Liaison Officer for India
Location: ideally based in Eastern India region, preferably, Kolkatta or Siliguri
Last Date: February 26, 2011
Fairtrade International (FLO) is the leading Fairtrade standard setting and certification body. It regularly
inspects and certifies about 508 producer organizations in more than 60 countries in Africa, Asia and
Latin America. It permits nearly 1.5 million producers, workers and their dependents in more than 60
developing countries to benefit from labelled Fairtrade.
Fairtrade International is divided into the following two organizations:
1. Fairtrade International (FLO e.V.) is a publicly recognized non-profit multi-stakeholder association
involving FLO’s 20 member organizations (or Labelling Initiatives), producer organizations, traders and
external experts. It develops and reviews standards and assists producers in capitalizing on market
2. FLO-CERT GmbH is a limited company that coordinates all tasks and processes all information related
to the inspection and certification of producers and trade. Operating independently from any other
interests, it follows the international ISO standard for certification bodies (ISO 65).
The Producer Services and Relations Unit of Fairtrade International (FLO) is looking to contract a
Liaison Officer for India
Liaison Officer Terms of Reference
Fairtrade International is seeking a dynamic, results oriented development professional with excellent
grassroots training skills and motivation to continue working at the grassroots level. The candidate must
possess excellent critical thinking and conflict management skills, as well as communication skills suitable for remote team participation. The candidate must also be willing to travel frequently to small farmer
organizations and plantations.
To act as the regionally based liaison person between the Producer Services and Relations Unit (PSR)
and FLO certified producers, potential FLO producer partners, and Fairtrade stakeholders in India.
Currently there are three liaison officers in India and the candidate would join the team as the fourth
liaison officer, sharing responsibility with the team.
Providing information, advice and training to producers to improve compliance with Fairtrade standards
Providing information, advice and training to producers to improve their market opportunities.
Providing information to Fairtrade International (FLO) about producers in their sphere of activity.
In India, there are plantations which fit the Fairtrade Standards for Hired Labour, whose workers require
training and capacity building. Additionally, there are farmer groups that fit the Fairtrade Standards for
small farmer organizations and for contract production. The specific responsibilities expected of the Liaison Officer depend on producer type.
- Seeking new Suppliers/Products/Origins
- Providing an introduction to producers to Fairtrade and assistance to get and stay certified.
- Assessing Producer Groups as Businesses
- Support Work following Inspections
- Sourcing and liaising with local, external support agencies
- Helping coordinate the Pricing Process.
- Provide information about local networks.
- Provide regular and consistent reports on targeted producer groups
- Represent the PSR in local workshops/conferences as required and agreed.
- Participate and effectively contribute to joint programmes of PSR team within the country and
- Other duties as required by the Regional Operations Consultant or PSR, Fairtrade International
- Standard setting, Inspection, Certification, Product Management, Supply Chain Management.
Reporting and communication lines
To the Regional Operations Consultant – South Asia, Bangalore, India
To Producer Services and Relations Unit (PSR), Fairtrade International (FLO), Bonn, Germany
- University degree in agricultural, social, or economic science or development studies
- At least five years of professional working experience, preferably in extension education, training
of farmers, workers
- Experience in working with small farmers organizations, workers at the grassroots level
- Motivation to continue working at the grassroots level
- Strong self-management skills: able to work alone and independently; good planning and
- Good contacts with local NGOs and Government resources
- Ability to communicate effectively with counterparts from different strata of society
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
and gender balance
- Dynamic trainer
- Team player: ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with other LOs and the
Regional Operations Consultant.
- Basic accounting skills (other business skills desirable)
- Familiarity with local culture
- Fluent in English, Hindi and at least one other Indian language. Candidates with proficiency in Nepali, Assamese or both would be preferred
- Prepared to travel frequently in the region in basic conditions
- Proficient in the use of computers, including MS Office, internet
- Experience with Corporate Social Responsibility and certification systems would be a plus
Terms of the contract: Consultant contract for twelve month period (180 days), start as early as
Location of the post: a location in India agreed upon by mutual consent. The Liaison Officer will have to
set up his/her own office (“home office”) and travel frequently to the region of responsibility. Candidate
should be ideally based in Eastern India region, preferably, Kolkatta or Siliguri.
An Induction Training will be provided to the Liaison Officer.
This is a local posting in India and Indian Nationals or Persons of Indian Origin are strongly encouraged
to apply. Foreigners should be advised that no visa support will be given for residence or work permits.
Applications (Motivation letter indicating how the candidate fits the requirements and why the
candidate wishes to apply for the post, Honorarium indication and Curriculum Vitae) should be
sent to the following address: email@example.com
with the reference: LO India 4
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline for applications: 26 February 2011
Only those applicants who will be invited for an interview will be contacted