Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Economist - Agriculture
International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Last Date: December 13, 2010
ECONOMIST - AGRICULTURE
(Pretoria, South Africa)
Please submit your application on-line at:
Closing date: 13th December 2010
The Person and the Job
If you possess a PhD in Agricultural Economics, Economics or equivalent, and have at least three years post-doctoral research experience working in developing countries, then this could be the job for you. This position reports to the Head of IWMI’s Southern Africa Office in Pretoria,
South Africa. Under the leadership of Head of Office, you will work on existing projects and undertake project development activities to sustain partnerships within IWMI’s strategic plan and Theme priorities, specifically in relation to agricultural economics. You will also serve as the Coordinator, on the project Regional Strategic Analysis and Knowledge Support System for Southern Africa (ReSAKSS-SA).
• analyze agricultural investment, growth and poverty trends and trade dynamics in Southern Africa with a particular focus on water
• develop and track indicators of agricultural growth and poverty reduction to assist key project stakeholders in monitoring and meeting
• prepare the Annual Report of Monitoring and Evaluation of Agriculture Sector performance in Southern Africa with a particular focus
• promote greater knowledge and data sharing through web-based platforms, and the coordination of dialogue linking policy analysis
and decision making
• be expected to publish research results in international scientific journals
You must possess:
• PhD in Agricultural Economics, Economics or equivalent.
• minimum of 3 years post-doctoral research experience
• knowledge of the social and political background of water allocation and management and/or irrigation, especially in developing
• a very good record of peer-reviewed publications
• work experience in developing countries
• the ability to gain respect of, and communicate effectively with, senior government and donor officials while also being respected for
her/his conceptual and research capacities
• skills in building network linkages, promoting information exchange and policy analysis relating to agriculture and poverty alleviation
• excellent leadership, management, interpersonal, networking and team building skills
• excellent command of both oral and written English
You must know about:
• the concepts and tools required to undertake economic analysis;
• quantitative and qualitative methodologies
It would be useful if you had:
• work experience in Africa, particularly Southern Africa
• working knowledge of Portuguese and/or French
This is an internationally recruited position with a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes housing allowance, transport,
education, shipping assistance, annual home leave, retirement, and health insurance package. IWMI’s policy is to appoint staff initially on three
year contracts which are subject to renewal, depending on performance and institute’s needs. This position will also require travel in the regions
IWMI has a presence in.
The International Water Management Institute (
www.iwmi.org ) is a non-profit, scientific organization engaged in research and capacity building activities
for developing countries. Our mission is to overcome poverty through better management of land and water resources. Working with diverse partners and
supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (
www.cgiar.org ), IWMI seeks to translate its research findings into actionable
recommendations for policymakers, resource managers and poor rural communities. IWMI is based in Sri Lanka and has regional offices in 12 countries in
Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.
IWMI is an equal opportunity employer and is keen to further diversify its staff in terms of both gender and nationality.
Complete Application Form + attach your résumé + attach your letter which addresses IWMI’s requirements shown above
with names and email addresses of 3 professional referees, to be contacted if you are short-listed.
Your application will be acknowledged automatically within 24 hours. If not, please email us at
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to