Social Mobilization Specialist
AED / Behavior Change Communication for Improving Healthy Behaviors Program in India
Last Date: March 31, 2011
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
Position : Social Mobilization Specialist
Organization : AED
Project : Behavior Change Communication for Improving Healthy Behaviors Program in India
Supervisor : SBCC Technical Advisor
Location : Lucknow
The AED Center for Global Health Communication and Marketing (CGHCM) works to bring about positive changes in the actions of individuals, communities, and institutions that will improve the health and well-being of vulnerable populations around the world. Through bilateral funding from USAID/India, AED’s India BCC-IHBP Task Order will focus on institutional strengthening for health communication at the national level and also in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The project will use evidence based approaches to design BCC strategies for HIV/AIDS, TB, MCH and FP/RH that reach to the community level and focus on individual and social change. Through advocacy and other community interventions, vulnerable communities will be empowered to address many health issues such as stigma, gender and rights.
The India BCC-IHBP Social Mobilization (SM) Specialist will work in collaboration with the technical teams in the Uttar Pradesh AED office contributing the rights-based perspective to project activities, specifically related to community organization and social mobilization. The state level team comprises a technical team, with competencies in monitoring and evaluation, institutional strengthening, advocacy, social and behavior change communication and program management, as well as an operations team to support project implementation. This position works in close co-ordination with the state SBCC Advisor and the SBCC Specialists. S/he shall report to the SBCC Technical Advisor and provide regular periodic updates to the Chief Technical Advisor (SBCC) Delhi on progress of social mobilization initiatives.
Essential Job Functions
Specific responsibilities include but will not be limited to:
• Working with state level Government departments in health and family welfare, women and child development, HIV/AIDS, Panchayati Raj Institutions and other relevant bodies in the four program areas, to build an appropriate social mobilization strategy to ensure that peoples and communities are at the centre of policies, schemes and interventions under NRHM, RNTCP and NACP-III.
• Identifying research needs relevant to community organization (CO) and social mobilization (SM) from state to community levels
• Use evidence from research to strengthen formation and functioning of new alliance of civil society organizations for HIV/AIDS, FP/RH, MCH and TB related issues. Where no alliance exists, act as the advocacy forum in the state. In this process, s/he will ensure that the alliance partners work collectively in a spirit of mutual cooperation and through consensual decision-making, ensuring complementarities of various stakeholders’ actions as far as possible.
• Assess capacity building needs of nodal agencies; community based NGOs; Self Help groups; Front Line Workers, vulnerable groups and other social entities for implementing SM/CM activities.
• Assess effectiveness of existing CO/SM materials and identify the need for revision or creation of new materials (with SBCC team support )
• Support the development, pre testing, training and dissemination of SM/CM print, audio, video, mobile and new media content
• Monitor introduced content for efficacy and potential revisions on a periodic basis using pre –post evaluation tools (with M&E team support).
• Identify and train HIV+ / TB clients or spokespersons who are willing to make testimonials for positive health behaviors (with SBCC / Advocacy team support)
• Assist in review of grants applications and during their implementation provide mentoring for SM/CO inputs.
• Provide support in BCC trainings to integrate community monitoring of service delivery, using a rights based approach
• Provide technical support to State Program Field Manager in overseeing district implementation of SM/CO plans with special focus on rights-based approaches.
• Design appropriate community recognition platforms influencing positive health behaviors/service delivery and work towards their implementation through govt. agencies.
• Support evidence based documentation of SM/CO activities.
• Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Technical Director and/ or Project Director.
The ideal candidate will hold the following qualifications:
• Masters degree in Social Work, Sociology, Rural Development and/or equivalent degree from a reputed institute
• Minimum eight years of relevant work experience, preferably in UP, in the following areas –
o Designing, implementing and supervising health, community organization and social mobilization rights-based approaches
o Community monitoring, social audits, working with networks and alliances at grass root levels
• Experience in report writing and documenting community participatory techniques.
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills in English and in Hindi, including writing skills in English. Ability to communicate effectively in local dialects in Uttar Pradesh an asset.
• Leadership and supportive supervision skills; preferably with experience in leading multi-level teams
• Consultative and collaborative approach; ability to work with diverse groups and in a challenging environment.
• Experience and a high degree of competency using Windows-based computer programs
• Willingness to travel within and outside the country as per project needs
• Experience of working with USAID funded projects.
• Experience of message/ content development workshops with Government and NGO partners
• Mentoring and team building skills
• Writing skills in Hindi
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job.
AED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women candidates are encouraged to apply. To apply, please write to
and mention the position you are applying for. The last date for application is 31 Mar 2011.