Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Last Date: April 25, 2011
UNOPS helps its partners in the United Nations system meet the world¡¦s needs for building peace, recovering from disaster, and creating sustainable development. UNOPS is known for its ability to implement complex projects in all types of environments around the globe. In an effort to promote organizational excellence, UNOPS seeks highly qualified individuals for the following position:
P-4 (Fixed-Term Appointment)
Livelihoods and Food Security Trust Fund (LIFT)
Myanmar Operations Centre (MMOC) / Asia and the Pacific Office (APO)
1 year with possibility of extension
25 April 2011
UNOPS Asia and the Pacific Office (APO) have been appointed as the Fund Manager for the Multi-Donor Livelihood and Food Security Trust (LIFT) Fund in Myanmar. The Livelihoods and Food Security Trust Fund (LIFT) is a donor fund of US$ 100 million over five years to address food insecurity and income poverty in Myanmar. The Donor Consortium of the LIFT Fund comprises Australia, the European Community, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
The Overall Objective of the LIFT Fund is progress towards the achievements of the United Nations Millennium Development Goal number one for Myanmar, the eradication of extreme poverty and hunger.
The Purpose of the LIFT Fund is to improve the food and livelihood security of the poorest and most vulnerable populations of Myanmar, with an initial focus on the cyclone Nargis affected areas of the Delta.
As outlined in the log frame, the project has the following major outputs:
* Direct agricultural production support provided and used by targeted households.
* Effective market and employment support mechanisms (on farm, off farm and non-farm) provided and used by targeted households.
* Effective social protection measures provided for the chronically poor of the targeted household.
* Capacity of local organizations strengthened to support livelihoods and food security initiatives.
* Effective support provided to targeted households for nutrition and hygiene.
* Monitoring and Evaluation and commissioned studies are used to inform program and support the enabling environment.
Crosscutting issues streamlined in program activities include gender equality, environment sustainability, good governance, social protection, disaster risk reduction and assistance to especially vulnerable people.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS/APO Regional Director, the direct supervision of the Fund Director and in accordance with UNOPS policies, procedures and practices, and with policies set by the Fund Board, the Communications Officer will work closely with the Fund Manager team in the area of communications. His/her duties include:
* Development of an external communication strategy, setting out the key communications challenges faced by the Fund and how these will be addressed. This will include: (a) how key communication issues relating to the Fund will be identified; (b) how messages will be developed and agreed; (c) channels of communication among stakeholders; (d) resource needs for communication activities; (e) monitoring and evaluation framework for communication activities.
* Overseeing implementation of the communications strategy ensuring, both in Myanmar and internationally, the identification of key stakeholders and provision of adequate and accurate flow of information about the Fund, its objectives, its global policy, operational policies and systems, and the actions it supports.
* Supervision, coaching and mentoring of the national communications assistant and coaching and mentoring of other national staff in communications and visibility responsibilities of the LIFT FMO.
* Rapid co-ordination of responses to questions and queries raised about the Fund and its work by a wide range of stakeholders.
* Coordinating preparation of information material on project implementation to be used by donors; visitors interested in the Fund, and the media (including media outreach material).
* Preparation of material needed for workshops, seminars, briefings organized by the Fund Manager.
* Provision of advice to the Fund Manager and the Fund Board on communication issues as required.
* Support to effective mechanisms for internal communications within the Fund Management team and between the Fund Manager and implementing partners in order to ensure consistent messages and to collect stories needed for external communications, including close liaison with colleagues working on monitoring and evaluation.
* In collaboration with the M&E program officer develop communication materials and maintain networks for the dissemination of results, best practice and lessons learnt based on evidence gathered from LIFT IPs, studies and other research activities.
* Promote two way information flows between strategic stakeholders, IPs, the FMO and LIFT FB for promoting global best practice in livelihoods programming.
* Contribution to the development of the Fund Manager's work plans and reports.
* Ensures easy web based access to information on LIFT Fund policies, board decisions, implementing partner details, types of actions funded, grant allocation, funding possibilities and sharing of LIFT beneficiary stories.
* Develop a work plan for communication activities, monitor compliance and provide support and guidance to ensure objectives are met.
* Planning and monitoring the use of communication budgetary resources.
* Advising the Fund Board and the Fund Manager on effective use of tools of mass communication, including press briefings and conferences and media interviews.
* Develop partnerships with various individuals, groups and organizations, whose support is essential to the achievement of advocacy and communication objectives.
* Develop speaking points and act as spokesperson for the Fund when designated.
* Provide accurate information to the local press and constructively pre-empt reports likely to be made by local and international media; provide draft press statements and/or information on the Fund.
* Identify and obtain feature stories and other materials to facilitate global/regional advocacy.
* Lead and coordinate the documentation of the ¡§LIFT Fund Story¡¨, i.e. on how the LIFT Fund has developed during its project cycle and record lessons learnt.
* Leads in all publications released by the Fund.
* Gatekeeper for arranging events for the Fund to ensure appropriate representation
* Other duties as may be assigned by the Fund Manager.
Please note that all UNOPS personnel are responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and those of UNOPS.
Required Selection Criteria
* Strong interpersonal communication, facilitation and advocacy skills, both oral and written.
* Previous work and a sound understanding of Livelihoods and Food Security issues in a developing country, preferably in South East Asia.
* Ability to defend and explain difficult and complex issues with respect to key board decisions and positions to senior officials, members of donor governments, media, stakeholders and the general public.
* Ability to identify communication needs and propose appropriate solutions and advocate on behalf of LIFT.
* Ability to conceptualize and convey strategic vision, adapted to changing external environment.
* Ability to establish good working relationships with implementing partners, donors, government counterparts, colleagues and other stakeholders in a sensitive environment.
* Ability to work with minimal supervision in a complex political environment.
* Ability to create an enabling and inspiring work environment and consider work/life issues.
* Sensitivity to culture, gender and local environment.
* Seeks and applies knowledge, information and best international practices.
* Willingness to undertake regular field visits in difficult conditions.
* Advanced or Master level University degree in communication, media studies, journalism, international or public relations; or a First University degree in related fields combined with extensive experience in similar responsible position.
* Minimum nine years with Bachelor degree or seven years with a Master of relevant working experience, preferably in a developing country; significant experience in South-East Asia would be an asset.
* Previous successful involvement with, and good knowledge of NGOs and civil society.
* Knowledge of the political, economic and social situation in Myanmar desirable.
* Excellent writing and analytical skills.
* Excellent presentation skills.
* Fluency in both written and spoken English. Knowledge of Burmese would be an asset.
Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates may submit their application, including a letter of interest, complete Curriculum Vitae and an updated United Nations Personal History Form (P.11) (available on our website
www.unops.org ), via e-mail to
email@example.com or mail to LIFT Project c/o Hotel Parkroyal Yangon (Room No. 308), 33 Alan Pya Phaya Road, Dagon Township, Yangon, Myanmar. Kindly indicate the vacancy number and the post title in the subject line or outside the envelope when applying by email or by post, respectively.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
For more information on UNOPS, please visit the UNOPS website at
Yangon in a family duty station with good international schools. Myanmar is in ¡§Security Phase One¡¨ stage. Though there are some restrictions on travel within some areas of the country, particularly the remote and border areas, generally there are free movements in Yangon. The situation in Yangon, provincial cities and large towns are relatively normal and foreigners are not normally the targets of criminal and/or other elements.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to