Co-ordinator for Science Uptake – Asia
International Water Management Institute (India)
Location: Probably based in India (Hyderabad preferably)
Last Date: October 30, 2010
Co-ordinator for Science Uptake – Asia
The Person and the Job
If you have experience in developing uptake strategies to implement in science
projects, especially in Asia and have an advanced degree in Social Sciences then
you could be the person we are looking for. Probably based in India (Hyderabad
preferably) you will work closely with our two Asia Regional Directors (South
Asia and Southeast & Central Asia respectively) plus the Director of
Communications & Marketing in HQ. You will supervise and assist project based
Uptake Specialists, train and coach colleagues and generally build an IWMI–wide
understanding of the importance of uptake, its methods and tools.
• contribute to the preparation of project proposals to ensure inclusion of
uptake strategies or activities to develop them;
• facilitate the process of developing uptake strategies for individual projects
• develop regional uptake strategies to connect uptake messages across projects
and for projects’ completion where uptake work is still
• train colleagues and build awareness within IWMI of the importance of uptake
and appropriate approaches to develop uptake
strategies along with the understanding of methodologies and tools available;
• supervise, guide and assist IWMI’s project-based Uptake Specialists in the
• undertake regular reviews of progress and share lessons learnt with IWMI
• contribute to the continuous development of IWMI’s methodology for developing
uptake strategies; to build IWMI’s reputation for a
high impact culture through external promotion of experiences and lessons
• work closely with the corporate communications and information areas of the
IWMI Information and Knowledge Group on aligning
communication and information strategies for IWMI in the region and globally.
You must possess:
• an Advanced University degree, MSc or similar, in social sciences discipline;
• at least 10 years relevant professional and applied experience;
• project management experience;
• excellent oral and written communication skills, with some experience in group
• demonstrated skills and experience in innovation, originality and creativity
with the ability to synthesize, and communicate
• a capacity for leadership and promoting harmonious work within
interdisciplinary and multicultural teams.
You must know about:
• M&E and participatory approaches;
• working in Asia with local communities, NGOs, government officials, research
It would be useful if you had:
• a recognized natural science qualification, ideally in water, agriculture, or
This is an internationally recruited position with a competitive salary and
benefits package, which includes a housing allowance, transport, education,
shipping assistance, annual home leave, retirement, and health insurance
package. IWMI’s policy is to appoint staff initially on three year contracts
which are subject to renewal, depending on performance and institute’s needs.
This position will also require travel in the regions IWMI works in.
There may be telephone interviews for short-listed candidates during the week of
18 November 2010 and selection interviews are scheduled to be in Colombo, Sri
Lanka or in India in the week of 6 December 2010. Although these may be subject
to change, it would be useful if candidates could be available around these
The International Water Management Institute (
www.iwmi.org ) is a non-profit, scientific organization engaged in
research and capacity
building activities for developing countries. Our mission is to overcome poverty
through better management of land and water resources.
Working with diverse partners and supported by the Consultative Group on
International Agricultural Research (
www.cgiar.org ), IWMI
seeks to translate its research findings into actionable recommendations for
policymakers, resource managers and poor rural communities.
IWMI is based in Sri Lanka and has regional offices in 12 countries in Asia and
IWMI is an equal opportunity employer and is keen to further diversify its staff
in terms of both gender and nationality.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
in your email each day via
our 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to