Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Senior Research Fellow–Seeds Program/EPTD (#11-118)
International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Last Date: April 9, 2011
THE INTERNATIONAL FOOD POLICY RESEARCH INSTITUTE
POSITION # 11-118–SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW/EPTD
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as Senior Research Fellow/ Seeds Program in its Environment and Production Technology Division (EPTD). This is a two-year, fixed term, exempt, renewable appointment based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The candidate will work in the newly-created Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA), which is an initiative of the Government of Ethiopia (GOE) with the primary aim of promoting agricultural sector transformation by supporting existing structures of government, private-sector and other non-governmental partners to address systemic bottlenecks and deliver on a priority national agenda to achieve growth and food security.
The formation of the ATA is a result of two years of extensive diagnostic study across eight sub-sectors of Ethiopia’s agricultural system in a highly-consultative, multi-stakeholder process. Its structure and function is focused on nimble, innovative and results-oriented support to a range of partners in the agricultural sector.
Programmatically, the ATA will focus on a set of high priority initiatives identified by an inter-ministerial Council chaired by the Prime Minister. There are expected to be approximately 6-7 initial areas of focus, including seeds, markets/cooperatives, technology access and adoption and extension and research. Across the thematic initiatives, the ATA engages public, private and non-governmental stakeholders to support strategic planning, manage and strengthen implementation capacity and test innovative models. The ATA will be financed by GOE and a range of development partners.
The Senior Research Fellow will have primary responsibility for developing, implementing and supporting a portfolio of initiatives to improve the quality and availability of improved seeds for key crops in Ethiopia. The successful candidate will possess a passion for improving the lives of small-holder farmers and an extensive knowledge of Ethiopia’s seed system. S/he would likewise possess the entrepreneurial ability to visualize transformation, to mobilize stakeholders across the seed system and to drive practical change on the ground.
The Senior Research Fellow, Seeds Program will report to the Division Director of the Environment and Production Technology Division of IFPRI with day-to-day working with the Chief Executive Officer of the Agency.
• Conceive, launch and support a portfolio of initiatives designed to measurably improve the quality and availability of improved seeds for key crops across Ethiopia.
• Build the capacity, as necessary, of key government, private and informal actors in Ethiopia’s seed system to enable long term improvements within the seed system.
• Document and analyze the lessons of experiences of improved seeds for key crops in Ethiopia
• Serve as the leader of the Seeds Program team, responsible for the overall direction, values, culture and management of the Program
• Engage stakeholders across the seed system (government, business, civil society, universities, cooperatives, farmers’ organizations, farmers, donors, etc.) to identify and prioritize actions to improve quality and availability of seeds for target crops.
• Work with stakeholders to design and then implement high-priority interventions to improve the quality and availability of seeds for target crops.
• Support stakeholders to mobilize needed financial, human or organizational resources for project execution.
• Manage the performance of seed initiatives; setting key performance indicators, milestones and targets; engaging stakeholders to creatively solve problems and overcome obstacles in order to achieve desired results.
• Critically assessing capacity gaps hindering the effective implementation of seeds initiatives and developing approaches for improving capabilities as required. Using the ATA seeds initiatives as a platform for project-based learning.
• Integrate seeds initiatives with other ATA programs to achieve synergies and outcomes that impact the broader agricultural system.
• Draw lessons and experiences from the program, so they can be shared as international public goods.
• PhD in Agriculture Science, Agricultural Economics, or other relevant subject.
• Demonstrated 10-15 years of experience in senior program leadership role in government, international agency or private sector.
• Deep understanding of Ethiopia’s seed system, with a broad perspective on seeds value chains and an intimate knowledge of how public, private and informal actors operate within the system.
• Practical experience in implementing solutions at the local level.
• Experience in prioritizing and sequencing both programmatic and operation activities.
• Experience in agribusiness and creating public private partnerships in the sector preferred.
• Demonstrated track record of success with program design, performance management, learning systems, and monitoring & evaluation
• Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in at least Amharic and/or one additional Ethiopian language is a plus.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, start-up environment, with an emphasis on high-performance, teamwork, accountability and results.
• Ability to build relationships with all kinds of people.
• Highly facilitative and collaborative leadership style.
• Excellent adaptive problem-solver in challenging environment.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Strong set of personal values including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service.
Go to http://www.ifpri.org . Click on “Careers” and “Research” to link you to Position # 11- 118– Senior Research Fellow/Seeds Program, EPTD. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
For more information on IFPRI, visit our website at
For more information about the ATA, please visit:
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to