Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
European Communications Officer
Open Society Foundations
Location: London, UK
Last Date: July 15, 2011
EUROPEAN COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
OPEN SOCIETY FOUNDATIONS, (LONDON)
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens. To achieve this mission, the Foundations seek to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights. On a local level, the Open Society Foundations implement a range of initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media. At the same time, we build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information. The Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
Investor and philanthropist George Soros established the Open Society Foundations, starting in 1984, to help countries make the transition from communism. Our activities have grown to encompass the United States and more than 70 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America. Each Foundation relies on the expertise of boards composed of eminent citizens who determine individual agendas based on local priorities.
The Office of Communications plays a central role in the work of the Foundations by coordinating and strengthening the public presence of the global network and by helping to advance relevant issues. Communications works to raise the Foundations’ public profile by promoting the network’s many noteworthy achievements as well as responding to attacks from opponents of open society around the world. The department employs media outreach, publications, and the web to assist dozens of Open Society foundations and programs in their communications efforts.
The European Communications Officer will help design and implement the communications and outreach strategy of the Open Society Foundations offices in London and Brussels and work closely with national foundations in Europe on their communications needs. The position will be responsible for outreach in Europe and assist with trainings throughout the network on developing communications strategies, and successful messaging.
• Devise and implement appropriate media strategies to support the Open Society Foundations’ advocacy goals in Europe;
• Advise the network of national foundations in Europe on strategic and ad-hoc outreach campaigns in the EU and assist in implementing them;
• Position Open Society Foundations’ advocacy messages in the European print and online media, including EU press in Brussels;
• Draft and edit Op-Eds, letters-to-the-editor, and press releases;
• Produce and curate web material;
• Establish and cultivate relationships with local and regional print, broadcast, and online media in Europe;
• Elevate the Open Society Foundations’ work, advising colleagues of important developments and media opportunities;
• Handle requests for media interviews and background briefings and organise press conferences.
• Educated to degree level in a relevant field
• Extensive experience as a journalist or communications professional;
• Excellent English-language writing and editing ability, as well as verbal skills;
• Excellent skills in the development of communications strategies;
• Social media expertise;
• High level of self-motivation, initiative, and creativity;
• Willingness to travel extensively for work;
• Diplomatic manner and ability to adapt to a range of cultures and experiences in interacting with program management, colleagues at all levels, contacts, and the public;
• Knowledge of French is strongly preferred.
START DATE/DURATION: ASAP
COMPENSATION: £40,000 - £45,000. Excellent benefits package.
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements before 15th July 2011, to:
recruitment-CMP@osf-eu.org . Include job code in subject line: ECOMOF
No phone calls, please. The Open Society Foundations is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to