Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Advisor - Monitoring climate-relevant biodiversity in protected areas
Location: Brazil, Brasilia
Last Date: November 19, 2010
Advisor (m/f) Monitoring climate-relevant biodiversity in protected areas - Brazil, Brasilia
Area of activities
This project is designed to enable coordinated monitoring of biodiversity in selected protected areas in Brazil and to generate information relevant to decision-making on climate protection. Key measures include in-situ monitoring in at least 15 protected areas (in the Amazon, Mata Atlântica and Cerrado-Savanne biomes) with participation of the local population; harmonising databases and acting as mouthpiece for the institutions involved, as well as developing methods facilitating improved and more cost-efficient prognoses of carbon reservoir dynamics. The German contribution essentially comprises specialist, organisational, process-related, strategic and policy consultancy.
As officer responsible for implementing the German contribution, your tasks will include:
• Advising on strategies for monitoring biodiversity
• Coordinating work with other projects, research initiatives and other donors
• Shaping cooperative relations between state and civil-society institutions for their specific implementation, in consultation with other organisations
• Coordinating specialist consultancy on selected themes (e.g. biodiversity monitoring, carbon- stock monitoring, protected area management, environmental finance, REDD + alignment with climate change, geographic information systems)
• Engaging in knowledge management, taking into account relevant lessons learned and GTZ products (in consultation with stakeholders), German/international research cooperation and other donors
• Supporting external communication and public relations work and the organisation of inter- institutional dialogue processes
• Planning, implementing and results-oriented monitoring of the project, with particular attention to project backbones and key service packages in consultation with partners,
• Assisting the launch of research cooperation as well as public-private financing partnerships
• Managing national experts and steering short-term expert assignments.
Given this project’s innovative character and its special signal effect for Brazil, the expectations of your specialist, management and personal skills and competences are high. You have a degree in natural sciences or a comparable field and several years of work experience in nature conservation. Ideally you are well acquainted with the area of biodiversity monitoring, having already cooperated with research projects in the field of climate change and biodiversity. You have excellent skills for initiating and maintaining networks across and beyond various departmental and administrative levels, coupled with a flair for pragmatic balancing between scientific ambition and practical relevance. You are able to provide high-level consultancy in terms of both content and strategy, and to deploy short-term and intermittent experts specifically to address particular issues and organisational and institutional capacity building. Overseas experience in Latin America, and ideally in Brazil, would be an advantage. The position requires negotiation proficiency in English and Portuguese, as well as a sound knowledge of German.
What we offer
As GTZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working atmosphere where interdisciplinary exchange underpins our success. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping and implementing your work.
Please only submit your application via the jobs and careers portal on the
GTZ website, by 19th November 2010. To apply for the position, go to 'GTZ Job Offers'. Then choose 'Professionals' and enter the Job-ID 5378. Application deadline is on 19th November 2010.
Period of assignment: from the earliest possible date through to November 2013.
Candidates must be willing to travel extensively within the country. Please note that we can only accept and process applications received via our online e-recruiting system. If you are unable to submit your application in this way, please contact the person named in this advertisement.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to