Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Director – Basic Education in Developing Countries
AIR’s International Development Division
Location: Washington DC, USA
Last Date: October 30, 2010
Managing Director – Basic Education in Developing Countries – Job 6304
AIR’s International Development Division seeks to enhance the capacity of developing countries to improve their quality of life through education and social development. In partnership with others, we seek to: ensure children’s equitable access to all levels of education; improve the quality and relevance of education; and empower individuals, communities, and institutions as agents of social and behavioral change.
Our Basic Education and Education Reform work supports effective policy dialogue and financing, and strengthens policies and systems for teacher training, school health and nutrition, literacy programs and inclusive strategies for learners with disabilities. We build the ability of education officials and institutions to improve their use of data and information to make decisions, enhance curriculum development and assessment, facilitate changes in public policy, increase enrollment of girls and other neglected groups, and promote the use of technology in education.
The selected candidate will provide intellectual, technical and managerial leadership to AIR’s Basic Education in Developing Countries practice and within the field in general. The essential functions of the position include:
• Lead the growth and development of AIR’s International Development work and Basic Education practice through business development, client relationship and capacity building activities
• Expand and coordinate international Basic Education and related research, practice, and policy work at AIR.
• Lead proposals to build AIR’s Basic Education practice in Developing Countries.
• Provide technical expertise to clients, AIR staff, partners and policy makers.
• Effectively manage complex projects, resources and staff.
• Utilize entrepreneurial, creative thinking and problem solving skills in leading the practice.
• Participate in professional and staff development activities, especially in Basic Education and Education Reform work and International Development-related topics.
• Doctorate in Education, or related field.
• Experience in one of more of the following areas: Teacher Professional Development, Education Policy; Educational Management and Leadership, Local Capacity Building in a development context.
• At least 10 years experience in a leadership role in implementation of complex basic education programs in developing countries in areas such as education policy; improving educational quality and access; educational assessment of disadvantaged students; development of community participation in the improvement of basic education for disadvantaged children; and monitoring and evaluation of basic education projects.
• Demonstrated leadership and recognition in the field of Education in Developing Countries.
• Proven success in the development and management of large or complex development projects and provide consulting or technical assistance to clients in developing countries, including budgets, staff and deliverables.
• Demonstrated interest and capacity to lead proposals and other development work to support AIR’s growth in Developing Countries.
• Strong leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills with the ability to mentor and grow staff.
AIR offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including a fully funded retirement plan, generous paid time off, subsidized garage parking, tuition assistance, and more. For more information, please visit our website at
www.air.org . To apply, please go to http://jobs-airdc.icims.com?&sn=devnetjobs.org and conduct a job title search. EOE.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to