Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Program Coordinator, Protégé Program
Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM)
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Last Date: May 1, 2011
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice for Canadian municipal government. FCM is dedicated to improving the quality of life in all communities by promoting strong, effective and accountable municipal governments.
Position: Program Coordinator, Protégé Program
Department: National Programs, Women in Local Government
Classification: Level 3
Duration: Contract until October 31, 2012
Salary Band: $ 46,000 – 52,100 – 58,200
To encourage more women to participate in municipal government, FCM, with support from Status of Women Canada, has created a new program called The Protégé Program, to develop the tools and capabilities necessary for a national mentorship program. The Program will take the products and processes developed for a mentorship program in Toronto, and adjust them as needed for four pilot communities that represent a cross-section of Canadian municipalities. The goal of the program is to enable communities to match young women with an elected municipal official for mentoring, with the goal of encouraging the participants to become engaged in local politics.
Under the supervision of a Project Manager, the Project Coordinator provides research, administrative and logistical support for the delivery of the new Protégé Program. They will also be providing the same assistance for the mentorship component of the “Getting to 30%” Program.
If the challenge of increasing women’s participation in municipal government is something in which you believe you can make a difference, then this position could be an excellent opportunity for you.
• Research and administer mentorship training curriculum, materials and outreach strategy for the Protégé program and the Getting to 30% program;
• Support the Program Manager by responding to member inquiries, updating program materials, promoting program activities, managing workshop logistics and other relevant assignments as required;
• Provide expertise, advice and support to municipal governments interested in the Protégé Program;
• Build and maintain a network of contacts with municipal governments, private sector, academia, professional associations, and other NGOs in women’s studies, municipal affairs, governance and mentorship in order to stay abreast of emerging trends, identify issues and barriers, provide advice, and align program activities with stakeholder needs; and
• Liaise with project partners and contractors while organizing workshops, promoting project activities to municipalities, and preparing materials/reports.
Knowledge and Experience:
• The position requires a degree in political science, women’s studies, public administration, or similar discipline, and 2-3 years of related work experience.
• Experience administering program activities (e.g., workshops, events and presentations). Past work history in measuring and reporting would also be ideal.
• Experience in administrative or office support and a thorough knowledge of computer software packages (i.e. MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook) and electronic communication tools;
• A high level of competence in writing, oral presentation, organizational ability, interpersonal skills and versatility are requirements of the position.
• The ideal candidate must be able to provide excellent writing services in English and have the ability to speak both official languages fluently.
• Experience with adult education, women’s/gender issues, mentorship, and municipal government and politics is considered highly desirable.
The successful candidate will exhibit the following competencies:
• Results Oriented: Committed to achieving results, demonstrating innovation and creativity in overcoming obstacles. Organizes time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effective and efficient way.
• Client Focus: Making client satisfaction a priority and at the center of all decisions. Providing service excellence to internal and external clients.
• Teamwork: Contributing to the development of a team environment where team members ultimately achieve established goals.
• Ethics and Fairness: Treating everyone fairly and equitably and maintaining high ethical standards.
The benefits to joining the FCM team include summer hours (Fridays off between July 1st and Labour Day); office facilities located in the By Ward Market, FCM’s commitment to employee development and a competitive range of employee benefits and services.
For additional information on this posting, or for further information on FCM, access our website at
Visit the careers section of our website to apply. Deadline for applications is May 1, 2011.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept in file for six months following the hiring.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to