Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
PDF - Agricultural Economist
Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice)
Location: Cotonou, Benin
Last Date: July 30, 2011
The PDF - Agricultural Economist
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a Post-Doctoral Fellow (PDF) Agricultural Economist to be based at its temporary headquarters in Cotonou, Benin.
H/she will be part of a multi-disciplinary research team working to sustain and improve the productivity of rice value chain in Africa through the improvement of rice harvest and postharvest handling and operations, and through the improvement of the quality of local rice-based product. He or She will conduct research activities related to the implementation of project funded by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) to improve postharvest handling and marketing of rice, and the development of new rice-based products. The objective of the project is to increase food security and sustainable livelihoods among rice value chain actors in Africa.
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is an association of 24 African member states and one of the 15 international Centers supported by the Consortium of International Agricultural Research Centers (CGIAR). The Centers mission is to contribute to poverty alleviation and food security in Africa, through research, development and partnership activities aimed at increasing the productivity and profitability of the rice sector in ways that ensure the sustainability of the farming environment. AfricaRice is temporarily headquartered in Cotonou, Benin.
Under the direct supervision of the Policy Economist, the successful candidate will be in charge of the following tasks:
1. Contribute to the improved understanding of global and regional rice markets dynamics, and analyze alternative strategies and policy options for the integration of regional and national rice markets.
2. Conduct research on the structure, operations and performance of rice import markets in Africa and analyze the effectiveness of policy options for harmonizing and coordinating rice imports and rice storage.
3. Conduct research on the efficiency of the local rice value chain through analysis of marketing channels, margins and costs.
4. Contribute to the capacity building of partners in national agricultural research systems and supervise graduate students.
5. Develop and maintain active policy communication with national and regional counterparts.
6. Publish research results in peer-reviewed journals and other relevant outlets.
7. Develop concept notes and proposals in strategic research areas and contribute to resource mobilization efforts.
8. Undertake any other duties as required by the needs of the Center.
A PhD in agricultural economics, economics or related fields
Specialization in agricultural marketing and trade analysis
More than two years work experience, preferably in Africa
Strong quantitative analysis skills
Excellent communication skills in either English or French, with a working knowledge of the other
A good publication record
Proven ability to work efficiently as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
Willingness to travel extensively in Africa
Ability to work with other scientists and partners
Ability to work under minimal supervision
Terms and Conditions
This is an internationally recruited position. AfricaRice provides an attractive international salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. The appointment is for two years with possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (with a statement of any special qualifications for the position). The application should include a cover letter together with an up-to-date, detailed CV with the following information: name, family name, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, qualifications, number of years of professional experience for the position and language skills; along with the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees to:
Human Resources Department,
Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice)
01 BP 2031 Cotonou, Benin
F: + (229) 21 35 05 56; T: (229) 21 35 01 88
Please quote the reference of the announcement as the subject of your application.
Applications will be considered up to 30 July 2011.
AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations, and encourages applications from women and developing country professionals.
AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only the short listed candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about AfricaRice, please visit our website at
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to