Senior Programme Officer
Brooke Hospital for Animals (India)
Last Date: April 16, 2010
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
Reports to: Program Development Manager / Head of Program Development
The Position requires extensive traveling to all the Project locations and villages. He/she will be required to travel regularly within the existing operational areas and potential new locations across India and Nepal. This position requires 50% of working time in the field.
The Brooke (www.thebrooke.org) is one of the world’s leading equine welfare organization dedicated to achieving the welfare of working equines (horses, donkeys and mules) that suffer most in the world, and protecting the livelihoods of millions of poor people in developing countries who depend on these animals.
The Brooke India with its dedicated personnel has so far reached several areas of, Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu & Kashmir, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Tamilnadu, Uttarakhand, and Uttar Pradesh.
The Brooke India welcomes competent and dedicated people to be part of the journey towards achieving the good welfare of working equines and the people who depend on these animals in highly satisfying and challenging working environment.
The purpose of the Role: The major purpose of the role is to facilitate the overall management of projects being implemented through various Partner organizations.
To provide the required field based support and inputs in establishing sustainable mechanisms of equine welfare in the designated operational area of Brooke India and partners. Effective field level planning, implementation and monitoring along with a component of reporting of all the designated interventions is required to be fulfilled by the position. The Senior Program Officer is expected to provide leadership and work in close coordination with the Project Managers to bring about desired changes and to oversee that the implementation of the project is in accordance with the stated objectives and plans of the organization. S/He will be responsible for assessing the training needs of the Partners staff and designing modules of training for enhancing the knowledge and capacity of the implementing agency. S/He will serve as an important link for providing hands on training and hands on skill transfer to maintain the highest standards in implementation as well as for reaching out to the objective of sustainability of initiatives.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
Lead and manage the Planning & Implementation of each of designated operational units by gathering necessary information, carry out analysis, provide feedback, help the teams in developing intervention plans, build the staff capacities on program management, community development, monitoring and ground level implementation of the activities and oversee organizational adherence with the stated Goal and objectives of the Brooke India.
1. Closely interact with various stakeholders through functional staff of respective operational units to ensure better animal husbandry, management and healthcare practices amongst owners and influencing those individuals and factors that are critical in alleviating pain and suffering of the equines.
2. Collect update and analyze latest information required for better decision making. Maintain good information base and follow-up mechanism for achieving sustainable results in improved animal welfare conditions.
3. Provide hands on training in mobilizing equine owners and organizing them into small groups (SHGs)/committees/unions towards effective utilization of various local resources, optimizing care & management practices of equines, relieving pain and suffering for good welfare of equines for self reliance.
4. Facilitate preparation of intervention plans of equine owners with the respective teams after carrying out participatory root cause analysis of identified issues jointly to enable them to achieve sustainable welfare. Carry out various activities as per plan of action through the staff of respective teams and physical demonstrations of good practices as and when required.
5. Work towards influencing various factors that affect the welfare of animals through development of effective and efficient participatory tools. Deploy, monitor and improvise the activities of operational units for overall achievement of sustainable welfare of equines.
6. To carry out a Participatory Monitoring and Evaluation (PME) of the designated partner units on a quarterly basis and retune/realign the implementation strategies in consultation with the PDM, the Brooke India.
7. Develop and maintain good public relations with partners, government offices, and other key stakeholder as required for effective utilization of potential services towards holistic welfare of equines and self-reliance amongst the equine owners.
8. Any other tasks as directed by the PDM, The Brooke India
1. Will be required to work in close collaboration with the Community Development Unit and the M and E unit of the Brooke India in designing capacity building trainings, participatory approaches and in preparing useful documents, cases, and incidents by providing appropriate timely information.
2. Share, cross learn through active interaction and sharing with the Community Development Unit and the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit on a quarterly basis.
3. Support the PDM in monitoring and evaluation and overall management of the partnerships
4. To provide Verbal and written reports as required.
Qualifications, Key Skills and Experience:
The skills, abilities, experience and knowledge outlined below provide a summary of what is required to carry out this job effectively. They also form the selection criteria on which the decision on who to appoint will be made. Please ensure that you show how you meet the criteria outlined below in your application.
• At least a Post graduate in Social sciences, social work, rural development
• 10-12 years Experience of planning, implementing and monitoring projects of social/community development using participatory approaches
• Commitment to Animal welfare and compassionate to animals
• Experience in managing partners and developing concise project proposals and budgets in collaboration with the local NGO’s
• Strong analytical and project management skills. Agricultural livelihood programming experience across full project cycle or working experience in projects related to animal welfare or husbandry
• Strong communication skills using IEC in effective and planned manner
• Experience of using community participatory approaches in , monitoring and evaluation
• Ability to speak and write fluent English
• Ability to represent the organization confidently to internal and external audience
• Experience of financial management and budget planning
• Team player, open to leaning and feedback, should have a sense of humour
• Ability to travel and work independently
• Good IT skills (familiar with email communications and working on spreadsheets and using MS office)
• Understanding of local and National security issues and basic security management
• Good networking and advocacy skills.
How to apply: Please send your CV by email to
in MS Word by 16th April 2010. Please mention in the subject “application for the post of “Senior Program Officer”. Also, send a brief note of around 300 words - why do you think you are suitable for Senior Program Officer’s position.
Remuneration will be Rupees 4.60 Lakhs including benefits.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.