Location: New Delhi
Last Date: July 14, 2010
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
UNOPS helps its partners in the United Nations system meet the world’s needs for building peace, recovering from disaster, and creating sustainable development. UNOPS is known for its ability to implement complex projects in all types of environments around the globe. In an effort to promote organisational excellence, UNOPS seeks highly qualified individuals for the following position:
Vacancy Code VA/2010/UNOPS/INOC/046
Position Title Finance Assistant
Position Level Local ICA Support (LICA-3)*
Org Unit APO/INOC Finance
Duty Station New Delhi, INDIA
Duration Five - six months (with possibility of extension )
Closing Date 14th July 2010
UNOPS Asia & Pacific Regional Office, APO, has been designated as the Procurement Agent for the WHO, based in New Delhi, India. In this capacity, UNOPS will provide services of logistics and procurement of vaccines, drugs, equipment (medical supplies) in support of the request/s made by WHO. The Finance Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach, consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations. The Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations and Procurement staff within the Office to provide financial services, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Director, INOC, and the direct supervision of the National Finance Officer, and in accordance with UNOPS policies, procedures and practices, the Finance Assistant’s duties include: (These duties are not all inclusive nor are all the duties carried out by all Finance Assistants).
• Full compliance of financial processes and financial records in accordance with UNOPS rules and regulations and procedures.
• Provide input into the office’s business process mapping and into the content of the internal standard operating procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management regulations. The Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations and Procurement staff within the Office to provide financial services, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work.
• Examine payment requests received to ensure that: documentation is complete and all information concerning the payment has been supplied; proper accounting codes are used; certification of services rendered/goods delivered is written on the payment document and duly signed by authorized officials; payment to sub-contractors are in compliance with terms and conditions of agreement.
• Verify payment information.
• Ensure payment requests have been properly obligated and that payment is in accordance with
UNOPS Financial rules and Regulations and UNOPS procedures.
• Obtain clarification from Portfolio Managers/Certifying Officers where discrepancies exist.
• Prepare payment vouchers and enter payment details into the computer system.
• Prepare periodic review of outstanding obligations relating to sub-contracts.
• Prepare requests for Advances from Client agency.
• Review and adjust the project expenditures/obligations against the approved budgets.
• Maintain UNOPS Allotment and Administrative expenditure for the Office; assist in monthly analysis.
• Verify and enter approved budget into budget database.
• Prepare project budget revisions as required.
• Ensure proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports as appropriate; preparation of all types of vouchers for management projects; PO vouchers for management projects.
• Present information on status of financial resources.
• Prepare substantive financial reports for the review of the Finance Officer, as required.
• Prepare final financial statements.
• Assist with the closure of accounts and return of unspent balance within the stipulated timeline, as necessary.
• Manage cash receipts as appropriate.
• Maintain proper filing system for finance records and documents.
Monitoring and Progress Control
• Ensure requests for advances are sent to the client in time.
• Check payment documents and ensure timely payments to suppliers.
• Accounting records are maintained accurately with supporting documentation.
• Reports to the Management and Clients are provided in due time.
• Responses to queries from Client / suppliers are given in time.
• The accounting records are maintained in a manner that these are traceable easily and there are no Audit observations
• Client is satisfied with the timeliness and accuracy of information.
• Maintain and keep up-to-date files.
• Respond to routine queries on status of payments/accounts/expenditures/obligations and/or budget matters and resolve any discrepancies.
• Support knowledge-building and knowledge-sharing within the office.
• Perform other related duties as required.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Required Competencies & Knowledge
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
• Respect for diversity
• Creativity and innovation
• Commitment to continuous learning
• Planning and organizing
• Results orientation
• Communications skills
• Teamwork skills
• Client orientation
• Technological awareness
• Shares knowledge and experience.
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
• Proficiency in computerized accounting systems as well as familiarity with the use of spreadsheets (preferably MS Excel), Word Processing software packages (preferably MS Word). Candidates may undergo a test to check competency in basic excel functions.
• Ability to work systematically, accurately, independently and under pressure; good organizational skills.
• Ability to draft clear and concise communications and to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work in a multicultural team environment and achieve common goals.
Leadership and Self-Management
• Ability to adhere to work assignments and meet designated deadlines.
• Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedbacks.
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
• Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure.
• Completion of Secondary Education. University degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or a related field an asset.
• Four to five years of progressively responsible clerical work experience in the field of finance, accounting or other related field.
• Excellent command of English. Working knowledge of Hindi an asset.
Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates may submit their application, including a letter of interest, complete Curriculum Vitae and an updated United Nations Personal History Form (P.11) (available on our website), via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kindly indicate the vacancy number and the post title in the subject line when applying by email.
*Please note that this is a local post and is open to all nationals of the country of the duty station and to individuals who have a valid work permit
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information on UNOPS, please visit the UNOPS website at www.unops.org.