Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Resident Director for Finance and Administration
National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI)
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Last Date: May 18, 2011
Afghanistan: Resident Director for Finance and Administration
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Resident Director for Finance and Administration to assist with the implementation of its programs in Afghanistan. The Director will be supervised by the Institute’s Senior Resident Director in Afghanistan and will be supported by Kabul and Washington D.C.-based staff. The Director will be based in Kabul. This position is available immediately. A commitment of at least one year is expected for this position.
NDI established an office in Afghanistan in March 2002 and has since conducted extensive programs to support political participation and the development of democratic governance institutions. The Institute has helped to prepare candidates, political parties, polling agents, women and domestic monitors to participate effectively in the country’s 2004, 2005, 2009 and 2010 elections. NDI has also implemented programs to strengthen political processes in the National Assembly.
Since 2006, NDI has been conducting programs to assist the country’s provincial councils, strengthening the capacity of local government to address citizen needs and function effectively in the country’s development processes. Through this work, the Institute has and continues to provide comprehensive training on monitoring and evaluation, facilitate site visits to development projects, and help councilors to engage government executives and international institutions on local development processes. This work is implemented through the Institute’s seven regional offices in Afghanistan – in Balkh, Herat, Kandahar, Khost, Kunduz and Nangarhar as well as its primary office in Kabul.
In addition, following the 2010 parliamentary elections, NDI is currently conducting programs to promote electoral reform, strengthen the role of political parties in parliament, and support women’s participation in the country’s political processes. NDI’s programs are funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA).
• Maintain financial management systems and ensure the submission of accurate monthly financial reconciliation statements to NDI’s Washington DC office;
• Develop and maintain office, personnel, and payroll management systems, including compliance with national tax system;
• Oversee the field office’s finance unit, administrative unit, maintenance and housekeeping staff;
• Manage all Human Resources issues and ensure compliance with local laws;
• Handle issues relevant to the maintenance of NDI’s Kabul regional offices as well as the office and residence compound in Kabul;
• Manage office filing and archive systems, and oversee the compilation and maintenance of local databases as required;
• Oversee the implementation of policies regarding procurement, shipping, travel and insurance;
• Ensure appropriate logistical support is provided for all office events, including organizing meetings and workshops;
• Draft program support documents and regular internal reports, as needed;
• Manage travel and accommodation logistics for all office staff and consultants; and
• Other duties as required.
• Minimum of fourteen (14) years experience in an international organization in an administrative / finance capacity;
• Undergraduate degree in a field of study related to international development, finance; graduate degree in political science, international relations, public policy, law, or related field preferred;
• Ability to live and work in a challenging political and economic environment; prior experience in conflict or post-conflict settings required;
• Experience in the financial management and reporting of multi-million dollar project operations;
• Experience with projects supported by USAID and other international donors preferred;
• Superior office and staff management skills, with a high degree of organization and attention to detail;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to present information, respond to questions and contribute to written proposals and reports in a professional manner;
• Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with staff, donors and local partners;
• Capacity to develop and implement effective strategies for accomplishing assigned duties;
• Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision; capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team;
• Excellent knowledge of PC-based word processing, database and spreadsheet applications;
• Interest in Afghan political issues; and
• Fluent in written and spoken English; knowledge of Dari and/or Pashto a plus.
This is a non-dependent post.
NDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please visit our website: http://www.ndi.org
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to