Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Senior Program Specialist - Globalization, Growth and Poverty
International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
Location: Dakar, Senegal
Last Date: October 24, 2010
The International Development Research Centre (IDRC) supports research in developing regions of the world to promote growth and development. The result is innovative, lasting local solutions that bring choice and change to those who need it most.
We are seeking a dynamic professional for a key specialist position in Dakar, Senegal.
SENIOR PROGRAM SPECIALIST - Globalization, Growth and Poverty
The goal of the Globalization, Growth and Poverty Program is to support policy reforms in developing regions aimed at promoting inclusive growth, by funding policy-oriented research and strengthening research capacities. The Program is currently undergoing a renewal to review programming priorities and strategic approaches to research funding.
As the Senior Program Specialist, you will collaborate in managing research activities that support broader Program challenges around promoting inclusive growth, including labour market issues, institutional frameworks for investment, competition and entrepreneurial activity, and the role of social protection policies. Reporting to the Program Leader and the Regional Director, you will develop, manage and monitor a portfolio of research projects in West and Central Africa. As part of a global team and a corporate Program Area, you may have selected responsibilities for projects in other regions as well as working in collaboration with the Think Tank Initiative. You will also interact with experts in the field and represent IDRC in a variety of fora, draw attention to new developments in economic policies and research, and play a key role in the progress of strategic thinking in this area.
• PhD and a record of research and publication in a relevant discipline such as economics, public finance, or international development, or, Masters degree in a relevant discipline and significant work experience
• Eight years related experience in managing, assessing and conducting research and project management in West and Central Africa, which includes: developing and monitoring budgets; establishing and building partnerships with research organizations and other donors; and strengthening research capacity through teaching, mentoring and/or supervising
• Experience initiating and implementing innovative approaches to understand and address complex development challenges
• Work experience in a policy research or grant-making organization is an asset
Note: Candidates with less experience may be considered for appointment at the level of Senior Program Officer (CA $83,685 - CA $100,825).
• Bilingual positions (French/English) at an advanced level
• Knowledge of current debates and research agendas on development economics and on political economy approaches to growth-related issues in developing regions
• Knowledge of the research environment and policy-oriented research organizations in West and Central Africa
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and sensitivity towards individual, gender and cultural differences
• Results oriented with strong organizing, problem-solving, negotiating, implementing and monitoring skills
• Solid analytical and writing skills
• Proven creativity, initiative and ability to work under pressure
• Ability to establish, manage and monitor relationships with various stakeholders
• Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and partially virtual team including diverse cultures, expertise and experiences
This position requires a willingness to travel, mainly in the region and internationally, an average of 60 days per year.
In addition to base salary, candidates will receive a monthly cost-of-living adjustment and competitive allowances (e.g. housing, transportation, etc.) and benefits.
If you are interested in a career with a lasting impact, we invite you to join our multidisciplinary team of dedicated and skilled professionals operating in a stimulating and diverse environment. For more information about this opportunity and how to apply, visit
Application Deadline: October 24, 2010.
IDRC encourages applications from qualified women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to