Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Deputy Country Director
Women for Women International
Location: Rumbek, South Sudan with travel to other field offices
Last Date: July 21, 2011
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
Women for Women International is an INGO based in Washington DC with a Country Office in South Sudan and seven other countries around the world. Its mission is to provide women victims of war and other conflicts with tools and resources to move from crisis and poverty into stability and self sufficiency, thus promoting a viable civil society.
Women for Women International (WfWI) Sudan is seeking to hire a Deputy Country Director, to be based in Rumbek, South Sudan with travel to other field offices as required. Occasional international travel will also be required.
1. Job Summary
The Deputy Country Director (DCD) is responsible for managing the day-to-day operational and programmatic work of the country office, supervising the most senior level positions for functional and programmatic areas including the Finance & Administration Manager, HR & Administration Officer, Life Skills & Sponsorship Manager, Income Generation Manager and Monitoring and Evaluation Manager. The DCD ensures the highest quality, integrity, and efficiency with regard to programming and operations and day-to-day supervision of all staff. The DCD will deputize for the Country Director in her absence and is a member of the country office Senior Management Team.
2. Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensure that all aspects of the core program, including sponsorship, life skills and vocational training as well as grant-funded initiatives and non-core supplemental activities, are implemented with the highest quality and integrity according to mission and goals.
2. Ensure that all data collection, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on any aspects of the program is conducted in a timely manner and according to the highest possible standards.
3. Work closely with the senior managers on all aspects of programming to ensure efficiency and accountability and to appropriately address challenges as they arise.
Strategy Development and Compliance:
1. Together with the Country Director, oversee the annual planning and budgeting for the country office, in collaboration with the local staff and HQ.
2. Participate in strategy development for the organization and the country office as required.
3. Ensure country office compliance with all organizational policies, procedures and program guidelines.
Financial and Administrative Management:
1. Ensure that financial and administrative management is effectively conducted including managing costs to budget, developing and monitoring systems and processes for recruitment, procurement, security, financial reporting, and other related areas.
2. Participate in the hiring of all senior manager level positions.
3. In collaboration with the HR Manager, ensure that country office staffing is maintained at appropriate level and within budget.
4. Oversee the development of new grant budgets and annual operating budgets.
5. Ensure compliance and communication of all policies and procedures established by WfWI.
1. Empower and supervise staff on a day to day basis to high performance in implementing the strategic direction of the organization, including mission, vision and goals.
2. Provide opportunities to improve staff performance including training, professional development and effective work structuring.
3. Performance manage direct reports in line with WWIs performance management framework, including the setting of annual performance objectives, annual performance development plans, annual performance appraisal and regular 1:1 meetings regarding progress throughout the year.
Fundraising & Representation
1. Assist the Country Director in developing fundraising opportunities and cultivating new donor relationships.
2. Develop and maintain working relationships with local and international partners, relevant government agencies, international and local NGOs working in country.
3. In the absence of the Country Director, lead and represent the organization to external audiences and stakeholders.
3. Required Skills & Qualifications
Master's Degree or equivalent post-graduate qualification in relevant field (or 15+ yrs experience in lieu of advanced degree);
Minimum of 10 years work experience, of which at least 5 years at senior managerial level; work experience in the INGO/NGO sector required;
Demonstrated experience of managing teams of 10 or more staff members;
Demonstrable understanding and experience of gender issues and proven commitment to addressing gender inequalities in all key areas of responsibility;
Strong dedication to supporting womens grassroots social, economic and civic organizations;
Familiarity with budgets, financial reporting, grant writing and reporting;
Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
Strong interpersonal, communication and teambuilding skills;
Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time efficiently.
Able to work as part of a team as well as make independent decisions;
High level of maturity and cultural sensitivity;
Knowledge of the political, economic and social context of South Sudan;
Ability and willingness to travel throughout the South Sudan region, and internationally and work away from Country Office as required;
Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Email applications.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required; local language skills an added advantage.
Must be a Sudanese national or third country national with valid work permit.
Application Instructions: All interested candidates should submit an updated CV, cover letter and 3 professional references to:
Application deadline: 21 July, 2011
Only short listed applicants will be invited to interview. No telephone inquiries please.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to