Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
AED / Behavior Change Communication for Improving Healthy Behaviors Program in India
Location: New Delhi
Last Date: March 29, 2011
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
Position : Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Organization : AED
Project : Behavior Change Communication for Improving Healthy Behaviors Program in India
Supervisor : M&E Chief Technical Advisor
Location : New Delhi
The AED Center for Global Health Communication and Marketing (CGHCM) works to bring about positive changes in the actions of individuals, communities, and institutions that will improve the health and well-being of vulnerable populations around the world. Through bilateral funding from USAID/India, AED’s India BCC-IHBP Task Order will focus on institutional strengthening for health communication at the national level and also in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The project will use evidence based approaches to design BCC strategies for program elements, i.e., HIV/AIDS, TB, MCH and FP/RH, which reach to the community level and focus on individual and social change. Through advocacy and other community interventions, vulnerable communities will be empowered to address many health issues such as stigma, gender and rights.
The India BCC-IHBP M&E Specialist will participate in monitoring and evaluation initiatives for the project and in strengthening M&E capacity in Government and nodal organizations for improved Behavior Change Communication. In doing so, the M&E Specialist will bring state-of-the-art monitoring and evaluation approaches and experience through technical assistance (TA) and capacity building to achieve project’s four key results; work with M&E team, Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) and Institutional Strengthening and Advocacy (ISA) teams in Delhi and M&E team in Uttar Pradesh to develop, establish and ensure effective implementation of project M&E plan; build capacity of Government and nodal organizations in use of BCC indicators for planning and monitoring progress; oversee quality of services and deliverables from consultants, subcontractors, vendors.
Essential Job Functions
Specific responsibilities include but will not be limited to:
• Participating in and facilitating –
o Design and development of Award Monitoring Plan for the project
o Design and implementation of an effective monitoring and evaluation plan consistent with the annual work plan and the approved Award Monitoring Plan (AMP)
o Drafting and development of annual work plan (AWP), formulating the time lines in consultation with other program colleagues, timeline and budget for all the program activities mentioned in the work plan
o Designing and implementation of quantitative and qualitative studies relevant to the project
o Information gathering from Joint Review Mission, Common Review Mission, Mid Term Reviews and other evaluations conducted by MoHFW and NACO to review progress of NRHM and NACP-III
o Development and management of information systems for data bases of trainings, activities, reports, and products, compiled across all BCC-IHBP districts
o Support to the project teams in reporting and documenting achievements and lessons learned, including compilation of quantitative, qualitative and anecdotal information in a publishable form
o Review of project progress in the state through project MIS, rapid assessments and other information sources and using it for providing timely feedback to project technical team for course correction
o Timely and systematic compilation and submission of reports, including routine quarterly (QPR), annual (APR), or any other report required by AED HQ and/ or USAID
• Providing technical support to central Government and national nodal organizations to –
o Improve the reliability of services statistics and BCC related data and increase the use of existing data for planning and providing timely feedback
o Strengthen the Government MIS for NRHM, RNTCP and NACP- III on BCC indicators
o Design and oversee the collection of project monitoring data which will relate to behavioral impacts across the project’s program elements
o Increase access to and use of information at all levels
• Collecting and compiling all relevant national, state and district specific data from the national/state held surveys during the project life and updating the project teams
• Some of the additional responsibilities as support to the state and district M&E team, like –
o developing tools for monitoring
o providing oversight and regular checks to project data collected
o providing feedback for improving the project MIS
o developing presentations and reports for sharing with project and Government stakeholders
o Facilitating integration of BCC and discrimination and stigma monitoring indicators in the Government MIS at state and district levels.
• Representing the project, as directed by the M&E Chief Technical Advisor and/or Deputy Chief of Party in any working group, committee, or task force addressing Social and Behavior Change Communication
• Working in close coordination and supporting the other SBCC Specialist at Delhi in activities as required
• Performing any other activities assigned by the CTA (SBCC), DCOP or COP
The ideal candidate will hold the following qualifications:
• Master degree in Statistics, Economics, Demography, Social Sciences or equivalent degree
• Eight years of relevant experience, preferably in Uttar Pradesh or other EAG states, in –
o Designing, developing and implementing monitoring and reporting systems for health program elements, i.e., FP/RH, HIV/AIDS, TB, or MCH
o Designing, implementing, analyzing and reporting large scale quantitative studies in the area of program elements and/or
o Designing, implementing, analyzing and reporting formative/ qualitative research.
• Experience of using statistical packages like SPSS, Stata, etc. and qualitative packages like Altas.ti, NVivo, etc.
• Familiarity with monitoring and evaluation indicators used in NRHM, NACP-III and/or RNTCP.
• Thorough knowledge of social science, demographic and market research, monitoring and evaluation, data dissemination techniques, policy analysis and policy development in the area of health, nutrition and HIV/AIDS
• Experience in handling quantitative and qualitative data collection, analysis, report writing and dissemination
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills in English and in Hindi, including writing skills in English
• Leadership and supportive supervision skills; preferably with experience in leading multi-level teams
• Consultative and collaborative approach; ability to work with diverse groups and in a challenging environment.
• Experience and a high degree of competency using Windows-based computer programs
• Willingness to travel within and outside the country as per project needs
• Doctoral degree (PhD) or equivalent from a reputed university/ institute
• Experience of working with USAID funded projects
• Ability to handle sensitive and complex issues diplomatically
• Writing skills in Hindi
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job.
AED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women candidates are encouraged to apply. To apply, please write to
and mention the position you are applying for. The last date for application is 29 Mar 2011.