Communication Officer – Content and Story for the Communications Unit
Last Date: April 25, 2011
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
ActionAid is a global development organisation supporting working in over 54 countries with poor and marginalised people to eradicate poverty by overcoming the injustice and inequity that cause it.
Established in India in 1972, ActionAid operates from of 12 Regional Offices spread across 24 States and 1 Union Territory.
ActionAid India wishes to recruit a Communication Officer – Content and Story for the Communications Unit to be based in Delhi.
The incumbent will be a key contact point for communications collaborations with other parts of ActionAid – particularly those that will help in raising funds for our work in India – including researching and proposing stories and planning media and film visits related to ActionAid India’s work.
Main Job Responsibilities –:
• Researching, writing, editing stories and case studies (text and images) in line with priority areas for external communications. This will include soliciting and processing material coming in from regions/themes/groups, identifying strong stories, and interviewing staff, partners, community members and others related to the stories face to face, by phone and email.
• Working with themes/regions/groups, international photo and film staff and/or professional photographers and film makers to ensure that images (and audio where relevant) are available to support the stories being gathered.
• Liaising with those responsible with ActionAid media, web, publication, film and photographic work to identify short and long-term story needs and planning story gathering and meeting them.
• Contributing to media strategies, materials, events and relations for major media pushes, particularly related to public campaigning, emergencies and fundraising. Seeking media outlets for stories gathered, in coordination with media manager.
• Creating a film archive system for ActionAid India material and developing story archive in coordination with the international story archive manger.
• Providing regular inputs to web with a critical understanding of potential links to other sections/themes and where stories best fit or are needed. Contributing ideas to potential presentation of stories on the web by working closely with the online manager.
The ideal candidate should:
• Be a Graduate/Post Graduate with proven experience in journalistic writing and editing, film/video production and producing web content.
• Have five years of experience in media organisations or mixed communications roles that include media relations, researching and writing for online and print publication and having strong communication and public relations skills.
• Have good media contacts and networking skills.
• Have relevant experience in development, civil society activism or campaigning.
• Have experience of managing media relations in India or South Asia.
• Fluency in written and spoken English and knowledge of at least one other Indian language.
• Be willing to travel as required.
The CTC for this position would be approximately 5 lakhs p.a.
Please send your application, only on our Standard Application Form available on our website: http://www.actionaidindia.org through e-mail at
latest by 25 April 2011. Please mention in the subject line of your e-mail “Communication Officer – Content and Story, Communications Unit”. Applications received without the filled in Standard ActionAid Application Form will be summarily rejected. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
ActionAid is an equal opportunity and diversity sensitive employer and women, persons with disability, SC/ST/ OBC/Muslim candidates are especially encouraged to apply.