Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to almost
0.5 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Director of Finance
Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa
Location: Accra, Ghana
Last Date: June 25, 2010
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE - Ref: FARA/adv/DirFin/2010
FARA is the apex organization for agricultural research for development in Africa. The FARA Secretariat is the lead institution for pillar IV of NEPAD’s Comprehensive Africa Agriculture
Development Programme (CAADP) which encompasses agricultural research and technology dissemination and adoption. FARA works closely with the sub-regional organisations (SROs) and the national agricultural research and extension systems to ensure effective implementation of CAADP activities.
FARA is seeking applications from qualified candidates for the position of Director of Finance. The Director of Finance is responsible to the Executive Director (ED) of FARA and will work closely with the ED in the formulation, monitoring and control of FARA’s budget and finances. The post holder also safeguards FARA’s financial assets and manages related risks, recommends, tests and
implements suitable financial information systems for FARA. S/he formulates, develops and implements relevant policies that enhance the internal control systems of FARA. S/he manages FARA’s relationships with external and internal auditors and provides financial advice to FARA’s management. S/he is also responsible for the creation and oversight of finance facilities capable of making short-term and long term investment returns to FARA.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include:
Financial Operations and Donor Reporting
• Ensures that the FARA Secretariat and its programmes implement sound Financial and Accounting controls to assist with their day-to-day operations. Assumes the primary responsibility of establishing (or upgrading), coordinating, and administering the Financial systems used in controlling the operations of FARA; in conformity with international accounting and auditing standards;
• Ensures that FARA provides timely and appropriate financial reports to all donors through the Executive Director’s Office;
• Consolidates all FARA’s programme financial data regularly and advices management as appropriate;
• Assists the Executive Director in developing and maintaining a sound and up-to-date system for evaluating/ monitoring all donor contracts;
• In close liaison with the Executive Director, implements agreed changes and modifications to FARA’s chart of Accounts;
• Liaises with the Executive Director’s Unit to ensure strict compliance of donor financial contractual obligations;
• Develop and maintain guidelines for budget process; and recommend system to improve budgetary needs.
• Ensures that all budgets and particularly those of the Secretariat are developed on the basis of secured funding only;
• Reviews and analyses the financial operations, reporting system and reports for FARA and its programmes;
• Maintains records and develops procedures that will permit the generation of quantitative reports on FARA’s operations to satisfy the needs of Stakeholders, Donors, Executive Board, Secretariat
Management and staff;
• Provides the FARA management and Secretariat Management with a meaningful interpretation of the financial information and assist in the policy-setting, planning, and control operations;
• Coordinates the transfer of funds to field locations e.g. SRO's and other locations as per established agreements or arrangements;
• Ensures the development and maintenance of a system of monitoring and reconciling advances issued by FARA Secretariat to both staff and collaborating institutions.
• Assists the Executive Director of FARA in the calling of donor funds from development partners at appropriate times;
• Supervises all Finance & Accounting staff at the FARA Secretariat
Strategic Planning and Business Plan
• Participates in the development and implementation of long and short range plans for FARA;
• Assists the Executive Director and all programme staff to review and implement FARA’s Business Plan, appropriate to the Requirements of its strategic Plan.
Investments of FARA’s Resources
Recommend to FARA management and the Executive Board appropriate and low-risk investment policies to maximize returns on investments.
External and Internal Audits
Assumes full responsibility for the production and accuracy of FARA’s annual audited financial statements, and their coordination with the tasks of the External Auditors.
• Performs any other duties relating to the Finance at the FARA Secretariat as will be assigned by the FARA Executive Director.
A minimum of MBA degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field; Full accounting professional qualifications i.e. CPA, ACCA or equivalent. Over 10 years practical hands-on experience in finance and accounting working experience in a Senior Finance position preferably in an international organisation/NGO; excellent knowledge of fund accounting, including reporting requirements of major donors and development partners. Demonstrable skills in the development of finance and accounting policies, procedures, systems in the context of an international NGO.
Developed financial management/accounting skills are a must. Acute knowledge and understanding of donor funded institutions and in particular conservation institutions and the issues that surround such
institutions will be a definite advantage. Excellent organizational, communication and computer skills (particularly windows based word processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail and Intranet tools). Deep
knowledge of agricultural development in Africa. Fluency in oral and written English is essential. Knowledge of French will be an added advantage. Demonstrated experience in planning and strategic thinking with strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Knowledge of Sun System of accounting will be an advantage
This is an internationally recruited position and FARA offers competitive international terms of employment.
Please send (via e-mail) comprehensive curriculum vitae, together with the names, addresses, e-mail addresses, telephone and fax numbers of three referees to: Dr. Monty P. Jones, Executive Director, FARA, PMB CT 173, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana; Email:
email@example.com; Fax: +233 21 773676. Applications will be accepted up to 25th June 2010.
FARA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from men and women.
Please use the reference code indicated above as your subject for when sending the emails and application letter.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies each day via
3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. Only USD 44 for 3 months. Over 1380
positions filled in 2009.
Click here to