Land & Tenure Specialist
Rural Development Institute (RDI)
Location: New Delhi
Last Date: July 22, 2011
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
Job Title: Land & Tenure Specialist
Employment Status: Full time, regular
Place of Performance: New Delhi
Travel Requirements: Up to 100 days per year (domestic and international)
Supervisor: India Country Director
Basic Description of the Position:
Rural Development Institute (RDI) was established as a Trust on 18 May 2008 in order to carry out various programs related to the alleviation of poverty particularly through issues related to land. Its goals are to provide secure land rights to the poor. Its theory of change incorporates field research in order to inform and assist in policy, legislation and implementation of schemes and projects related to land and the poor. It works in support of the national and state government offices that are responsible for the implementation of these programs. Currently, RDI is working in four states: Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal and has the National office in New Delhi. The National Office facilities the development of new programmes , undertakes research and has the oversight role in program management.
RDI seeks a Land & Tenure Specialist to work with development and implementation of programs related to secure land access to poor. This position will work with the Government and non-government organizations including the Revenue Department, Ministry of Rural Development, Legal Services Authority and NGOs. This position will be responsible for developing proposals, plans and processes in supporting the efficient implementation of programs. between RDI and its partners.
This person will also support the the County Director in extending programmatic support to the state teams. He/She would also work closely with Monitoring & Evaluation, Communication, Finance & Administration for better realization of RDI’s mission in India. .
Essential requirements: Must have educational degree in Law, Agricultural Economics, Social Sciences or other related fields. The person will have had a minimum of 15 years experience working in the rural area on agricultural development, SHG and other related issues with demonstrated skills in planning, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
Specific Skills and Responsibilities:
• Highly effective. Ability to work independently. Strong commitment to teamwork. Creative and independent thinker with a track record of success in achieving organizational objectives, including through conception and implementation of new ideas.
• Exceptional people management and communication skills. Proactive. Track record of success in actively managing professionals. Ability to lead, motivate, and direct groups and individuals. Ability to collaborate effectively with people at all levels of the organization.
• Ability to think creatively and strategically to mediate and negotiate successfully with individuals and groups internally and externally. Ability to overcome obstacles to cooperation and to foster harmonious relations.
• Ability to define objectives, develop and manage budgets, appropriately allocate resources and evaluate outcomes.
• Strong program, project, and task management skills. Ability to balance competing priorities, work effectively in complex situations, and respond to constrained budgets and tight deadlines. Capacity to oversee programs and professional program staff located in remote geographies.
• Superior communication and written skills.
• Exceptional organization and time management skills.
• Ability to work effectively and constructively with a range of internal and external partners.
• Research and Analysis – Undestanding of research requirement & exposure to doing large scale research on topics related to the work of RDI in various states.
• Strategic planning – Plan various kinds of projects as per the organization mission and vision. Preparation of developing log frame documents and monitoring the implementation.
• Working with stakeholders: To work with different stakeholders to develop the implementation plan development with various partners.
• Writing of reports, plans and other documents required in the development and management of research and investigation on various topics. Problem solving skills – Assess complex situations and identify research opportunities and needs that will help resolve questions and issues regarding planning and program implementation.
• Subject knowledge of laws related to land – Have basic knowledge that enables research and documentation related to land issues as they affect the planning and implementation of projects and strategies.
• Networking and development of personal and organizational relationships –Develop strong relationships with local researchers research institutes that are involved in the similar work of RDI.
• Collaborate with staff to foster ongoing relations with donor representatives,
• Support RDI resource mobilisation strategy and plans in consultation with in the leadership team and State Directors
Work Habits: Include but are not limited to accuracy, efficiency, thoroughness, regularity, timeliness and punctuality. A strong drive for excellence in work product and personal performance is called for.
Interpersonal & Language Skills: Fluency speaking, reading and writing in English and Hindi required. Knowledge of Oriya, Bengali, Telugu and Kanada a plus. Ability to work in local communities at the village level with young persons and women as well as establish rapport with government officials and the other key stakeholders needed to successfully complete the work and meet goals.
Teamwork Skills: Ability to both lead and work as a member of teams, including consensus building, communications, and leadership skills.
Software Skills: Ability to proficiently Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other software.
Salary will be determined by the experience of the candidate.
RDI is an equal opportunity employer. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Interested persons may send their application and updated CV to the following
email id with the position applied for marked in the subject line latest by July
22, 2011 to email@example.com