Technical Officer(Market Impact)
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Last Date: December 31, 2010
The mission of WHO is the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.
Vacancy Notice No: UNITAID/10/FT559
Title: Technical Officer(Market Impact)
Contract type: Fixed-term appointment
Duration of contract: 2 years
Date: 30 November 2010
Application Deadline: 31 December 2010
Duty Station: Geneva Switzerland
Organization unit: UT UNITAID (UT)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
UNITAID's mission is to contribute to the scale-up of access to treatment for HIV/AIDs, malaria and
tuberculosis for people in developing countries by leveraging price reductions for quality drugs and
diagnostics and accelerating the pace at which they are made available.
Description of duties:
The purpose of the position is to provide technical direction for the design, implementation, and evaluation of
UNITAID strategy and to work collaboratively with technical officers (economics and market dynamics amp;
intellectual property) to monitor global market trends and assess the market and public health impacts of
Under direction of the Coordinator of Market Dynamics:
- Design and conduct analyses on emerging products to evaluate their worthiness of UNITAID investment.
- Formulate methodologies and conduct analyses to assess the impact of UNITAID interventions on both
market dynamics and public health.
- Conduct scoping studies on potential new projects.
- Conduct background research on new projects and other technical areas related to market dynamics and
- Ensure the rapid dissemination of data within UNITAID, as well as to key partners and stakeholders, other
institutions and countries, analyzing feedback and making recommendations for adaptation and
- Ensure the coordination of monitoring activities through the development of methodologies to facilitate and
promote adherence to work plans and budgets towards a qualitative and quantitative management systems
and tools, with emphasis on the development and implementation of methodologies to enhance the
implementation of effective capacity building, knowledge hub and normative policies.
- Participate in the production and dissemination of the UNITAID annual report on the state of the markets for
medicines, diagnostics and related products for HIV, TB and malaria.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date databases of priorities and results, ensuring the collection and
safekeeping of data to bolster monitoring activities and reporting methodologies on status of implementation
- Assist the technical officer (monitoring and evaluation) in the development and revision of guidelines to
improve the quality of monitoring
methodologies and evaluation systems used within UNITAID programs towards harmonized reporting.
- Conduct routine monitoring and evaluation and draft regular reports on market dynamics for commodities
used in HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.
- Report on key performance indicators (KPI)- Area1 (implementation of strategy).
- Represent UNITAID at key meetings and events related to market dynamics.
- In collaboration with the Supply Adviser identify and liaise with manufacturers, procurement agents, and other stakeholders about all issues affecting and influencing market dynamics as related to medicines,
diagnostics and other commodities.
- Contribute to the development of materials for board and committee meetings.
- Draft and edit reports, briefs, talking points, peer reviewed publications, and oral presentations.
- Participate in the design and conduct of project evaluation.
- Perform any other activities as required by the Coordinator of Market Dynamics.
Advanced degree in economics, business, marketing, or market research or other relevant field.
Certificate or degree in business, marketing, or market research.
Excellent analytical, planning and organizational skills. Ability to develop and communicate reports
in a clear and concise manner. Knowledge of public health, health economics and market dynamics issues.
Strong interpersonal skills, tact, discretion and mature judgment. General knowledge of key public health
issues and international organizations working in the area of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. Proven
ability to conduct research and write, including peer reviewed publications.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint). Exceptional ability to program in
STATA, SAS, SPSS or other analytic software.
Communicating in a credible and effective way
Fostering integration and teamwork
Moving forward in a changing environment
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
At least 7 years experience in building models to monitor and examine market trends for health
Experience in the management and analysis of market information and competitive intelligence and its use in
product marketing and sales strategies.
Experience in quantitative and qualitative research methods, survey design and implementation, and
statistical data analysis.
Exceptional program management experience.
Experience monitoring the evolution of health industries (pharmaceutical, diagnostic, etc.) including mergers
and acquisitions and the entry and departure of manufacturers from product and market niches.
Private sector experience, especially within the pharmaceutical, diagnostic or medical device areas.
Experience in the areas of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, or malaria.
Experience working with WHO or other UN or international organizations.
Excellent knowledge of English required. Working knowledge of French an asset.
As a WHO staff member assigned solely and exclusively to support UNITAID, selected staff will have no right
of reassignment or transfer outside UNITAID either during or at the end of his/her appointment, including
pursuant to WHO Staff Rule 1050.
Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice.
A written test may form part of the screening process.
This Vacancy Notice is published in English only.
Annual salary: (Net of tax)
USD 66,482 at single rate
USD 71,393 with primary dependants
Post Adjustment: 92.2 % of the above figure(s). This
percentage is to be considered as indicative since
variations may occur each month either upwards or
downwards due to currency exchange rate
fluctuations or inflation.
A written test and interviews may be used as a form of screening
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database.
Please visit WHO's e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment. The system provides instructions for
online application procedures.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and
well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Currently accepting applications
WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
Apply online at:
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to