Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Molecular Breeder for Grain Quality (Scientist)
International Rice Research Institute
Location: Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines
Last Date: August 20, 2011
Email: IRRIRecruitment@irri.org (Reference:
Rice is life for millions of people around the world. At the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), a team of more than 1,200 world-class scientific and support staff are working to reduce poverty through rice science.
We are seeking a Molecular Breeder for Grain Quality who will work in close collaboration with breeders, geneticists, physiologists, breeding informatics team, and cereal chemists to develop pre-breeding products with improved grain quality characteristics suitable for different market segments and contribute to population improvement in terms of enhanced yield potential and grain quality.
1. Apply molecular approaches in close collaboration with breeders, geneticists, cereal chemists, and breeding informatics team to develop pre-breeding products with superior grain quality suitable for different market segments.
2. Collaborate with grain quality specialists and breeders to develop markers for genes/QTLs governing different quality characteristics and to transfer such traits through marker-assisted selection into high-yielding rice cultivars and pyramiding of QTLs for quality characteristics.
3. Contribute to population improvement with emphasis on enhancing yield potential and grain quality.
4. Participate in degree and nondegree training programs.
5. Publish results in scientific journals.
The successful candidate will have a PhD in plant breeding or a related field; with at least 3 years of postdoctoral experience in plant breeding, particularly on rice grain quality; experience in rice breeding, mapping genes/QTLs for quality characteristics in rice, developing populations and specialized genetic stocks, including near-isogenic lines; and excellent written and spoken English.
The position will be based at the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) headquarters in Los Baņos, Laguna, Philippines, with a competitive compensation and benefit package. IRRI provides a multicultural work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit their application to
IRRIRecruitment@irri.org . Screening will start on 20 August 2011 and will continue until a suitable candidate has been found. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The full position description may be found at
Join us to deliver rice science for a better world
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to