Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Researcher - Economics or Social Sciences
International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Last Date: March 31, 2011
RESEARCHER – ECONOMICS OR SOCIAL SCIENCES
The Person and the Job
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) seeks a highly competent and motivated economist or social scientist to provide
economic and/or social science perspectives, methodologies and analysis to research projects related to water use, food production,
climate change adaptation and poverty in Nepal. This researcher will have the opportunity to take on the responsibility of developing a
progressive research program for IWMI’s work in Nepal, which includes designing projects, supervising staff and writing fundable
• initially, design and conduct social science research at a hous ehold and community level to evaluate water storage options
and technologies in the Koshi Basin, Nepal;
• provide economic and/or social science perspectives and analysis in other IWMI projects/programs in Nepal;
• over time, provide research direction and contribute to fund ra ising activities to expand IWMI’s research program in the
• liaise with local donors and government agencies to ensure impa ct and uptake of IWMI’s research outputs; and
• document and publish results in international peer-reviewed journals and at other suitable fora.
You must possess:
• a PhD in economics, anthropology, sociology, geography or a rel ated discipline;
• minimum of five years’ research experience in water/land or nat ural resources management in developing countries;
• familiarity with economics and social science issues, and metho ds related to agricultural water use in developing countries;
• competence in the application of statistical methods; and
• a proven track record of publications in international peer-rev iewed journals.
It would be useful if you had:
• knowledge of existing bureaucratic structures, legal regulations, and inter-sectoral relationships of relevant ministries/
government agencies in the Himalayan Region; and
• experience living and working in developing countries, especially Nepal.
This is an internationally recruited position with a competitive salary and benefits package, including housing allowance, transport,
education, shipping assistance, annual home leave, retirement and health insurance. IWMI appoints staff initially on three-year
contracts which are subject to renewal, depending on performance and the Institute’s needs. This position will also require
For further information, contact Dr. Mark Giordano, Theme Leader-Water and Society on +94 11 2880000.
Complete Application Form + attach your résumé + attach your letter which addresses IWMI’s requirements shown above
with names and email addresses of 3 professional referees, to be contacted if you are short-listed
Your application will be acknowledged automatically within 24 hours. If not, please email us at
The International Water Management Institute ( www.iwmi.org
) is a non-profit, scientific organization engaged in research and
capacity building activities for developing countries. Our mission is to overcome poverty through better management of land
and water resources. Working with diverse partners and supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural
Research ( www.cgiar.org ), IWMI seeks to translate its research findings into actionable recommendations for policymakers,
resource managers and poor rural communities. IWMI is based in Sri Lanka and has regional offices in 12 countries in Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.
IWMI is an equal opportunity employer and is keen to further diversify its staff in terms of both gender and nationality.
Please submit your application on-line at:
www.iwmi.org/About_IWMI/Vacancies/ Closing date: 31st March 2011
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to