven organization trying to solve one of the most difficult and important scientific and policy challenges of our times. As a result, a passion for the mission is a critical attribute.
Leadership & Management Behavioral Competencies
* A builder of strong, productive personal and professional relationships and interconnected networks of people and organizations.
* Strong Public Relations, advocacy and lobbying skills, sharpened within the Public Sector, fundraising arena.
* Highly developed and effective interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written; able to communicate sensitively and compellingly with individuals as well as large groups across cultures and languages.
* Encourages open communication and participation with an emphasis on transparency and the sharing of information.
* Strong strategic, conceptual thinker who can drive quickly to a clear and concise synthesis of even the most complex issues and concepts.
* A visionary leader who exudes a passion for the mission that is inspiring and contagious.
* Defines ambitious goals and establishes priorities, designing processes and managing projects and resources that align to achieve those goals.
* A champion of innovation who responds to complex problems and challenges by applying new perspectives and exploring a variety of relevant possible solutions.
* A team player and team-builder who is willing to work with and patiently align diverse stakeholders who maintain their individual autonomy and decision-making.
* Respected for intellect and sound, analytical and mature judgment
* Creative and flexible in approaching problem-solving and management in a globally diverse and highly matrixed environment
* Dynamic, energetic
* Embraces change
* Strong organizational skills
* Values-driven with a high degree of integrity and moral authority
* Disciplined and methodical
* A resilient temperament
* Excellent interpersonal skills, influencing skills and cultural competencies, with the ability to effectively manage across a global platform of partners and employees.
To submit your application, please go to
http://www.iavi.org/about-IAVI/careers/Pages/Careers.aspx . Click on career search and apply to Job ID 1384
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies each day via
3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. Only USD 44 for 3 months. Over 1380
positions filled in 2009.
Click here to