Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to almost
0.5 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Technical / Special Assistant to the Executive Director
The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa on behalf of: African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services
Location: Accra, Ghana
Last Date: June 21, 2010
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
TECHNICAL/SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: Ref: AFAAS/adv/TS-ASST/2010
The African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) is the umbrella organisation for Agricultural Advisory Services (AAS) in Africa. It is a platform for developing more innovative approaches aimed at improving the delivery of AAS and their responsiveness to user demands. It operates within the framework of CAADP Pillar IV which has the objective of enhancing the livelihoods of African farmers and pastoralists and is spearheaded by the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA). Hence FARA is supporting the institutional development of AFAAS as well as strengthening its linkages with other umbrella bodies contributing to CAADP Pillar IV.
FARA is seeking, on behalf of AFAAS, applications from qualified candidates for the position of Technical/Special Assistant to the Executive Director of AFAAS. The objective of this recruitment is to identify an individual to initially support the Management Consultant (MC) of AFAAS; and later to facilitate the seamless induction of the inaugural Executive Director (ED) into the Organization who shall be appointed within the contract period.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include:
a. Monitoring the implementation of the workplan and prompting the MC and/or ED on interventions needed to ensure that implementation stays on track;
b. Coordinating the timely collation of information needed from the different sections of the Secretariat for preparation of routine reports and for budgeting;
c. Managing the activities of the AFAAS Board including all preparations for Board meetings, recording proceedings of the Board and preparation of Board member entitlements;
d. Managing the processes of stakeholder interactions including organizing meetings, seminars, workshops, symposia;
e. Preparing information packages on AFAAS to update CAADP, stakeholders and the public on progress of implementation;
f. Managing the processes of contracting and executing consultancies;
g. Tracking national, regional, continental, and international agricultural R&D events of concern to AFAAS (especially those that link AFAAS to other CAADP processes) and recommending those to which AFAAS should be represented;
h. Representing the MC/ ED at meetings and workshops when necessary;
i. Coordinating operational support to the AFAAS Secretariat;
j. Any other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned from time to time by the MC and/ or ED
The Technical/ Special Assistant should have the following qualifications/ attributes:
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Extension/Rural Development, with at least 5 years of professional experience in the field of agriculture and rural development. A Masters degree shall be an added advantage.
• A good understanding of the institutional developments and emerging paradigms in fostering pro-poor agricultural innovation systems. In this regard a good understanding of AFAAS’ background and institutional history shall be an advantage.
• Knowledge of the strategies that CAADP is pursuing for bringing together key African institutions dealing with different aspects of agricultural innovation to operate within the Framework for African Agricultural Productivity (FAAP).
• Excellent communication skills and a track record that shows ability to facilitate and coordinate teamwork and to interact with stakeholders at regional and international levels.
• Ability to work with minimum supervision and secretarial support (which implies having comprehensive computer literacy) and to be proactive in following up ad hoc issues that may emerge from time to time in their domains of operation.
The position is full time and based at the AFAAS Secretariat in Uganda with the possibility of renewal. The period of assignment will be until June 30, 2011
Please send (via e-mail) comprehensive curriculum vitae, together with the names, addresses, e-mail addresses, telephone and fax numbers of three referees to:
Dr. Monty P. Jones, Executive Director, FARA, PMB CT 173, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana; Email:
email@example.com; Fax: +233 21 773676. Applications will be accepted up to 21st June 2010.
FARA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from men and women.
Please use the reference code indicated above as your subject for when sending the emails and application letter. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies each day via
3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. Only USD 44 for 3 months. Over 1380
positions filled in 2009.
Click here to