Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Chief Development Officer
Room to Read
Location: San Francisco, CA
Last Date: May 27, 2011
Room to Read, one of the fastest-growing and award-winning NGOs founded in the last decade, seeks a super-star Chief Development Officer (CDO) to work closely with the executive team and Board of Directors to take fundraising, PR and marketing to the next level during the organization’s second decade. The CDO will be responsible for designing and executing a fundraising strategy that builds on the tremendous excitement of projects like Room to Read’s recent pledge at the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) 2010 Annual Meeting to enhance education for nearly one million girls in the developing world by 2012. The Chief Development Officer will join an organization that is poised to forever change the future by bringing the lifelong gift of education to millions of children across the developing world, and will play a critical role in its continued growth.
The Chief Development Officer is responsible for all fundraising, marketing and PR for the organization, including managing the fundraising team in the Global Office, New York, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Sydney, and Delhi. We seek a leader and an excellent manager who can build and run an efficient high performance team so that they are able to spend significant time in outward facing pursuits of the organization’s growth targets. The position plans, coordinates and assures implementation of strategies to develop donors and contributions to support Room to Read’s bold annual and long-term goals. Additionally, as we expand into new geographies, the CDO sets the strategy for raising multi-year operating campaign funds. In conjunction with a Deputy Director of Development, he/she also assures the development and maintenance of appropriate systems to support fundraising including volunteer and donor management, research and cultivation, gift processing and recognition. The Chief Development Officer will report directly to the CEO and work closely with the Board Chairman and Board of Directors. This is a full-time, exempt position located in San Francisco, CA.
• Build, inspire, motivate and lead a global team currently comprised of 40 fundraisers, who collectively meet (or exceed) the annual fundraising goal for the entire organization ($38MM in 2011, growing to over $100MM)
• Directly supervise a Deputy Director, Director of Marketing & Communications, and a part-time Executive Assistant
• Plan and implement long-term fundraising strategies to attract large, multi-year support for the vision of the organization
• Strategize for organizational growth, including, but not limited to, launching multi-year operating fund campaigns for new geographies and exploring the potential for an endowment
• Ensure that the annual goal for Gifts in Kind is met or exceeded for the organization ($4.3MM in 2010)
• Provide vital input in short- and long-term strategic and operational planning and positioning within the organization
• Evaluate the effect of internal and external forces on the organization and its fundraising, and recommend short- and long-range fund development plans and programs that support the organization’s values, mission and general objectives
• Help develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and volunteers
• Oversee the creation of an integrated global brand for Room to Read that is represented through all print and web-based marketing pieces
• Oversee the PR function and ensure that Room to Read is well represented in local, national and international media outlets
• Report to the Board and Advisory Board on annual plans, results to date and new fundraising initiatives on a frequent basis
• Working with the CEO, the Board and Advisory Board, help identify new potential board members
• Represent Room to Read by presenting at fundraising events and having an active slate of donor cultivation meetings in numerous locations
• Assist with expansion and leadership of our global network of 50 fundraising chapters, including providing guidance on the legal setup and operation of international chapters.
• Other duties as necessary
Experience and Qualifications:
• Twelve or more years of professional experience and proven achievement, with a minimum of 5+ years in a senior management capacity
• Successful implementation of an annual fundraising and/or sales, marketing and business development plan for a growing organization with a current annual operating budget of $38MM+
• Extensive capability leading and motivating a large (40+), geographically-dispersed staff to collectively meet or exceed goals
• Demonstrates advanced ability to work closely with and build relationships with diverse staff, corporate partners, major donors and Boards of Directors
• Demonstrates advanced fundraising or sales and sales leadership ability from a wide variety of sources including corporations, foundations, individuals, family foundations, and events fundraising
• Demonstrates advanced ability to close six and seven figure gifts or sales contracts
• Demonstrates advanced ability managing the overall marketing strategy for an organization including public relations for an individual or international organization
• Ability and desire to travel frequently both domestically (30%) and internationally (10%)
• Demonstrated effectiveness in either working or volunteering for a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead is highly desirable
• Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization
• Strong leader and strategic thinker
• The ability to engage and inspire audiences
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
• Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization
• Be an innovative and creative thinker; you’re not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
• Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
• Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
• Work well independently as well as part of a team
• Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
• Ability and desire to travel extensively
Compensation and Benefits:
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through the lifelong gift of education.
Room to Read has engaged Koya Consulting to help in this hire. Please send a compelling cover letter and resume to Katie Bouton at
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Room to Read:
Room to Read is a global organization seeking to transform the lives of millions of children in the developing world by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Room to Read works in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children and to ensure girls have the skills and support needed to complete their secondary education. Since 2000, Room to Read has impacted the lives of more than four million children in Asia and Africa and aims to reach 10 million children by 2015. For more information about the organization, please visit www.roomtoread.org.
About Koya Consulting:
Koya Consulting is a national retained search and consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations. For more information about Koya Consulting, please visit
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to