Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Forest Project Officer, India
The Forest Trust (TFT)
Location: Delhi based - with extensive travel within India
Last Date: March 15, 2011
TFT FOREST PROJECT OFFICER, INDIA
JOB TITLE: Forest Project Officer, India
LOCATION: Delhi based - with extensive travel within India
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position to be filled as soon as possible. No deadline has been set.
LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS: English and appropriate Indian regional languages (e.g. Hindi, Punjabi and Rajasthani)
TERM: 2 years with possible extension
BACKGROUND/GENERAL DESCRIPTION The Forest Trust (TFT) is a UK based charity that works in partnership with both producers and consumers of wood. TFT focuses on making trade in forest products from sustainably managed forests standard practice. In partnership with forest companies, local communities and
other stakeholders, TFT provides expert advice and guidance to improve forest management practices towards the achievement of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification. Through promoting the international trade of sustainably produced timber, TFT seeks to give forests value as fully functioning ecosystems. TFT is currently
working in over 4 million hectares of forests across the globe and is expanding its forestry program to India.
TFT IN INDIA: TFT is launching its office in India in 2011. TFT has opportunities to expand its presence in India to support sustainable forest management and FSC certification, and to link forest products into the international market for certified and responsibly produced products.
FOREST OFFICER RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The TFT Forester will be responsible for the implementation of the forest management activities under the direction of the TFT India Program Manager and through guidance from the Field Support Team in Europe. The specific tasks will include:
1. Identifying appropriate forest management operations that can link to TFT members’ needs
2. Helping develop a forestry program through outreach and recruitment of forestry operations
3. Helping promote and develop support for TFT’s India programme
4. Providing forest management support to forestry operations that supply into TFT member companies with emphasis in providing assistance on social and environmental issues
5. Conducting gap assessments to assess forest management needs
6. Developing Certification Action Plans for forest management operations
7. Working closely with forest management operations, communities, farmers, and government agencies to implement actions that lead to FSC certification
In addition to working in the field to support forest management operations, the Forest Officer will be responsible for the writing of reports to provide feedback and promoting TFT with stakeholders. The Forest Officer will also undertake general administrative tasks as and when required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
The Forest Officer is required to meet the following criteria and demonstrate the following experience and skills:
1. Graduate/MSC degree in Forest Management, Social Forestry, Agronomy or related discipline;
2. Ideally at least three years professional experience in the forest, working with farmers and communities, and plantation management;
3. Understanding of current issues relating to forest certification, especially certification under the FSC system;
4. Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders, especially with communities;
5. Confidence in communicating with a wide range of stakeholders including private companies, public institutions, communities, and NGO’s;
6. Good working knowledge of MS Office Programmes;
7. Strong written and spoken English language abilities are a MUST, and good ability in Hindi, Punjabi and Rajasthani are favorable;
8. Ability to work alone and in a small team and prioritize and organize own work schedule.
Salary and benefits: to be agreed but based on experience
Candidates interested in the position should send a covering letter and their curriculum vitae (including references and contact details) in English along with anticipated salary by email to
Candidates meeting the above criteria will be contacted and interviews will potentially be arranged as soon as is convenient. People who have previously applied for this position need not apply again.
More information on TFT can be found at: http://www.tft-forests.org/
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to