Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Software Engineer - Web & Database Programming
AVRDC – The World Vegetable Center
Last Date: November 5, 2010
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
AVRDC – The World Vegetable Center is a nonprofit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and regional offices around the globe. AVRDC conducts research and development programs that contribute to improved incomes and diets in the developing world. More information can be obtained from the Center’s website www.avrdc.org
AVRDC is seeking a Software Engineer to program databases and build web services to be based at its Headquarters in Shanhua, Taiwan. The incumbent will provide professional guidance in the development of web-accessible databases and assist in the maintenance of the Center’s intranet and internet. AVRDC uses more than 50 significant databases, including relational databases for the genebank and Agrobase II for management of plant breeding operations. The Center’s internet site is built on the Typo3 CMS.
The appointee will report to the Head of Communications and Information and work closely with the IT team and other key users of database and web services. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Upgrading the genebank database and other databases, and improving their access and usability for the web
• Maintenance and redevelopment of AVRDC internet and intranet site
• Define and develop the Center’s web architecture, including policy and guidelines
• Manage content management tools and develop reusable templates
• Manage project implementation and support existing systems
• University degree in Information / Computer Science or its equivalent
• At least 2-3 years experience working in database, web development and web applications
• Demonstrated experience in the use of SQL databases and MySQL
• Demonstrated experience in web development tools, including HTML, XML, CSS, SSL, Java Script, and Content Management Systems such as Typo3 or Drupal
• Demonstrated practical skills in programming tools such as ASP, PHP, Visual Basic, CGI, PERL, Cold Fusion, or NetObjects Fusion
• Ability to communicate fluently in English
• Good interpersonal skills are essential. Experience of working in an international environment would be an asset.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with competitive pay and benefits. The initial appointment is for three years and may be extended for another term depending on requirement, funding availability, and performance of the incumbent.
How to Apply
Submit a letter of application with curriculum vitae, a recent passport size photograph and names and addresses (including telephone/fax/e-mail) of three referees by e-mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org before 5th November 2010.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to