Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Director of Livelihoods Programs
Location: Washington DC
Last Date: January 5, 2011
Title: Director of Livelihoods Programs
Technical Area Livelihoods
Department: Program Advancement
Supervisor: Vice President for Program Advancement
Location: Pact Headquarters
HR Use Only: Exempt/Non-Exempt:
EEO Job Class: Manager, Professional or Administrative Salary Level:
Pact values and supports a diverse work environment.
The Director of Livelihoods provides technical leadership in establishing, driving and integrating Pact’s livelihoods platform. The Director leads and defines Pact’s approach to Livelihoods and provides intellectual leadership and technical assistance to Pact in the design and evaluation of evidence-based livelihoods projects. The position requires the ability to lead and mentor technical staff around the world, win new business in line with our strategic priorities, mission, goals and objectives. The Director leads and develops the network of staff around the world who provide technical assistance and quality oversight to programs comprising Pact’s Livelihoods portfolio. S/He leads and facilitates change to ensure that Pact evolves and adapts its technical capabilities in step with the evolving development trends, and the priority needs of countries where Pact is operational S/He builds and leads enterprise-wide teams to develop and maintain an integrated portfolio of operational, metrics-based technical support expertise in support of Pact strategic plan, goals and objectives. S/He works across the organization, field offices and programs, to establish new programmatic synergies, develop products and tools, drive high quality programming and results, and contribute to proposals. The Director takes an active role in the management of Pact’s knowledge, represents the organization in relevant forums and leads a global community of practice – made up of professionals from within and outside Pact - to help to advance Pact’s position as a leader in the Livelihoods sector. The position requires the director to work with the New Business Development group to define and attract new business opportunities and network with donors in the sector to position Pact and stay informed. The Director provides technical quality control and contributes to the technical design of proposals that ensure the strength of Pacts’ business development pipeline while assuring compliance with Pact’s standard operating procedures, relevant quality service guidelines, legislation, and all applicable national and international regulations. S/he is an involved member of the Program Management Team, which advises the Vice President of Advancement on a range of issues.
Core Values: Pact employees embrace the following core values as representatives of the institution:
• Embrace Pact’s mission and core values, including belief that—
o all people have a right to participate in decisions affecting their lives;
o gender equity is mandatory for social transformation;
o resource allocation choices are transparent and guided by sensitivity to the costs of operations, and financial accountability to our clients, in recognition of Pact’s role as steward of resources intended for the poor.
• Believe diversity in background, gender and age strengthens our capacity to be wise managers of public and private funds.
• Do much of our work in teams, give anyone with a good idea the chance to run with it, and aren’t afraid of taking risks.
• Assert the primacy of gathering and sharing of information as essential roles for all employees.
• Regularly seek opportunities to market Pact’s programs, products and services and network with external organizations and individuals to build strong alliances.
• Encourage staff growth and advancement, including training and professional skills building to increase knowledge and competence and to stay abreast of new developments, especially in technology.
• Strive for a healthy balance between work and life outside of work.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide Technical Leadership for the Livelihoods sector:
Lead technical excellent of Pact in the international Livelihoods Sector
o Lead and define Pact’s core approach to Livelihoods defining synergies and focuses on value additions;
o Participate in the design of evidence-based livelihood projects;
o Provide intellectual leadership to Pact within the sector by staying abreast of trends and research findings and disseminating them to country offices and relevant communities of practice;
o Assist in project implementation to ensure it meets best practices;
o Work with key field offices and Pact staff to improve the implementation of Pact’s programs by integrating Livelihoods components into new project designs when applicable;
o Collaborate with virtual team members who are based outside DC or in one of Pact’s field offices, to provide them with technical assistance so that field offices better understand and are able to meet Pact and industry standards in the sector;
o Contribute to the design and assessment of ongoing projects that may have a Health or Environmental focus but include a livelihoods component;
Position Pact as a leader in the field
o Help Pact demonstrate that its core strengths in capacity development, network strengthening, governance and access to markets lead to measurable improvement in people’s livelihoods outcomes at the community level;
o Play a representational role for Pact in relevant forums and work with our field offices to develop and present papers that help build Pact’s reputation as a leader within the sector;
Advance new business development
o Play a key role in defining and designing new business development in the sector
o Ensure that all proposals submitted by Pact in the Livelihoods sector are technically sound and capitalize upon learning from other parts of Pact world;
o Network with active donors in the sector and gather intelligence on up-coming funding opportunities;
Lead community of practice
o Facilitate a dynamic community of practice of Pact staff worldwide within the Livelihoods sector that serves to ensure continuous learning across all levels of Pact’s offices;
o Coordinate efforts to identify and document Pact’s best practices in the sector and disseminate to all field offices;
o Ensure the maintenance of a section of Pact’s intranet dedicated to the Livelihoods Sector, which serves as a platform for sharing Pact internal and external best practice documents, toolkits, curricula, and relevant research;
Participate Actively in the Program Management Team:
The Program Management Team, which includes all Program Advancement Directors, meets regularly to ensure there is integration across sectors and core competencies and to advise the VP of PA on higher level decisions affecting the department and Pact as a whole. This Program Management Team serves as a forum for adjusting Pact-wide program strategies, developing annual Program Department work plans and budgets, agreeing upon programmatic policies and quality standards, planning and overseeing the implementation of core competency capacity-building investments in Pact staff, both in DC and in the field.
• Masters or Doctoral Degree in a relevant discipline
• Substantial experience with micro-finance, enterprise development tools and processes, value chain analysis of potential products/ livelihood alternatives, forwarding a value change approach to economic development or similar
• Demonstrated experience managing a technical unit at the headquarters or regional level
• Excellent demonstrated knowledge of managing projects through the intersection of results-based program design, planning, implementation, oversight and publication/presentation of the results
• Established interpersonal and professional relationships with colleagues in Washington and across the international health industry within donor agencies, peer organizations and local organizations as well as the ability to forge new relationships across Pact
• Experience working with host country governments in developing and implementing livelihoods programs
• Experience in effective design of livelihood programs, with a focus on programs that developed the capacity of local level government and civil society organizations to provide sustainability and impact
• Deep knowledge and understanding of USAID and a variety of other statutory/non statutory donors
• In-depth knowledge in the sector including tools and methods for empowerment and participation of local communities to advocate for better and sustainable livelihoods across a range of areas
• Strong skills in gender analysis and integration
• Ability to establish and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with Pact staff at all levels, in donor organizations and in peer organizations
• Demonstrated English-language writing and analytical skills
• Ability to travel frequently
• Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks
• Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, statistical analysis and database skills.
• Strong oral and written communication skills
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Master’s or PhD in a relevant area
• At least 12 years of experience in working in relevant field
• At least 5 years of experience managing livelihoods projects in an overseas setting
• Documented success in raising project funding in the Livelihoods Sector
• Demonstrated thought leadership on international livelihoods issues.
Fluency in a language other than English
Publication of relevant journal articles, book chapters, or technical reports
This job description summarizes the responsibilities assigned to the position; however it does not contain an all-inclusive list of responsibilities. Periodically, employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise. Employment at Pact is a voluntary ”at will” relationship.
Apply to this job online at:
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to