Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Director of External Affairs
Bronx Charter School For Excellence / Harris Rand Lusk
Location: New York
Last Date: January 25, 2011
The Bronx Charter School for Excellence (“BCSE”) opened its doors in 2004 with a mission of preparing young people from the Parkchester area of the Bronx to be admitted to and succeed at top public, private and parochial high schools by cultivating their intellectual, artistic, social emotional and ethical development. The school accomplishes this by offering a rigorous academic curriculum with an eye towards college preparation at the earliest of grades. BCSE provides a supportive and caring environment that sets high expectations of their students and their families. These high standards coupled with a strong curriculum taught by effective teachers who believe every child has the ability to succeed, are the hallmark of the school.
The school has an excellent reputation and is ranked as the best elementary school in the Bronx, and the 3rd overall in the City. It currently serves more that 380 children in grades Kindergarten through 6th, and as part of the expansion, opened a middle school in September 2010. BCSE has additional plans to expand. As such, BCSE is looking to hire its first Director of External Affairs to play a major role in that expansion.
Capitalizing on the outstanding academic achievement of BCSE, the Director of External Affairs (“Director”) will have an integral part in the development and implementation of a strategic plan to maintain the core work of BCSE while facilitating its expansion into new areas and communities. The Director will be expected to create excitement about the important work of BCSE, strengthen relationships with donors, public officials and other constituencies, and partner with the Head of School and Board of Trustees to raise the organization’s visibility and increase revenue. This position will report to the Head of School.
The candidate must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively in a supportive and direct manor with a minimum of ego. He or she will also have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, a hands on management style and the ability to address and solve problems and issues as they arrive. In addition, he or she will be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
• Work closely with the Head of School, Director of Finance and Operations, Board of Trustees, and key constituents to plan and execute a comprehensive development program based on long and short-term needs.
• Create and manage a Capital Campaign to raise public and private funds to support the expansion of the middle school.
• Implement and oversee the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of funders including individuals, corporations and foundations.
• Maintain current public funding streams
• Oversee the development budget to maximize resources
• Prepare all proposals, materials, reports and correspondence for donors
• Plan all donor and public fundraising events
Communications and Marketing
• Ensure that BCSE is proactively cultivating ongoing media relationships
• Create and execute a broad based marketing strategy to promote a favorable public image to internal and external audiences.
• Monitor the budget for communications and marketing efforts to maximize resources
• Oversee media strategies including visual, web and electronic communication
• Work with the Head of School to address the diverse interests of elected officials and policy professionals to help them better understand the needs of the community served by BCSE and the value to the community provided by BCSE.
• Identify and cultivate positive working relationships with public and community officials who can provide financial support BCSE’s initiatives.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school; advanced degree preferred.
• Minimum of five years of professional experience with proven success in development, external affairs and/or public relations.
• Experience building visibility for an organization through the creation and implementation of marketing and public relations campaigns.
• Success as an effective communicator in written and verbal form, including proven public speaking skills.
• Broad functional experience in areas of strategic planning and marketing, market research and planning and promotions/advertising
• Experience with public policy and advocacy
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an optimistic approach towards achieving ambitious goals.
• Strong work ethic, resourceful with a can-do attitude.
For more information about Bronx Charter School for Excellence, please visit their website at
Bronx Charter School is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to a diverse workforce.
Bronx Charter School for Excellence has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner
Sue Waterbury, Senior Director
Harris Rand Lusk
261 Madison Avenue, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10016
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to