Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Medical Informatics Project Coordinator
Partners In Health (“PIH”)
Location: Mirebalais, Haiti
Last Date: July 18, 2011
Title: Medical Informatics Project Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Monitoring and Evaluation, Zamni Lasante
IDRC grant reporting: Director of Informatics and Telemedicine, Partners In Health
Location: Mirebalais, Haiti
Partners In Health (“PIH”), co-founded by Paul Farmer and Ophelia Dahl and headquartered in Boston, MA, is an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Through its service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works globally to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need and to serve as an antidote to despair. PIH has major programs in Haiti, Peru, Guatemala, Mexico, Russia, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Burundi, Kazakhstan, the Dominican Republic, and Boston, working tirelessly to lessen the joint burden of disease and poverty.
This is an exciting time for PIH as the organization is going through a period of significant growth. PIH has played a vital role in the response and reconstruction of Haiti following the 2010 earthquake, and these efforts are resulting in both a broadened scope of work and heightened visibility for the organization. As the work continues to expand, PIH seeks individuals committed to the mission and values of the organization (see PIH values) to join the team.
PIH and its partners pioneered the development of OpenMRS, an open source electronic medical record system. PIH is also the recipient of a grant from the International Development Research Center (IDRC) aiming to strengthen Haitian eHealth systems to support improved health care delivery.
Job Description Overview:
We are looking for a qualified individual to coordinate the Medial Informatics project at our sister organization in Haiti, Zamni Lasante. The Medical Informatics Project Coordinator must have a strong background in data management, with relevant experience in informatics, monitoring and evaluation and/or research. The candidate should have an aptitude for formulating strategy and carrying out workplans, and proven experience in leadership and team building. He or she may also work closely with the Government of Haiti (GOH) and other stakeholders to introduce and evaluate standards for national eHealth architecture.
1. Ensure that outputs from ZL’s Electronic Medical Record (EMR) can be used effectively for improving clinical care as well as monitoring, evaluation, research and quality improvement of core PIH/ZL activities.
2. Ensure appropriate levels of data quality by designing best practices and workplans, in collaboration with ZL data management, data entry and clinical staff.
3. Work closely with PIH/ZL leadership to design, implement and optimize features in Electronic Medical Record (EMR), lab, supply chain and mobile data systems, in support of improved health care delivery at PIH/ZL health facilities.
4. Act as the team’s key liaison with PIH/ZL doctors and management in Haiti.
5. Work with ZL and PIH Medical Informatics teams to design and implement detailed specifications and workplans. Ensure that deliverables are realistic, and that deadlines are met.
6. Collaborate with GOH, I-TECH and other organizations within Haiti on national eHealth issues, such as exchange of patient data between systems; ensure fulfillment of the IDRC grant goals.
7. Contribute to the evaluation of informatics systems, under supervision of the PIH Director of Informatics.
8. Provide guidance and support to the PIH/ZL IT team where possible.
9. Take on additional work required by PIH/ZL for medical data management.
1. At least two years experience in medical informatics, monitoring and evaluation, and/or research, or other relevant experience relating to the management of information systems.
2. Excellent management and communication skills.
3. Masters of Public Health, or equivalent degree in a related field.
4. Fluent in English and French, exposure to Haitian Creole a plus.
5. Comfortable living in a rural area; ability to take initiative and work with minimal direction.
6. Exposure to issues relevant to public health and international development.
7. Knowledge and experience in IT, programming and/or statistical software packages is a plus.
8. Willingness to take on additional work outside of the job description as required by ZL.
9. A commitment to global health equity and social justice.
10. Flexible and adaptable; able to function well in a challenging, dynamic environment.
To apply, please visit our website at
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to