Programme Officer: Green Entrepreneurship
Hivos India Regional Office
Last Date: July 25, 2010
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
is seeking a
Hivos is a non-governmental organisation, rooted in the Netherlands and guided by humanist values, that wants to contribute to a free, fair and sustainable world where citizens, women and men, have equal access to resources, opportunities and markets and can participate actively and equally in decision making processes that determine their lives, their society and their future. Hivos' basic commitment is to poor and marginalised people - and their organisations - in countries of the global South. A sustainable improvement of their situation is the ultimate benchmark for the work and efforts of Hivos. The empowerment of women in order to achieve gender equality is a primary directive in Hivos' policy. To these ends, Hivos offers financial and political support for civil society organizations and initiatives that share Hivos' goals. In addition to funding, Hivos engages in networking, advocacy and sharing knowledge in the national and international arena as well as in The Netherlands.
Hivos’ India Regional Office, based in Bangalore, is seeking a Programme Officer with specific qualifications in Green Entrepreneurship, i.e., in sustainable agriculture, development of economically and environmentally sustainable enterprises, natural resource management and development of local economies, micro-finance, financial services, national and international policy for ecological and social sustainability, climate change and renewable energy. The appointment will be for the period of a year, with possibility of extension.
1. Programme management;
2. Capacity building of partner organizations;
3. Development of relevant multi-actor initiatives/programmesin partnership with other stakeholders;
5. Contribution to Hivos’ overall organizational and policy development.
a) Related to programme management
i. Operationalizing policies: Identifying and assessing potential partner organisations and their programmes
ii. Processing proposals from existing and new partner organizations, including direct and indirect support for improving proposal quality, and preparing Organisational Assessments and contract agreements
iii. Monitoring partners including routine correspondence, field visits, and progress reports
iv. Supporting partners to strengthen their internal organisations and networks
v. Final assessment and approval of progress reports, financial statements and audit reports
vi. Maintaining proper project and sector files and documents
vii. Organising external evaluations and consultancy missions including identifying and contracting evaluators / consultants, drafting TORs, informing partners, assessing evaluation reports.
viii. Drafting progress / final reports to Hivos’ back donors
ix. Addressing issues related to disaster risk reduction on a needs basis.
b) Related to capacity building
i. Identifying capacity building requirements of partner organisations, drafting TORs, selecting, contracting and monitoring consultants providing technical assistance to partner organisations
c) Related to partnerships and sector coordination
i. Profiling Hivos within the sector
ii. Relating to a variety of stakeholders, facilitating the emergence of collaborations.
iii. Fundraising, including preparation of concept notes and proposals.
iv. Liaising with Hivos’ back donors, including EU.
v. Facilitating cooperation between Hivos partners and other Indian and international civil society organizations
vi. Participating in relevant sector networks of national and international NGOs and government
vii. Building relationships with other donors, the corporate/public/private sectors, banks and financial institutions.
d) Related to institutional matters
i. Contributing to Hivos publications and reports
ii. Organising occasional in-house and external seminars, workshops and consultations as well as other knowledge-sharing related initiatives.
iii. Contributing to programme highlights, institutional planning exercises including mid-term review and end-of-term review.
iv. Contributing to regional and sectoral policies of Hivos
v. Contributing to Hivos’ Knowledge Programme
• Sound development perspective, with an understanding of the development sector in India, and excellent analytical abilities.
• Excellent knowledge of and experience in the policy areas, Sustainable Production, Financial Services and Business Development.
• At least 3 – 5 years of relevant work experience.
• Capacity for independent decision-making and taking end-line responsibility
• Ability to translate generic sector policies into realistic initiatives in the Indian context.
• Candidates should be well organized, diligent, show initiative, be able to work under high pressure to meet deadlines, able to work as a member of a team, and be prepared to travel extensively and frequently within and outside India (including in rural areas).
• Excellent communication skills, oral and written, in English; knowledge of Hindi and Kannada/Tamil/Telugu desirable
• Planning, monitoring and evaluation skills
• Computer skills are a pre-requisite.
• Desirable: Exposure and/or work experience in rural India; specific experience with sustainable agriculture, producer organizations, cooperatives, micro-finance, non-banking financial institutions, collaborative work involving civil society, public sector, private sector and State.
• Educational qualifications: Master’s degree in Rural Management, Agriculture, Business Administration, Rural Development or equally relevant education.
Women are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: 25 July 2010
To send a well motivated application letter stating why you would be suited for the position, along with names of three referees and your updated CV, write to:
. All applications received will be acknowledged.
Further information on Hivos: www.hivos.nl/english