Institutional Strengthening Specialist
Academy for Educational Development
Location: New Delhi
Last Date: February 4, 2011
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
Position : Institutional Strengthening Specialist
Project : Behavior Change Communication for Improving Healthy Behaviors Program in India
Supervisor : IS Chief Technical Advisor
The AED Center for Global Health Communication and Marketing (CGHCM) works to bring about positive changes in the actions of individuals, communities, and institutions that will improve the health and well-being of vulnerable populations around the world. Through bilateral funding from USAID/India, AED’s India BCC-IHBP Task Order will focus on institutional strengthening for health communication at the national level and also in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The project will use evidence based approaches to design BCC strategies for HIV/AIDS, TB, MCH and FP/RH that reach to the community level and focus on individual and social change. Through advocacy and other community interventions, vulnerable communities will be empowered to address many health issues such as stigma, gender and rights.
The India BCC-IHBP IS Specialist will contribute to initiatives for strengthening public, for profit and not-for-profit institution’s capacity for improved Behavior Change Communication. In doing so, IS Specialist will bring state-of-the-art Institutional Strengthening knowledge and experience through Technical Assistance (TA) and training to achieve project’s four key results; work with the Institutional Strengthening and Advocacy (ISA) Chief Technical Advisor, Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) teams in Delhi and IS team in UP to coordinate program design, implementation, and monitoring; and provide support to the IS Technical Advisor, IS Specialist and IS Officer in Uttar Pradesh and selected districts.
Essential Job Functions
Specific responsibilities include but will not be limited to:
• Assisting preparation of IS component of the projects work plans, and achievement of related deliverables
• Providing assistance to designing and implementing effective IS plans and strategies for national level, consistent with the project work plan and Award Monitoring Plan (AMP)
• Participating in and facilitating the activities such as –
o Identification and review of national and state based organizations for their capacity to work as nodal organization for MoHFW, MoWCD and /or NACO at national and/or state levels, and sub-contracting of the nodal organizations
o Drafting and finalization of Memorandum of Understanding for technical assistance with MoHFW, NACO and MWCD and its associated government agencies at national level and provide support to the state project office for the same
o Ongoing technical and mentoring support to the nodal organizations at the national level; support the state project office for the same
o Identification of short-term technical assistance needs and guide the identification of consultants and agencies that can contribute to implementation of annual work plan
o Capacity building of & technical assistance to the state & district project teams in Institutional Strengthening
o Support to the state project office in review of BCC capacities and BCC strategies implementation within DFW, its training agencies/institutes at state level and counterparts in the project districts
o Documentation and management of project interventions including reporting, Institutional strengthening related materials development and production, activities undertaken, impact measurement, etc.
o Regular team updates and sharing on progress and plans under ISA component of the project
o Quarterly and annual reports as required detailing the performance of the IS program, including reports as required by AED/HQ and others as directed by IS Chief Technical Advisor and/or DCOP
• Providing technical support to central Government and national nodal organizations to –
o Review organizational BCC capacities in MoHFW, MoWCD, NACO and their respective training agencies/institutes and nodal organizations
o Develop a IS capacity building plan and facilitate its implementation
o Ongoing efforts in strengthening capacities within the IEC divisions of the MoHFW, NACO and MWCD and other relevant ministries
o Strengthen review, planning and implementation of the Behavior Change Communication strategies in the NRHM, NACP-III, RNTCP and related programs
o Strengthen the BCC Institutional Strengthening component in the country’s Twelfth Five Years’ Plan for health and other similar policy and program level opportunities
• Represent the project, as directed by IS Chief Technical Advisor and/or DCOP, in any working group, committee, or task force addressing Institutional Strengthening
• Perform other activities as determined by IS Chief Technical Advisor and/or DCOP
The ideal candidate will hold the following qualifications:
• Masters in Business Administration, Public Administration, Health Communication, Social Sciences and/or equivalent degree from a reputed university/ institute
• Eight years of relevant working experience in the following areas –
o Technical assistance to NHSRC, NIHFW, NIPCCD and/ or their counterparts in the EAG states, preferably in planning and implementing organization systems strengthening (human resources, supplies, management processes, monitoring, supportive supervision, etc.) initiatives, and
o Building capacity of health workers (incl. training plans, materials, etc.) and training quality assurance
• Familiarity with NRHM, NACP-III, RNTCP and/or ICDS.
• Knowledge of global, national and state innovations in health systems strengthening
• Consultative and collaborative approach; ability to work with diverse groups and in a challenging environment.
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills in English and in Hindi, including writing skills in English. Knowledge of local UP dialects shall be an asset.
• Experience and a high degree of competency using Windows-based computer programs
• Willingness to travel within and outside the country as per project needs
• Experience of working with USAID funded projects
• Mentoring and team building skills
• At least 2 years of experience in working with Government departments (Health and Family Welfare, SACS and/or ICDS), preferably in Uttar Pradesh or EAG States
• Ability to write and type in Hindi fonts
• Membership of networks/alliances at Global/National/State levels
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job
AED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women candidates are encouraged to apply. To apply, please write to
and mention the position you are applying for. The last date for application is 4 February 2011.