Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Research, Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist
Location: New York
Last Date: July 14, 2011
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
Research, Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist
Concern Worldwide is a non-governmental international humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working toward the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries. Concern’s Innovations for maternal, newborn, & child health is an initiative that seeks to identify, support, and field test bold, innovative ways to overcome barriers to delivering proven solutions to women and children in Malawi, India and Sierra Leone. Concern Worldwide US, which manages this project, is seeking a Research, Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist to join the Central Management Team to plan and implement this effort.
Ideas generated by the Innovations project are rigorously evaluated and the most promising are developed into action research pilot projects that are implemented at district-level in each target country. The Research, Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist (RMES) provides expert leadership on all aspects of research design, data gathering, analysis, and data use pertaining to the Innovations Project on a global level, and also (advises on) (guides and oversees) all research, monitoring and evaluation efforts within the project’s countries of operation and for all ideas being pilot tested.
The Research, Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist will work as part of the Innovations Central Management Team and will report to the Deputy Project Director. S/he will work closely with all members of the Central Management Team, in particular, the Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) Specialist and the Policy & Learning Specialist. This position is based in New York and will require frequent travel (30-40%) to the countries of operation. (
Monitoring & Evaluation:
• Provide specialized expertise on formative research (qualitative and quantitative) that can support the identification and prioritization of problems, as well as project design
• Support the development of M&E frameworks and research plans to guide research and M&E activities pertaining to each pilot project.
• Develop a set of key performance indicators and means of assessment against these indicators for the Innovations Project and the ideas identified and selected for implementation.
• Identify, select and assess suitable human resources including: consultants and institutions to undertake key monitoring and evaluation assignments, reviews, mid-term evaluations and final evaluations of the projects selected for implementation
• Develop and/or adapt practical monitoring and reporting tools for country teams.
• Liaise with UNICEF (Innovations project strategic partner) and other Innovations staff on a regular basis to ensure that high standards of research, monitoring and evaluation are developed and maintained
• Lead the research and analysis of MNCH service delivery problems and priorities.
• Lead the design and oversight of action research related to innovative MNCH solutions.
• Provide and/or source technical support to country teams and local research partners with respect to operations research issues.
• Guide Lead the design and oversight of evaluation action research related to innovative MNCH solutions Keep abreast of and disseminate new research findings related to MNCH, health system strengthening and fostering innovation.
• Participate in relevant research activities within UNICEF’s Knowledge Management unit
• Author and co-author technical papers and publications and support communications staff in writing and editing non-technical publications and tools
• At least 6 years of senior experience in conducting and managing monitoring, evaluation and/or research
• At least a Masters-level degree (Ph.D. preferred) in public health or a related field, with specializations in epidemiology, biostatistics, demography, or applied research
• The ability and reputation to build relationships with global and regional M&E specialists, both individual and institutional
• Experience in monitoring and evaluating health programs in developing countries, with a strong preference for work experience in at least one developing country
• Extensive experience managing multi-site research and the M&E of multi-country initiatives
• Demonstrated expertise in qualitative and quantitative methods
• Very strong analytical skills, with expert knowledge of common statistical software packages (e.g. SPSS, SAS, STATA, EPI Info)
• Excellent writing skills and the ability to document clearly and succinctly for internal and external audiences
• Familiarity and experience with real-time management information systems and knowledge management platforms
• Demonstrated experience in working within teams and working to short deadlines
• Commitment to the core values and vision of Concern Worldwide
Interested candidates must send the following two documents to
• Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role along with your current salary and salary expectations.
Reference your application with the subject line: Innovations Research, Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist.
Concern Worldwide US is an equal opportunities employer. No phone calls please.
Concern Worldwide US, Inc. is an affiliate of Concern Worldwide and supports the Concern network by recruiting staff, supporting program development, creating public awareness of humanitarian issues and financially supporting programs. Concern Worldwide is a non-governmental, international, humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries. Since its foundation in 1968, Concern Worldwide—through its work in emergencies and long-term development—has saved countless lives, relieved suffering and provided opportunities for a better standard of living for millions of people. We work primarily in the countries ranked in the bottom 40 of the United Nations Human Development Report. Concern implements emergency response programs as well as long-term development programs in the areas of livelihoods, health, HIV&AIDS, and education.
Read more about Concern Worldwide US, Inc. at
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to