Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Helen Keller International
Last Date: March 12, 2011
Helen Keller International
Job Announcement – Country Director – Bangladesh
Initial Closing Date: March 11, 2011
Established in 1915 with Helen Keller as a founding trustee, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 21 countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States. HKI is known for sustainability, reliability, efficiency and the highest level of technical expertise in fighting and treating blindness and malnutrition. To accomplish its work, HKI builds the capacity of local governmental, civil society and private sector systems and infrastructure, and promotes the development of sustained, large-scale programs that deliver effective preventative and curative eye health and nutrition services. The hallmark of the organization’s work is its proven effectiveness in developing, testing and scaling-up health interventions, and integrating them within government and community structures. HKI works with partners around the world to help meet key provisions of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), selected by all 191 United Nations member states, as well as VISION2020, The Right to Sight. With over 700 staff and an annual cash operating budget of over $45 million, HKI is seeking a Country Director to represent HKI and be responsible for all HKI/Bangladesh (HKI/BD) activities. The Country Director reports to the Vice President, Regional Director for Asia-Pacific Region.
Country Program Overview:
In partnership with the Government of Bangladesh and non-governmental organizations, HKI/BD will be participating in the implementation of the following types of programs: Homestead Food Production + Essential Nutrition Actions, which enables households to increase production and consumption of micronutrient-rich foods and delivers added nutritional services; a national food security and nutrition surveillance system that monitors household food security, and children’s and women’s nutritional status; and diabetic retinopathy, which links diabetics to screening and treatment for diabetes-related eye disease that can cause blindness if left untreated. HKI/BD is one of the key technical assistance organizations in Bangladesh for nutrition, agriculture and food security. HKI/BD also conducts operational research and special studies and has been involved in designing and implementing evaluations of food assistance and other programs.
Scope of the Position:
HKI/BD collaborates with HKI Asia-Pacific Regional Staff; other HKI Country Directors; HKI Headquarters Program Department, particularly HKI Senior Vice President, Programs, Finance, Human Resources and Communications Departments; Governmental, International, University and Non-governmental Organizations within Bangladesh.
Responsibilities and Tasks/Duties:
Overall Management and Leadership
• Manage key project personnel to ensure that the objectives agreed to in grants and contracts for HKI Bangladesh projects are achieved.
• Develop strategic plans to further the overall mission and specific programs of HKI that meet the evolving needs and conditions in Bangladesh.
• Disseminate findings from HKI projects that are of importance to decision-makers in a position to fund or implement projects in Bangladesh and internationally.
• Keep the Asia-Pacific Regional office and others informed about progress of the projects, plans for the development of new programs/projects/activities and donor involvement in the overall program.
• Liaise with governmental and non-governmental organizations in Bangladesh, donors, and HKI Headquarters.
• Oversee, coordinate and develop HKI Bangladesh’s program portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality and accountability, while fostering continuity through building local capacity.
• Represent HKI and provide technical input to the government, international donor agencies and technical advisory groups pertinent to HKI project activities.
• Ensure effective project implementation, and manage project personnel to achieve the objectives agreed to in grants and contracts for HKI Bangladesh’s projects.
• Oversee research design, methodology and dissemination of information needed to monitor and evaluate project activities.
• Oversee development of materials to disseminate findings and lessons learned from HKI projects that are important for advocacy with decision-makers.
• Ensure that narrative reports are submitted to HKI Headquarters, the regional office and donors as required by project agreements.
• Submit information as requested for external audiences to the Asia-Pacific Regional Director and key Headquarters staff for review and approval before release.
Financial and Administrative:
• Work with HKI Regional Office and HQ to manage the development of annual field budgets for Bangladesh projects.
• Prepare financial reports for the HKI Finance Department that comply with grant or contract agreements.
• Ensure timely submission of financial reports within the guidelines established by the HKI Finance Department.
• Authorize expenditures for grant or contract allocations for Bangladesh projects.
• Ensure compliance with procedures required by grant or contract agreements for Bangladesh projects.
• Hire and manage personnel for Bangladesh projects in compliance with HKI policies and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity.
Marketing and Fundraising
• Oversee the generation of concept papers, proposals and other information as needed for submission to donors and others for fundraising and marketing purposes.
• Develop and disseminate appropriate packages of ‘lessons learned’ from HKI’s experiences for Bangladeshi and international audiences.
• Solicit funds and in-kind donations from corporations, foundations, governmental organizations, and international and bilateral agencies in Bangladesh.
• Collaborate with Regional Office, HKI/NY and HKI/Europe Office on fund-raising efforts.
• A Master’s degree in public health, nutrition, development, management or related field.
• Ten (10) years of program related experience, including at least 7 years of managing a large staff, both local and international, in an international setting.
• Excellent oral and written English language skills, including the ability to quickly synthesize complex technical and programmatic issues into concise communications.
• Demonstrated experience and skills in leadership, staff management, program development and management, monitoring and evaluation, and public speaking.
• Demonstrated ability to generate program funding including donor cultivation and grant writing.
• Computer literate in use of word-processing, spreadsheet and statistical software; experience in data analysis and interpretation is highly desirable.
• Ability to travel within Bangladesh and periodically internationally.
The initial contract is for two years with the possibility of renewal depending on performance and availability of funding. Salary based on qualifications, experience, and grant requirements. Housing and other overseas allowances will be provided, in accordance with HKI policies.
Interested candidates should submit: (1) a well-thought out cover letter; and (2) a current curriculum vitae in English, to Nancy J. Haselow, Regional Director for Asia Pacific at
firstname.lastname@example.org and to HKI Human Resources at
email@example.com . Please note HKI CD/Bangladesh in the header. All correspondence should include physical and e-mail addresses as well as contact telephone number(s). Only e-mail applications will be accepted.
The initial closing deadline is March 11, 2011. We anticipate filling the position by the end of April 2011 with a start date in Bangladesh by June 7 or as close thereafter as possible. We appreciate the interest of all applicants in working for HKI, however, due to the volume of applications we receive, only short-listed candidates will be notified.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to