Last Date: January 20, 2011
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
AED Job Description
Behavior Change Communication for Improving Healthy Behaviors Program in India
Supervisor : Project Director
Location : Lucknow
Project Duration : The duration of this project will be 10/25/2010 to 09/30/2013
The AED Center for Global Health Communication and Marketing (CGHCM) works to bring about positive changes in the actions of individuals, communities, and institutions that will improve the health and well-being of vulnerable populations around the world. Through bilateral funding from USAID/India, AED’s India BCC-IHBP Task Order will focus on institutional strengthening for health communication at the national level and also in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The project will use evidence based approaches to design BCC strategies for program elements, i.e., HIV/AIDS, TB, MCH and FP/RH that reach to the community level and focus on individual and social change. Through advocacy and other community interventions, vulnerable communities will be empowered to address many health issues such as stigma, gender and rights.
The India BCC-IHBP Technical Director will supervise management of state based Social Behavior Change Communication, Institution Strengthening/Capacity Building, Process Documentation and Monitoring and Evaluation functions; work with the Chief of Party/Deputy Chief of Party / Project Director (Uttar Pradesh) to ensure effective communication, coordination, and collaboration between Delhi, Lucknow and district offices; oversee quality of services and deliverables from consultants, subcontractors, vendors; and stand in as needed for the Project Director.
Essential Job Functions
Specific responsibilities include but will not be limited to:
• Providing technical inputs and program oversight to the SBCC, institution strengthening/capacity building/ advocacy, M&E and documentation activities at state level to ensure timely and quality achievement of deliverables committed in the Award Monitoring Plan (AMP) and annual work plans.
• Providing inputs and oversight to all processes at state level related to RFPs and MOUs, needs assessments, module and material design /pretesting/ finalization/implementation and feedback, stakeholder meetings and engagements.
• Coordinating with and provide technical support in implementation of field activities in ten districts.
• Coordinating with and facilitating provision of quality and need based technical support to nodal institutions and training organizations selected in Uttar Pradesh.
• Providing guidance to advocacy initiatives by the project to promote attention to BCC in health programs, address issues of gender and stigma and disseminating lessons learnt from the implementation of BCC IHBP.
• Ensuring that the training modules and guidelines, BCC messages/materials and other technical inputs by BCC-IHBP are accurate, evidence-based and in line with provisions of the task order, state priorities / guidelines and committed work plans
• Providing supportive supervision, timely feedback and mentoring support to the Social Behavior Change Communication, Institutional Strengthening/ Capacity Building and Monitoring & Evaluation Technical Advisors, and any other UP BCC-IHBP staff as may be required
• Through the M&E Advisor, ensuring regular monitoring of project activities under IRs 1, 2, 3 and 4 and establish an effective feedback system
• Leading the preparation of state Project Reports (quarterly, mid-term and annual) and other reports/documents as required from time to time
• Contributing to the preparation and finalization of USAID technical deliverables as per AED Task Order for review and approval by Project Director, DCOP and COP
• Participating in review of needs identified for short-term technical assistance (STTA), oversee preparation of Scopes of Work from Technical Advisors in the state and quality of services and deliverables from consultants, subcontractors, vendors
• Providing inputs and advocacy support to Project Director on government and local stakeholder relations and promote cooperation with the State Government / District Administration and other allies, partners, and stakeholders
• Working with Project Director/Uttar Pradesh, Deputy Chief of Party and Chief of Party to ensure effective communication, coordination, and collaboration between Delhi, Lucknow and district teams
• Providing technical inputs and support to the Knowledge Management Advisor and Private Sector Advisor in Delhi
• Assisting the Project Director, DCOP and COP in recruitment of technical staff for the project
• Ensuring compliance with USAID and AED policies and procedures
• As requested by the Project Director, DCOP and COP, representing the project and AED in national and regional meetings with USAID/India, the GOI, the GOUP, other stakeholders, partners, and technical staff
• Performing any other duties as may be assigned by the Project Director and the Chief of Party
The ideal candidate will hold the following qualifications:
• Master degree from a reputed university/ institute in social work, sociology, public health, business management, health communication or related field.
• 12-15 years relevant working experience in the area of
o planning and implementing systems strengthening and building capacity of health workers (incl. training plans, materials and training quality assurance tools), and/ or
o designing, planning and facilitating implementation of IEC/ BCC interventions for health issues, preferably in program elements, and/ or
o monitoring and reporting systems for health programs, preferably in program elements
• Around five years of relevant experience in a senior capacity with managerial & administrative responsibilities.
• Experience of liaison with and technical assistance to MoHFW, SACS and/ or MoWCD, preferably in Uttar Pradesh or other EAG states.
• Knowledge of and experience in behavior change communication, institutional strengthening and/ or advocacy with government/NGOs and/or media on health interventions.
• Familiarity with NRHM, NACP-III and/or RNTCP.
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills in English and in Hindi, including writing skills in English
• Leadership and supportive supervision skills; preferably with experience in leading multi-level teams
• Consultative and collaborative approach; ability to work with diverse groups and in a challenging environment.
• Experience and a high degree of competency using Windows-based computer programs
• Willingness to travel within and outside the country as per project needs.
• Experience of working with USAID funded projects is desirable.
• Experience of working with NACO and / or WCD or their State counterparts.
• Knowledge of U.S. government regulations (22CFR226, Omb circular A-122), procedures, and contracting requirements and financial management.
• Writing skills in Hindi.
• Knowledge and experience of using various advocacy channels.
• Membership of networks/alliances at Global/National/State levels.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job.
AED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women candidates are encouraged to apply. To apply, please write to
and mention the position you are applying for. The last date for application is 28 January 2011.