Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to almost
0.5 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Program Design Officer – West Africa
African Wildlife Foundation (AWF)
Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Last Date: August 9, 2010
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
The African Wildlife Foundation (AWF), an international conservation organization, is recruiting a Program Design (PD) Officer to generate funding from public sector and government sources for AWF’s landscape-level conservation and livelihoods programs in the Regional Parc W area of Burkina Faso, Niger and Benin, and future sites in the West Africa Region. This position will work closely with AWF’s regional program team, cross-site technical program staff, finance staff, and fellow program design team members, and will report directly to the Vice President for Program Design. The person hired will have excellent written and oral communication skills, appropriate technical and fundraising experience, and a sound understanding of contemporary conservation and development issues in Africa; and will be fully fluent in French and proficient or fluent in English.
Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Type: Full-time, minimum two year contract
Department: Program Design
The Officer will lead AWF’s efforts to build positive and lasting relationships with bilateral and multi-lateral development funding agencies active in Burkina Faso, Niger and Benin. Specific duties include relationship management with donors; supporting the field team in designing effective conservation plans to market to donor agencies; preparing high quality funding proposals, including research, helping field teams form effective technical partnerships, drafting and finalizing text, and award negotiation processes, with a goal of raising US$ 750,000/year of public restricted funds; providing support to landscape teams in effectively managing grants by tracking budgets and progress in accomplishing work plans; managing and drafting technical reports for donor agencies; providing analytical support to AWF’s landscape program by documenting lessons learned and success stories; contributing to annual budgeting and conservation planning processes; and representing AWF in international and local fora, as requested. The AWF PD team is a small team comprising two officers in each of three regions in Africa, plus two officers in Europe and two in the US, and PD officers are expected to work closely and collaboratively in support of one another’s programs of work. AWF launched worked in the Regional Parc W recently, so this is an outstanding opportunity to play a role in designing and development a new and long-term conservation program.
• Reputable Undergraduate and Postgraduate degrees in relevant field (e.g. economics, business, conservation, natural resource management, rural development).
• Substantial experience working at a responsible level, including direct experience in conservation and development in Africa.
• Proven track record in grant writing and raising public funding, including marketing and presenting project ideas to donors.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including in multi-cultural contexts.
• Ability to conceptualize and write project documents (including budgets, logical frameworks, and work plans) and reports.
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Internet Explorer).
• Ability to work as part of a team and independently, including with colleagues remotely located.
• Ability to multi-task and meet strict deadlines.
• Fluency in written and spoken French AND proficiency or fluency in English is essential. Proficiency in Djerma or Gourmantché also an advantage.
• Willingness to travel up to 20% of the time, including to remote areas.
Competitive salary and relocation package. Interested candidates should forward a 2-3 page CV, cover letter and a sample of original, written work in French to
email@example.com by 9 August 2010.
AWF is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies each day via
3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. Only USD 44 for 3 months. Over 1380
positions filled in 2009.
Click here to