Academy for Educational Development (AED)
Location: Uttar Pradesh / Gujarat
Last Date: November 12, 2010
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
Position: Program Officers
Location: Uttar Pradesh / Gujarat (Transferable anywhere in India depending on project requirement.
Supervisor: State Program Manager
Starting Salary: Commensurate with education & experience
Employer : Academy for Educational Development (AED)
Founded in 1961, AED is an independent, nonprofit organization working with private sector partners to reach the base-of-the-pyramid (lower income Indians), both rural and urban. AED works in all the major areas of human development, with a focus on improving education, health, environment, democracy and economic opportunities for the least advantaged in the United States and 167 developing countries throughout the world.
AED health projects are implemented on behalf of various international donor agencies. Through policy dialogue, behavioral change strategies, partnerships with the commercial sector, and building the capacity of local institutions and communities, AED promotes healthy lifestyles while addressing the problems of malnutrition and food security, HIV/AIDS, malaria, and infectious diseases.
A new intervention has been initiated in Gujarat & Uttar Pradesh, India, which will test a number of demonstration and operation research models and come up with scalable and sustainable strategies to increase knowledge and promote prescriptions and use of Zinc formulations in management of childhood diarrhea. The projects will involve interaction between multiple partners like various Pharmaceutical manufacturers, NGOs, public health agencies and professional bodies like IAP, IMA, NIMA, UPCDA etc. The project will work extensively among the formal & rural medical practitioners and retail chemists to introduce new diarrhoea treatment practices. Subsequently, subject to funding availability, the project will be gradually scaled up to cover entire UP and beyond. This project will work largely with informal health providers, chemists and caregivers.
The Program Officer will assist the State Program Manager in identifying suitable project partners and create an effective public-private partnership in his/her areas. Further, s/he will help develop appropriate marketing strategies, support the development of key planning documents, and establish relationships and follow up the implementation of agreed upon activities.
The Program Officer Key result areas will be as follows:
• Identify and select NGO partners. Educate selected NGO personnel to function effectively as Grass root medical representatives by imparting product knowledge, detailing skills and IPC skills. Help the project staff to draw up territory coverage plans for their designated areas.
• Finalize reporting documents and establish methods to obtain periodic reports.
• Assist the State Program Manager in developing the various planning and monitoring documents and a communication strategy where necessary.
• Assist in catalyzing and maintaining a public-private partnership.
• Supervise the project field staff in reaching their objective of saturating all the rural health care providers in their assigned areas.
• Follow up on the progress of all agreed activities at each project site.
• Assist various consultants and agencies in conducting periodic monitoring and evaluation.
In addition to the above, the Program Officer will also be responsible for conducting any other activities of the project as delegated by the Country Director from time to time.
The Project is currently scheduled to run till Oct 2013. The Program Officer continued employment with project depends upon receipt of continued funding and the quality of the coordinator’s performance.
Skill & Abilities:
• The Program Officer should be a graduate preferably with Post Graduate qualifications in management, mass communications and/or social welfare. In addition, s/he should have:
• At least 3 years experience with pharmaceuticals or consumer products. Experience with rural sales desirable.
• Field sales / sales management experience in pharmaceutical marketing organizations as a first line manager.
• Experience of Social Marketing and working for or with NGOs will be an added advantage.
• Developing and ensuring marketing plans are implemented at scale
• Developing partnerships with pharmaceutical companies
• Good command over written and spoken English and Hindi.
• Familiarity with and work experience in UP/Gujrat.
• Proficient in MS office.
Cover letter and resumes should be sent to
by DAY, November 12, 2010.