SBCC Technical Advisor
Last Date: January 28, 2011
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
AED Job Description
SBCC Technical Advisor
Behavior Change Communication for Improving Healthy Behaviors Program in India
Supervisor : Technical Director, Uttar Pradesh
Location : Lucknow
Project Duration : The duration of this project will be 10/25/2010 to 09/30/2013
The AED Center for Global Health Communication and Marketing (CGHCM) works to bring about positive changes in the actions of individuals, communities, and institutions that will improve the health and well-being of vulnerable populations around the world. Through bilateral funding from USAID/India, AED’s India BCC-IHBP project will focus on institutional strengthening for health communication at the national level and also in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The project will use evidence based approaches to design BCC strategies for program elements, i.e., HIV/AIDS, TB, MCH and FP/RH that reach to the community level and focus on individual and social change. Through advocacy and other community interventions, vulnerable communities will be empowered to address many health issues such as stigma, gender and rights.
The SBCC Technical Advisor, based in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, will bring Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) knowledge and experience through Technical Assistance (TA) and capacity building to achieve project’s key results in the select districts. S/he shall work along with the Institutional Strengthening & Advocacy (ISA) and Monitoring & Evaluation Advisors in the state to coordinate SBCC strategy design, implementation, and monitoring. S/he shall also supervise the SBCC Specialists and Consultants working in the state. S/he shall report to the Technical Director, UP and provide regular periodic updates to the Chief Technical Advisor (SBCC) Delhi on progress of social mobilization and SBCC initiatives.
Essential Job Functions
Specific responsibilities include, but will not be limited, to:
• Leading design and implementation of effective SBCC strategies and plans for state and district levels consistent with the project Award Monitoring Plan (AMP) and Annual work Plan
• Overseeing preparation of SBCC component of project annual and quarterly work plan and budget for the state and districts
• Developing and monitoring state specific SBCC strategies for HIV/AIDS, TB, MCH, and FP/RH and provide guidance to development and implementation of district specific SBCC strategies in the project areas
• Supporting the ISA team in designing and implementing SBCC-specific capacity building activities at state and district levels
• Providing support to implementation of the social mobilization strategy at state and district levels.
• Working with selected state nodal institutions and the UP government to plan, design, and implement SBCC strategies and campaigns through a mentoring, learning by doing approach
• Supervising the creation of innovative SBCC and social mobilization materials, training in tool use and their dissemination
• Facilitating development of guidelines and supervise implementation of mid-media and IPC activities at state, district and sub-district levels using participatory techniques
• Supervising the creation of innovative counseling job aids (flip charts, flash cards, games, training films) around program elements, training in tool use, and their dissemination
• Exploring the use of community radio and innovative mobile content development around program elements
• Identifying short-term technical assistance needs and local agencies that can contribute to the SBCC work plan
• Identifying research needs relevant to community organization (CO) and social mobilization (SM) from state to community levels
• Assisting in review of grants applications and during their implementation provide mentoring for SBCC inputs.
• Providing technical support to State Program Field Manager in overseeing district implementation of social mobilization plans with special focus on rights-based, participatory approaches
• Preparing quarterly and annual reports detailing the performance of the SBCC program as required by the UP/ national team leads
• Supervising SBCC Specialists and Consultants so as to ensure their timely deliverables according to the tasks assigned
• Performing any other tasks assigned by the Technical Director and/or Project Director
The ideal candidate will hold the following qualifications:
• Masters degree in Communication, Journalism, Mass communication and/or equivalent degree from a reputed institute
• Ten years of relevant working experience in at least two of the following areas –
o Designing and development of BCC programs, preferably in FP/RH, HIV/AIDS, TB, and/or MCH, at state, district and block level
o Capacity building for BCC
o Designing and development of messages and materials for BCC using mid-media, IPC and participatory content creation for IEC/BCC
o Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation of IEC/BCC activities
• Additional experience of/ in –
o leading interactions with community members, PRIs, SHGs, front line staff and social influencers
o working with Government departments (Health and Family Welfare, SACS and/or ICDS), preferably in Uttar Pradesh or other EAG states
• Knowledge and understanding of IEC/BCC message and materials development incl. AV content creation, print and design
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills in English and in Hindi, including writing skills in English
• Leadership and supportive supervision skills; preferably with experience in leading multi-level teams
• Consultative and collaborative approach; ability to work with diverse groups and in a challenging environment.
• Experience and a high degree of competency using Windows-based computer programs
• Willingness to travel within and outside the country as per project needs
• Experience of working with USAID funded projects
• Writing skills in Hindi
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job.
AED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women candidates are encouraged to apply. To apply, please write to
and mention the position you are applying for. The last date for application is 28 January 2011.