Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Program Manager - MAIZE
International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center
Location: El Batan, Texcoco, Mexico
Last Date: September 20, 2011
MAIZE - Global Alliance for Improving Food Security and the Livelihoods of the Resource-poor in the Developing World
Program Manager - MAIZE
Recurrent food price crises threaten the livelihoods of millions of poor people. Together with rice and wheat, maize provides at least 30% of the food calories of more than 4.5 billion people in 94 developing countries. They include 900 million poor consumers for whom maize is the preferred staple, 120 -140 million poor farm families, and about one-third of all malnourished children. Between now and 2050, the demand for maize in the developing world will double, and by 2025 maize will have become the crop with the greatest production globally and in the developing world. At current levels of productivity, global maize harvests will fall short of demand and millions of farm families will remain in poverty unless vigorous measures are taken to stabilize food prices, accelerate yield growth, increase incomes from more productive, sustainable and resilient maize based systems.
To address these challenges through the implementation of a global alliance/CGIAR Research Program (ˇ§MAIZEˇ¨), the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is looking for a highly motivated and experienced Program Manager. Under the auspices of the CGIAR (
www.cgiar.org ), this worldwide unique program will encompass the efforts of CIMMYT (
www.cimmyt.org ), IITA (
www.iita.org ), and more than 350 partner organizations to dramatically and sustainably increase maize food security while contributing to poverty reduction in the developing world. More detailed information can be found on
* Ensure the successful implementation of MAIZE under the guidance of the MAIZE Management Committee and in coordination with partner institutions.
* Contribute actively to developing effective research and development teams from diverse partner institutions.
* Coordinate the development of impact-oriented, realistic workplans among project members and partners, and support their effective implementation, aligned with available resources and priorities.
* Develop communication, M&E, and knowledge management strategies. Facilitate their implementation in collaboration with other personnel.
* Coordinate partnersˇ¦ assessment of research priorities to support resource allocation decisions and the development of effective research teams.
* Compile annual reports and other documents required by the CGIAR Consortium
and FUND Council.
* Coordinate annual project, management, and oversight committee meetings.
* Execute agreements (subcontracts, collaboration agreements) with major R&D partners and investors.
* M.Sc. or Ph.D. in International Development and Project Management, or closely related fields.
* Successful track record in managing major donor projects in international agricultural research, with a minimum of 10 years of professional experience.
* Excellent facilitation skills to manage interdisciplinary, multicultural, and inter-institutional teams of scientists using a pragmatic and team-based approach, and project management know-how.
* Good communication and negotiation skills.
* Excellent knowledge of English, knowledge of other major languages (in particular Spanish) of advantage.
* Familiarity with world food security situation and the role of maize research and development to effectively contribute to increasing food security, reducing poverty, and enhancing the environmental sustainability.
The position will be based at CIMMYT's Headquarters in Mexico and requires extensive international travel. MAIZE has an annual operational budget of approximately US$ 54 million that is expected to increase substantially over the coming years. The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 3 years, after which further employment is subject to performance. CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package paid in US dollars, with a range of benefits including housing allowance, life and health insurance, education allowance (to Grade 12), home leave, retirement fund, and relocation shipping assistance.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
Apply online no later than September 20th, 2011.
At www.cimmyt.org , click on 'About us - Job Opportunities- 2011/17 Position'¨ Please complete the online application, including your cover letter, competencies and experience for the position, and a detailed CV/resume.
For further information, contact Dr. Marianne Banziger, Deputy Director General, Research and Partnership,
email@example.com or the Human Resources Office,
firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to