Freshwater Action Network South Asia (FANSA)
Last Date: June 17, 2010
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
Freshwater Action Network South Asia (FANSA) Manager-Finance
Working for the right to water and sanitation by strengthening civil society in South Asia
1. Job Title: MANAGER - FINANCE
2. Place of work: HYDERABAD - AP, INDIA
3. Work unit: FANSA - SECRETARIAT, HYDERABAD
4. Reports to: Convenor - FANSA Regional Steering Committee
5. Term of appointment: Initially for a period of 21 months subject to probation of 3 months
6. Salary scale: Upto INR 50,000 (Depending on experience)
The Freshwater Action Network South Asia (FANSA) aims to improve water governance by strengthening the role of civil society in decision-making. It considers both environmental and developmental aspects as crucial considerations for the realization of the right to water and sanitation for present and future generations.
FANSA was established in 2008 based on the need to ensure that local experiences and voices were brought to policy-making discussion and debate. The South Asian network is a consortium member of Freshwater Action Network (FAN), a global consortium of civil society networks implementing and influencing water and sanitation policy and practice.
A world where water is respected and protected by all as an essential resource for all forms of life and where universal access to water and sanitation is achieved responsibly, equitably and inclusively.
To empower civil society organizations to engage effectively and influence water governance towards the realization of the right to water and sanitation for present and future generations.
FANSA aims to strengthen the engagement of civil society in policymaking and development specifically in the South Asia region. It has national level networks in India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh.
In particular, it supports initiatives to achieve international, regional and national targets on water and sanitation, improve regional cooperation between different civil society organizations and increase the number of NGOs to advocate and communicate clearly on water policy issues and the broader agenda.
- FANSA membership is currently limited to Bangladesh, India, Nepal and Pakistan and has ambitious plans to expand deeper in these countries as well as to other countries like Srilanka, Bhutan, etc.
- FANSA is a consortium member of FAN Global (www.freshwateraction.net) and works in cooperation with WaterAid, an international NGO based in the UK with partners and country offices in South Asia (www.wateraid.org/uk)
- FANSA is in the process of strengthening and growing its regional network structure and functioning mechanisms and is increasingly raising its profile in the sector.
- Right to water and sanitation, governance and accountability, climate change and IWRM are key issues that FANSA is focusing on.
- The strategic direction of FANSA is led by its regional Convenor, a regional Steering Committee and working committees at the national level.
Freshwater Action Network South Asia (FANSA) is looking for a Finance Manager for the financial management of the network which currently involves funding from FAN-WaterAid UK and the recipient / implementing partners are located in India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Pakistan. The post holder is expected to carry out the job with the support and guidance of the Convenor and Steering Committee of FANSA.
7. Job purpose:
The post-holder will be a full-time employee of FANSA, working in a small team at Modern Architects for Rural India (MARI), which hosts the FANSA Secretariat. The Manager will work to strengthen FANSA in the areas of financial management, contractual compliance, legal compliance, monitoring the financial management of local NGO partners working with FANSA and coordination with different actors concerned for efficient financial management of FANSA. Currently FANSA is funded by FAN-WaterAid under Strategic Grants Assistance (SGA) and Governance and Transparency Fund of DFID-UK.
8. Key responsibilities:
• Developing FANSA network specific financial management guidelines within the scope of the financial policy of MARI.
• Book keeping and maintaining all the records related to financial management.
• Establishing financial management systems to ensure best compliance of the contracts signed by FANSA.
• Establishing management systems to synchronize with legal compliance aspects at the overall organization level.
• Submission of accurate and timely financial reports to the concerned donors of FANSA.
• Establish best transparent and accountable systems for purchase and or procurement of services, material, personnel, etc.
• Authorization of all payments.
• Coordination with MARI finance department for smooth and effective financial management and also to ensure fulfilling mutual requirements between MARI and FANSA.
• To conduct visits to the recipient partners (eg: National Networks, GTF local partners, etc) and monitor their financial management as per the monitoring guidelines.
• Receive financial reports and fund request from the FANSA partners and process the same as per the financial norms and agreements.
• Capacity building, support and regular guidance to partners to ensure contractual compliance and effective financial management at their level.
• Submit timely and accurate financial reports, fund release requests and any other financial information required by the donor agencies of FANSA.
• Provide critical feedback to Convenor on key financial parameters, variance, risks, etc.
• Establish systems for minimization and elimination of financial risks.
• Facilitate annual external audit and financial monitoring visits by the donor agencies of FANSA.
A. Other organization responsibilities:
- Support other team members in mobilizing funding resources for FANSA and partners.
- Maintain and develop efficient electronic and paper filing systems to support own work.
- Attend meetings and conferences to defend and promote the interests of FANSA
- Adhere to the financial and HR guidelines issued by the organization.
- Ensure safe custody of the assets and finances under your control.
- Ensure actions to enhance image and reputation of the organization.
- Undertake any other responsibilities, tasks or activities as reasonably required by the organizations.
B. Key relations:
The post-holder works closely with the FANSA Regional Coordinator, FANSA GTF Project Coordinator and FANSA Convenor (Chief Functionary, Modern Architects for Rural India - MARI). In addition the job demands close working relationship with FAN Global Secretariat (UK) and WaterAid particularly the finance department. The post holder also works closely with other development projects staff and Finance & Admin. staff of MARI which is housing the Secretariat of FANSA.
C. Qualifications & experience
• CA/ICWA/ or Masters Degree in Accounting / Finance / commerce.
• 5 years of experience in middle or senior level of financial management in NGO sector.
• Good knowledge of functioning and legal systems related to NGO sector.
• Good knowledge and skills of financial book keeping.
• Knowledge of Government of India requirements especially FCRA, Income tax laws, Societies Registration Act, etc.
• Excellent skills of using accounting packages including Tally and MS Office.
• Excellent communication skills in English – written and spoken.
• Proven organisational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities and work to deadlines
• Good negotiating skills including the ability to demonstrate patience and diplomacy.
• Should be a team player and has ability to work independently
• Strong social and networking skills.
• Self-motivated and good problem solving skills.
The Finance Manager/Officer should be able to interact with persons from a variety of professional disciplines and from different levels of society in a tactful and diplomatic manner. He/she should be able to work closely and effectively with both internal & external stakeholders with a high level of integrity & diplomacy. S/he should have a commitment to timeliness and be dependable. Commitment to development work would be highly valued.
Closing Date for submission of Applications: 17th June 2010
Please send your Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com
The recruitment process is expected to be completed by 10th July and selected candidates will be informed immediately.