Subscribe to our Free International Development Jobs Newsletter
Subscribe to daily
Post your jobs
Regional Director Africa (RDA)
International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Last Date: April 20, 2010
Regional Director Africa (RDA)
The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) is a global, not-for-profit, public-private partnership organization working to speed the search for a vaccine to prevent HIV infection and AIDS. Founded in 1996 and operational in 24 countries, IAVI, and its network of partners, research and develop vaccine candidates. IAVI also advocates for a vaccine to be a global priority and works to ensure that a future vaccine will be accessible to all who need it. IAVI is a young, dynamic and mission-driven organization, and the work environment is fast-paced and intellectually stimulating. IAVI’s culture is one that involves working collaboratively with a variety of internal and external peers, using scarce resources effectively, and sharing a common sense of commitment and purpose.
Position Location – Preferably IAVI’s Nairobi Office.
IAVI’s headquarters is in New York with regional offices in Amsterdam, Johannesburg, Nairobi, and New Delhi, with a Design & Development Lab in Brooklyn, New York, Human Immunology Lab in London, and IAVI Scripps Center in La Jolla, California.
The Regional Director for Africa (RDA) will, lead and further develop a strong management team for IAVI’s Africa programme. The RDA will take a leading role in shaping the strategy for the programme, while ensuring that IAVI’s activities and initiatives on the continent are integrated. These diverse activities include clinical trials, epidemiological studies, assay development and standardization, observational or operational research, applied research, social science research, stakeholder outreach (at regional, national and grass roots levels), capacity building, high-level advocacy, community mobilization, communications, and media relations.
IAVI’s partners in Africa are critical to the programme’s success. In order to build support and awareness for the AIDS vaccine research efforts, IAVI works closely with a broad network of stakeholders such as Government ministries, national research institutions, community leaders, policy makers, academic institutions and the private sector and international bodies involved in HIV prevention. A key responsibility of the RDA will be to work closely with existing partner organizations as well as to support the development of new strategic partnerships.
Currently, most of IAVI’s activities in Africa take place in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Zambia and South Africa. Many of IAVI’s programmes and activities in Africa depend upon smooth interaction between the functional departments (i.e. R&D, Public Policy, and Communications) at IAVI’s headquarters in New York. The RDA will be responsible for working within an organizational matrix and collaborating with these departments in order to ensure that reporting relationships and cross-functional activities within the matrix are productive and successful.
The key responsibilities encompass:
• Developing a strong understanding of the African regional and national-level socio-political milieu, monitoring developments that could have an impact on IAVI’s work in the region and ensuring the development of risk-management plans.
• Developing and implementing the long-term strategy for IAVI’s vision in Africa through an in-depth understanding of IAVI, its mission, people, partners and culture.
• Participating fully in both strategic and operational deliberations as required. Acting as a strategic partner, source of advice and counsel to various organizational functions represented in the African Programme • Galvanizing the teams in Southern Africa and East Africa behind this vision, which furthers the mission and goals of IAVI worldwide.
• Identifying potential new partners, subcontractors and grantees. Facilitating agreements and ensuring that activities are monitored accordingly • Representing IAVI in Africa and internationally and raising the profile of its African programme through strategic interactions with government, NGOs, partners, donors, media, and other stakeholders.
• Supporting the development and implementation of IAVI’s Africa public relations and media strategies.
• Serving as a role-model for IAVI’s core values and creating a team environment in Africa that exemplifies IAVI’s core values.
• Ensuring the preparation and implementation of IAVI’s Africa country and regional work plans and budgets, coupled with developing strong financial management and reporting mechanisms.
• Collaborating and providing support to country-based staff in order to nurture productive working relationships. Collaborating with headquarters staff,
The RDA reports directly to the Vice President, Country and Regional Programmes and will be responsible for supervising the staff in Africa as well as consultants and collaborating partners working on various aspects of IAVI’s programme on the continent.
Leadership and Management
• Creating, communicating and executing a comprehensive business strategy
• Ensuring that the highest quality of skill, stamina, diligence and analytic rigor is applied to all activities within IAVI’s Africa programme.
• Attracting, developing and nurturing highly motivated and diverse teams, capable of achieving common goals, within agreed timelines.
• Through supervision, coaching and mentoring, to ensure that the Africa team possesses the capabilities to address the challenges of the highly dynamic and evolving programme
• Establishing effective working relationships with staff and other departments at IAVI and with external partners to advance IAVI’s mission.
Qualifications & Experience
We seek an individual who possesses in-depth knowledge and wide experience working in the areas of health, life sciences, HIV, or development work. The ideal candidate will be well regarded by peers, with at least 10 years in a leadership role within a highly professional organization. The successful candidate will have:
o At least a Master’s degree in science, public health, public policy, medicine or related social studies.
o At least 5 years resident field experience in Africa, within the not-for-profit/NGO sector
o Demonstrated experience in building and implementing a strong coherent operation and programme with limited resources.
o Expertise as a spokesperson and advocate at high level national and international forums .
o Proven capability in international programme management and implementation, particularly in developing countries.
o Experience in negotiating agreements and managing and cultivating relationships with numerous partners, including international organizations, NGOs, donors, government entities and other stakeholders.
o Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of differing cultures and business practices, especially those in Africa.
IAVI operates as an intense mission-driven organization trying to solve one of the most difficult and important scientific and policy challenges of our times. As a result, a passion for the mission is a critical attribute.
Leadership & Management Behavioral Competencies
o A builder of strong, productive personal and professional relationships and interconnected networks of people and organizations.
o A team player and team-builder, willing to work with and patiently align diverse stakeholders who maintain their individual autonomy and decision-making, within a fast-paced, decentralized and highly matrixed environment.
o Strong public relations, advocacy and lobbying skills, coupled with the ability to function well under pressure.
o Highly developed and effective interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written; able to communicate sensitively and compellingly with individuals as well as large groups across cultures and languages.
o Encourages open communication and participation with an emphasis on transparency and the sharing of information.
o Strong strategic, conceptual thinker who can quickly achieve a clear and concise synthesis of even the most complex issues and concepts.
o A visionary leader who exudes a passion for the mission that is inspiring and contagious.
o Defines ambitious goals and establishes priorities, designing processes and managing projects and resources that align to achieve those goals.
o A champion of innovation who responds to complex problems and challenges by applying new perspectives and exploring a variety of relevant possible solutions.
o A person of unquestionable personal integrity, fairness and credibility necessary to gain the trust and commitment of all stakeholders.
• Respected for intellect and sound, analytical and mature judgment
• Creative and flexible in approaching problem-solving and management in a globally diverse and highly matrixed environment
• Dynamic, energetic
• Embraces change
• Strong organizational skills
• Values-driven with a high degree of integrity and moral authority
• Disciplined and methodical
• A resilient temperament
• Politically aware and sensitive.
• An inspiring and motivating leader
• Ambassadorial and diplomatic
• Sophisticated and globally aware; acts as a citizen of the world.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, influencing skills and cultural competencies, with the ability to effectively manage across a broad platform of partners and employees.
To submit your application, please go to
http://www.iavi.org/about-IAVI/careers/Pages/Careers.aspx Click on career search and apply to Job ID 1389
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies each day via
3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. Only USD 44 for 3 months. Over 1380
positions filled in 2009.
Click here to