Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Volcanoes Safaris (“VS”)
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Last Date: May 22, 2011
Volcanoes Safaris Country Manager, Rwanda.
An exciting opportunity to join the Number 1 Gorilla Safari Company as Country Manager, Rwanda.
Volcanoes Safaris (“VS”) is a unique great ape eco-tourism business specialising in mountain gorilla safaris to Africa, in particular to Uganda and Rwanda. It was founded in 1997 and has taken over 6,000 clients on gorilla safaris. It employs over 100 people.
We are looking for a motivated, dynamic individual to head up our Rwanda office. The location of the role is Kigali, capital of Rwanda with potentially occasional visits to other offices and the VS properties around Uganda and Rwanda.
1. To ensure the general smooth and efficient day-to-day running of the Rwanda office and ground handling operation (i.e. not the lodge) and proper liaison with other areas of VS, working closely on this with other senior managers.
2. To contribute to the development of VS’s overall strategy and direction as it grows and changes.
3. To help maximise the level of sales and reservations at VS through maximising the conversion of enquiries at the Kigali office into actual sales.
4. To work closely with the MD and the rest of the senior team to ensure that the values and ethos of VS are appropriately represented to customers, introducers of customers, staff, suppliers and others involved with VS.
The Country Manager role principally includes the matters below. Inevitably, the role also includes other matters which may arise that will need to be handled to ensure the objectives of the role are fulfilled.
1. Tours – Sales and Reservations
a) Handling enquiries from both direct clients and from Tour Operators / Travel Agents in Rwanda, UK, US and Europe, be they walk-in clients or enquiries via email and telephone i.e. planning itineraries, issuing quotes and following up on the quotes. On receipt of a confirmed booking, then making all the arrangements for the safari, including booking accommodation, vehicles and drivers.
b) On arrival of clients in-country, meeting & greeting them, accompanying large groups in the field and problem solving of whatever nature.
c) Assisting others in the team to develop on-going sales policy, i.e. pricing, costing structures, commissions to suppliers, sales targets, formulating possible new sales strategies and developing possible new revenue streams.
d) Assisting in discussions / strategic debate on sales and reservations generally and providing input on VS’s customer proposition and product offering.
2. Tours – Vehicles
a) Overseeing day-to-day the Rwandan vehicle fleet, working with the guides and local mechanics, and trouble shooting as necessary.
b) Identifying and helping to purchase new vehicles, liaising with Senior Management.
c) Hiring vehicles, as required.
d) Allocating vehicles to safaris, working closely with Kampala office.
3. Tours – Guides
a) Management of Guides, briefing them on their safaris and updating them on any relevant matter to do with VS and their work.
b) Getting updates and feedback from the guides on such matters as client views, road conditions, issues at the lodges and any other relevant matters.
4. Human Resources
a) Day-to-day planning managing the sales and accounts team members in the Kigali office
b) Recruitment of new staff when necessary.
c) Training and support of new recruits.
d) Problem solving of whatever nature when personnel issues and problems arise, including management of any redundancies.
e) Liaising with lodge managers and other senior staff if clients have specific requirements affecting lodge staff or if clients raise complaints about lodge staff.
f) Helping generally to maintain a productive and enjoyable working culture and promoting VS’s values to other staff.
5. Marketing and PR
a) PR: representing the Company at tourism related functions and other events that may have a PR benefit for the Company, such as ORTPN (Rwandan Wildlife Authority) meetings and gorilla naming ceremonies.
b) Trade shows: attending local and international trade shows, as required.
a) Administration: running or supervising a range of office management activities.
b) Finance: supporting the Rwanda accounts staff in the running of this area and reviewing the information provided by them but only dealing with cash when other staff members are away.
c) Lodge liaison: assisting Kampala office liaise with, in particular, Virunga lodge.
The ideal candidate will
• Ideally have some knowledge of Africa and a strong work ethic
• Be capable of building strong relationships and being credible in representing VS’s values
• Have strong personal organisational and IT capabilities, including careful documentation skills and attention to detail, but without losing sight of the ‘big-picture’
• Be a team player, working well with colleagues and being capable of fostering effective working relationships that ensure high levels of performance and clear, accurate and timely communication
• Have some experience of managing of a small team.
• The ability to think quickly and problem solve
• Good customer service and communication skills
• The ability to evaluate current systems and procedures and where necessary set up new ones.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter to
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to