Last Date: January 28, 2011
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
AED Job Description
Behavior Change Communication for Improving Healthy Behaviors Program in India
Supervisor : SBCC Technical Advisor
Location : Lucknow
Project Duration : The duration of this project will be 10/25/2010 to 09/30/2013
The AED Center for Global Health Communication and Marketing (CGHCM) works to bring about positive changes in the actions of individuals, communities, and institutions that will improve the health and well-being of vulnerable populations around the world. Through bilateral funding from USAID/India, AED’s India BCC-IHBP project will focus on institutional strengthening for health communication at the national level and also in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The project will use evidence based approaches to design BCC strategies for program elements, i.e., HIV/AIDS, TB, MCH and FP/RH that reach to the community level and focus on individual and social change. Through advocacy and other community interventions, vulnerable communities will be empowered to address many health issues such as stigma, gender and rights.
The SBCC Specialist, based in Lucknow, will bring Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) knowledge and experience through technical assistance and capacity building to support the achievement of the project’s key results at the state level in Uttar Pradesh. S/he shall work with various project partners and the Ministries of Government of UP (MoHFW, UPSACS and MoWCD), involved in the project to coordinate SBCC strategy design, implementation, and monitoring. S/he shall be a SBCC design and message development specialist and work in close co-ordination with the other SBCC Specialist in Lucknow. Supportive supervision to SBCC component implementation would also be required with the district teams in the project areas. The position reports directly to the SBCC Technical Advisor at Lucknow.
Essential Job Functions
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Assisting in preparation of strategies and activities for SBCC component of the state and district annual work plans in consultation with the SBCC Advisor at Lucknow
• Providing assistance to designing and implementing effective SBCC plans and strategies for state level, consistent with the project Award Monitoring Plan (AMP)
• Supporting the Institutional Strengthening & Advocacy Team in integrating SBCC-specific capacity building content at state and district levels interventions
• Providing technical support to state Government and state nodal organizations to –
o plan, design, and implement BCC campaigns and programs elements in the project areas, incl. development of BCC messages and materials using various communication channels
o design, pre-test and production of job aids for frontline workers, including IPC and mid media tools
o assisting development of plans for post-production use of the BCC materials
o strengthening state government and civil society initiatives for improved community mobilization, social audits and social accountability
o rolling out of state level SBCC strategies and work plans
• Participating in and facilitating –
o assessment of effectiveness of existing SBCC materials, identifying need for revision or creation of new messages and materials
o Use of participatory techniques for BCC message development, development of messages and prototypes in print, audio-visual, radio and new media communication channels
o Identification of research needs relevant to community organization (CO) and social mobilization (SM) from state to sub-district levels
o monitoring of SBCC and social mobilization content for efficacy and potential revisions on a periodic basis using pre –post evaluation tools (with M&E team support)
o innovations in use of community radio, ICT tools, new media content and training methodologies
o developing guidelines for community/edutainment events and promotional activities at district and sub-district levels, and assist in creation of scripts for folk performances, community based theatre and create appropriate platforms for their dissemination
• Assist in grant implementation and provide mentoring for BCC message development inputs
• Represent the project, as directed by the Technical Director and/or SBCC Advisor in any working group, committee, or task force addressing Social and Behavior Change Communication
• Ensure timely documentation of the SBCC tasks assigned and consistently follow up the deliverables with the respective implementing agencies
• Work in close coordination with and support the other SBCC specialist in all activities as required.
• Perform any other activities as assigned by the SBCC Technical Advisor and/or Technical Director.
The ideal candidate will hold the following qualifications:
• Masters degree in communication, journalism, mass communication or an equivalent degree from a reputed university/ institute
• Minimum eight years of relevant working experience in the following areas –
o Designing, pretesting and evaluating BCC messages an materials, preferably using participatory techniques, across media channels
o Designing, developing and implementing capacity building strategies and tools for government functionaries and community
• Familiarity with NRHM, NACP-III and/or RNTCP
• Additional experience of/ in –
o Working with Government departments (HFW, SACS and/or ICDS), preferably in Uttar Pradesh
o Facilitating IEC/BCC workshops and events at state and district level in program elements
o Facilitating formative research for communication/training need assessment, process and impact studies
o Facilitating event documentation and evidence based reports
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills in English and in Hindi, including writing skills in Hindi. Knowledge of local UP dialects would be an asset
• Experience and a high degree of competency using Windows-based computer programs.
• Willingness to travel within and outside the country as per project needs.
• Experience in using Entertainment education, folk and local forms in health campaigns.
• Experience in community radio and participatory content creation for IEC/BCC.
• Exposure to media monitoring and evaluation of IEC/BCC activities
• Experience of message/ content development workshops with Government and NGO partners
• Familiarity with film and radio production techniques
• Mentoring and team building skills
• Experience of working with USAID funded projects
• Excellent communication, networking and team management skills
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job
AED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women candidates are encouraged to apply. To apply, please write to
and mention the position you are applying for. The last date for application is 28 January 2011.