Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Last Date: November 27, 2010
Country Director AMREF in Kenya (CHR/10/11-14)
AMREF is the largest indigenous health development nongovernmental organization based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, AMREF aims to close the gap that prevents people from accessing their basic right to health. With headquarters in Kenya, AMREF has programmes in Ethiopia, Uganda, Somalia, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa. Employing over 800 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $70 million, AMREF is a knowledge resource for donors and partners. For more information visit our website
AMREF is recruiting a Country Director to provide leadership and strategic direction to the country office and field based staff in the AMREF Kenya Country Programme. The incumbent will be in charge of country performance and programme growth and will ensure that adequate monitoring, evaluation and accountability mechanisms are in place. The Country Director is a key position and part of AMREF’s senior management team, reporting to the Director General with a critical role to play in the accomplishment of AMREF’s mission and strategy.
• Providing leadership for the dissemination of AMREF values, vision and mission at the country level;
• Directing and managing Kenya programme to deliver AMREF’s and country specific strategic objectives in line with overall mission and strategy;
• Promoting AMREF’s organizational identity to all national stakeholders and partners in Kenya and ensuring AMREF remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country;
• Developing networks, partnerships and liaisons with national/regional/international institutions working in Kenya and spearheading donor collaboration, fundraising and programme/project development at country level;
• Spearheading project fundraising from traditional and non-traditional donors internationally and locally;
• Leading organizational strengthening and supporting, developing and mentoring AMREF Kenya staff to deliver high quality programmes and projects;
• Together with the monitoring and evaluation function at Headquarters, is responsible for ensuring that adequate monitoring, evaluation and accountability mechanisms are in place and are used effectively within AMREF Kenya;
• Ensuring that the knowledge gained from Kenya Country programme is documented and shared with the other AMREF Country Programmes and Headquarters, and with external partners and users, representing AMREF at country level and is responsible for the management of host country relations. Ensuring that AMREF Kenya adheres to national laws and regulations governing the functions carried out by AMREF in Kenya.
The ideal candidate will have a postgraduate degree preferably in public health or a related subject at a minimum of masters level, with at least 8 years progressive experience 3 of which should be in senior management; strong understanding of managing operations in the developing world, preferably within the health development sector; hands-on experience in implementing primary health care in support of district and participatory health care systems and familiarity of the health and development needs of disadvantage people; demonstrable network of contacts and high standing in his/her profession; proven track record of building effective partnerships and strategic alliances; proven experience in managing a major programme and/or institutional group; proven people management skills in a multi-cultural environment and strong track record of developing people with knowledge/familiarity with African and other international development organizations. Please visit the AMREF website for a detailed job description.
This is an internationally recruited position attracting a competitive salary and attractive package of benefits.
If you are looking for growth and new challenges and have a passion for improving the health of disadvantaged communities in Africa, you are welcome to join us. Please quote the above reference number and send your application to The Director of Human Resources, AMREF Headquarters by email to
firstname.lastname@example.org . We encourage interested candidates to submit their applications by November 27, 2010 although the search will remain open until the position is filled.
AMREF is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to