Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Last Date: November 29, 2010
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
Organisation : Greenpeace International (GPI)
Department : Fundraising
Job Title : Fundraising Director
Reports to : Chief Operating Officer
Location : Amsterdam, Netherlands
Salary : 80,000 Euros plus benefits
Greenpeace is the world's leading environmental campaigning organisation. As the co-ordinating body of over 30 national and regional offices worldwide, Greenpeace International is at the forefront in placing environmental issues at the top of the global agenda. To maintain its independence, Greenpeace does not accept donations from governments or corporations but relies on contributions from individual supporters and foundation grants.
The GPI International fundraising team comprises 29 people located around the world:
• 8 fundraising specialists in Amsterdam
• 4 regional fundraising managers located in Asia, US & Americas, Europe x 2
• 17 specialist operational staff (full & part time) located around the world
The specialist staff supports all the major areas of fundraising including major donors & foundations, legacies, direct dialogue, upgrade, middle donor, new media conversion and acquisition, retention, supporter services and analysis and reporting raising over 210m Euro per year and investing over 65m Euro worldwide.
The role of GPI is to facilitate skill sharing amongst the NROs (National and Regional Offices) and promote fundraising income growth. GP believes it can increase fundraising income over 40% by 2014, with a significant portion of this coming from our larger, more established, offices. In addition several developing offices have been clearly identified as having massive growth potential in the coming years.
The new Fundraising Director will have an opportunity to make a major contribution to the organisation in a time of change. Greenpeace seeks to:
• Diversify its fundraising methods globally (focus in Digital, Major Donor, Legacy)
• Grow its existing channels in certain promising countries
• Change a number of its internal processes to support these strategies
Purpose of the job
To provide strategic support, advice, and intervention on fundraising to Greenpeace National and Regional offices, in accordance with the overall strategic direction (formulated by GPI SMT, Board and/or the EDM), in order to enhance the sustainable development of the Greenpeace offices, increase global income and supporter base and ensure the effective integration of fundraising, communications and campaign strategies.
To participate as a member of the Greenpeace Senior Management Team and contribute judgement and teamwork to the overall objectives of Greenpeace.
While reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Fundraising Director has a “dotted line” to Greenpeace’s International Executive Director, like all the members of the Senior Management Team. The Fundraising Director also sits on the ‘Program Direction Team”, the body that coordinates our global programme of campaigns, communications and fundraising in an integrated manner.
Key Strategic Objectives
The strategic objectives of the Fundraising Director are broadly:
• Contribute to and define the global fundraising growth strategy of the world-wide organisation.
• Integrate the activities of the campaigns and related communications activities with the fundraising activity, so as to “co-create” in these three core activities of the organisation in order to both achieve our campaign goals as well as raise the level of concurrent fundraising.
• Build a major donor and legacy fundraising program globally. In doing so, assist the International Executive Director in his personal extensive Major Donor activities.
1. Strategic Development
Oversee the ongoing long term development and ensure the implementation of the Global Growth Plan in accordance with long term campaign, communication and mass networking objectives and strategies; ensure benchmarking against similar NGO's, encompassing current fundraising/marketing trends and innovative opportunities in order to maximize fundraising opportunities worldwide.
Lead, motivate and manage Fundraising Unit staff consisting of twelve staff in various locations. in line with organizational objectives, ensuring staff development training and performance reviews take place, and ensure that cross-cutting fundraising issues are managed within the team. Oversee data analysis in order to ensure the effective performance of the unit.
3. NRO Liaison and skill sharing
Ensure the consistent application of best fundraising practices and knowledge across Greenpeace, by identifying (internally and externally) and promoting/establishing innovation projects; and supporting National and Regional Offices (NROs) on fundraising and marketing objectives, keeping FR Directors and Development Managers well informed of activities, in order to ensure Fundraising and Campaign integration.
4. Program Development
Facilitate and foster participation of Fundraisers in the development of Greenpeace campaigns in order to create close links with Communications Department enabling the development of common strategies and operational tools in order to integrate supporter needs, supporter mobilization and fundraising activities in the execution of campaigns strategies.
Oversee NRO fundraising benchmarking and performance monitoring/analysis in line with the organisational growth plan in order to contribute to meeting the agreed targets therein.
Fundraising Investment Fund
Chair the Fundraising Investment Fund and advise NROs and the Investment Fund of potential funding opportunities and areas of growth in coordination with the Fundraising and Development Director; ensuring NROs are assisted in making applications to the fund; and that the Fundraising Investment Fund Committee is assisted with recommendations, practices and policies within the structure, in order to ensure the best use of fund resources at all times.
6. Unit Budget
Develop and monitor expenditure of the Fundraising Unit budget, according to agreed objectives and the priorities of the unit, in order to ensure cost effectiveness and strategic expenditure of allocated funds.
7. Supporter Mobilisation
Ensure the alignment supporter mobilization initiatives with organizational priorities, in cooperation with the Communications Department, in order to ensure integration with the Fundraising portfolio and maximize conversion of supporters into donors.
8. Skills required / qualifications
• At least 10 years management experience, of which at least 3 years at a senior level
• Ability to operate at the senior level of Greenpeace’s global senior management team
• Minimum of five years proven expertise in strategic fundraising policy development
• Proven knowledge of international Fundraising techniques and management thereof
• Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas as well as transfer knowledge and skills
• Academic or higher education qualification, preferably in business management, marketing or administration
• Proven experience with strategic planning, project management and financial management
• International work experience in at least 2 different countries, preferably in the NGO sector
• Fluent in written and spoken English and preferably one other modern language
9. Application procedure
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post along with your CV/resume (no photos) in English, in strict confidence BY EMAIL ONLY to Diana Ruano at
Please ensure that they are sent as Word or OpenOffice format documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV”. Please put “Fundraising Director GPI” in the email subject line and state how you came across about the job announcement.
Deadline for applications 29 November 2010
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to