Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Deputy Director for Middle East and North Africa (MENA)
International Center for Transitional Justice (ICTJ)
Location: New York
Last Date: May 5, 2011
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
The International Center for Transitional Justice (ICTJ) works to redress and prevent the most severe violations of human rights by confronting legacies of mass abuse. ICTJ seeks holistic solutions to promote accountability and create just and peaceful societies. For more information, please visit
JOB VACANCY – DEPUTY DIRECTOR FOR
MIDDLE EAST AND NORTH AFRICA (MENA)
ICTJ is seeking an experienced and energetic leader as the Deputy Director to support the Director of the MENA Program. MENA program has two Deputy Directors, who assist the Director in designing and overseeing the implementation of ICTJ’s MENA Program. This Deputy Director position is to assist the Director with conceptualization and execution of in-country work in the MENA region, particularly in the North African countries.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assists the Director in establishing strategies and work plans for MENA Programs, particularly for the North Africa region.
2. Responsible for supervising the day to day field operations in the North Africa region by managing issues of substance, policy, fundraising and strategy and providing ongoing guidance and programmatic advice to the relevant staff in the region.
3. Assesses new developments and requests for intervention, and makes recommendations to the Director on the capacity to execute work and expand its activities.
4. Liaises and cultivates relationships with current and potential donors. Drafts funding proposals and budgets as well as monitors and reports on implementation.
5. Liaises and cultivates relationships with government representatives, international and civil society organizations and other partners in the region.
6. Acts as ICTJ's spokesperson in advocacy and media work by attending events and conducting public speaking engagements.
7. Responsible for managing and developing ICTJ’s Arabic website and newsletter as well as other MENA-related online material in collaboration with ICTJ’s Communication Unit.
8. Reviews all substantive materials and public documents before they are distributed.
9. Handles research and writing by identifying research issues and themes emerging from country work and ensures results of major research projects are integrated into country work.
10. Liaises with the other units within ICTJ to ensure proper consultations and collaboration take place between country and thematic work.
11. Assists the Director with financial management including establishing budget and monitoring expenditures; meeting the grant requirements; timely review and approval of financial reports and expense reports; and ensuring adequate controls exist over cash and other ICTJ assets.
12. Assists the Director with human resources management by ensuring that the vacancies are filled in a timely manner; resolving any personnel related issues; and ensuring that performance evaluation of staff are conducted.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in international relations, law, political science or similar discipline is required. Advanced degree is highly desirable.
Experience: Over 7 years relevant work experience, preferably in human rights, transitional justice or international programs specializing in MENA region.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Minimum 7 years directly related work experience along with program and operational management experience.
2. Must have a solid understanding of transitional justice and human rights work with a high degree of conceptual ingenuity and initiative.
3. Must have strong research and analytical skills as well as the ability to solve problems and exercise good judgment.
4. Must have experience developing policies and must be able to handle issues that may be critical and controversial in nature.
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
6. Excellent oral and written communication skills in Arabic are required.
7. Proficiency in French and other languages of the MENA region is desirable.
8. Experience in public speaking is highly desirable.
9. Must have strong interpersonal and managerial skills and be able to work effectively under pressure.
10. Experience in advocacy and good working knowledge of the international, regional and sub-regional media is highly desirable.
11. Designing or teaching academic programs would be a significant advantage.
12. Experience in fundraising and outreach is desirable.
13. Must be willing to travel internationally.
CONTACT: Submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line. This vacancy announcement is open until filled.
The ICTJ is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer strongly committed to hiring and retaining a diverse and internationally representative staff. Women and minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to