Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Consultancy for Grade 2 Literacy Program Design, Materials and Training Development
Room to Read (RtR) Cambodia
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Last Date: January 7, 2011
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
POSITION: CONSULTANCY FOR GRADE 2 LITERACY PROGRAM DESIGN, MATERIALS AND TRAINING DEVELOPMENT (CAMBODIA)
DUTY LOCATION: PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA
Room to Read (RtR) Cambodia has been working since 2002 on four programmatic areas:
1. The Reading Room (RR) program to established libraries for promoting and developing a habit of reading and reading skills among children;
2. The Local Language Publishing (LLP) program which works with local writers and illustrators to create and published high-quality local language children’s books;
3. The School Room (SR) program which is responsible for building and renovating schools, pre-schools and libraries; and
4. The Girls’ Education Program (GEP) which aims to foster life skills through academic workshops and provides support for girls to complete secondary school.
Following a global strategic planning process in 2009, RtR will build upon this strategy of providing access to educational infrastructure through libraries, children’s books, schools and girls education, to expand work to include the delivery of quality educational programs. One of the most compelling needs in primary education is to ensure children learn to read with comprehension in the early primary grades and develop and maintain reading achievements throughout primary school. RtR has, therefore, initiated a literacy program to focus on improving children’s reading skills at the primary school stage as well as promoting the habit of reading. An important component of this program involves piloting instructional models for teaching Reading in the official language of instruction, as well as creating a supportive, literate environment to enhance reading skills and encourage the habit of reading.
To accomplish the literacy program, the RtR-Cambodia Office is conducting a “Literacy Pilot Project”, to design supplementary materials for enhancing teaching and learning the Khmer language in Grade 1 and Grade 2. The Pilot is expected to be piloted for 3 years and aims to improve reading skills and promote children’s habit of reading.
Currently, the Literacy Pilot Project is being implemented during the Grade 1 Khmer language time in 20 schools in Puok district, of Siem Reap Province. The pilot will expand into Grade 2 during the 2011-2012 school year. To develop the program, Room to Read is building off of the needs identified during an ongoing Grade 2 contextual analysis to clarify an overall Grade 2 pilot strategy and outline the pilot instructional design. These processes will guide the development of instructional materials for the pilot and a comprehensive training program for teachers and school principals. This TOR provides support the RtR Country Team in Cambodia on the pilot design and development process.
To support the Room to Read Country Office in Cambodia with the Grade 2 instructional design, materials and training development process for the RtR Literacy Pilot.
III. SPECIFIC TASKS
1. Develop a background understanding of Room to Read Literacy pilot in Grade 1 through activities such as:
a. Taking part in an initial orientation on Room to Read’s literacy pilot;
b. Visiting schools to observe the current teaching and learning context in grade 1, such as how activities are transacted, materials are used, and practical challenges in the classroom and school;
c. Studying the grade 1 literacy pilot strategy and materials;
2. Review the grade 2 preliminary research and interact with Room to Read office and field staff to gain an understanding of the grade 2 literacy context in Cambodia;
3. Participate in the Grade 2 Room to Read Contextual Analysis Workshop in January/February to lay the foundation for designing the grade 2 strategy, materials and training;
4. Participate with RtR literacy team in developing and finalizing the grade 2 literacy pilot strategy for Cambodia;
5. Develop a Grade 2 instructional design for the classroom Reading period, including the content of a teachers’ guide, type of materials and activities, and timelines for progression of instruction.
6. Work in collaboration with the Literacy Program Coordinator and Country Team to develop appropriate materials for the Grade 2 literacy pilot, including drafting of materials, identifying and working with illustrators and other consultants, in addition to consultation and finalization of materials with government and partners;
7. Work in collaboration with the Literacy Program Coordinator and Literacy Team to develop a comprehensive Grade 2 literacy training program for teachers, school directors and literacy facilitators.
1. Room to Read Cambodia Grade 2 Literacy Pilot Strategy finalized for circulation in consultation with the government and partners;
2. Grade 2 instructional design for the classroom Reading period finalized in consultation with the government and partners;
3. A complete set of Grade 2 teaching and learning materials developed;
4. A comprehensive Grade 2 training program for teachers, school directors and literacy facilitators developed, tested and revised;
The consultancy will be carried out from January 2010 – August 2011.
Task Time frame Deliverables
Gain familiarity with the Room to Read Literacy pilot in grade 1 January 2011 • Presentation for the Grade 2 Contextual Workshop
Review the grade 2 preliminary research January 2011 • Presentation for the Grade 2 Contextual Workshop
Participate in the Grade 2 Room to Read Contextual Analysis Workshop February 2011 • Consultant workplan
Participate in the development and finalization of the Grade 2 literacy pilot strategy February – March 2011
• Grade 2 literacy pilot strategy
Draft and finalize the instructional design for the grade 2 literacy pilot. March – April 2011 • Instructional design strategy for classroom Reading
Develop Grade 2 teaching and learning materials April – July 2011 • Complete set of Grade 2 teaching and learning materials
Develop the Grade 2 training program July – August 2011 • Training program and materials for literacy facilitators;
• Training program and materials for teachers;
• Training program and materials for school directors;
VI. CONSULTANT QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate for this consultancy will have the following qualifications:
1. A Masters degree in a related field of study;
2. Background in working with literacy programs and/or teaching reading;
3. Excellent knowledge and understanding of teaching methodologies, curriculum and teacher training at the primary level;
4. Experience in materials development and conducting training programs for teachers;
5. Experience receiving and coordinating program inputs from government and international organizations;
6. Ability to work both independently and with a team;
7. A good understanding of the primary education context in Cambodia;
8. Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English (Khmer a bonus), including the ability to write reports and present information.
The consultant will work in cooperation with RtR Cambodia Literacy Team. The Country Director and Program Director will supervise the overall work of the consultant and provide support to the consultant in collaboration with the Room to Read Regional/Global Literacy Team.
Start date: mid-January 2010
Interested applicants are kindly requested to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae to Mr. Hor Sokhak at email@example.com with CC to Mr. Kann Kall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for the application submission is 7th January 2011.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to