Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to almost
0.5 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Johannesburg with frequent national and
Last Date: May 28, 2010
Greenpeace Africa is looking for a Fundraising Director
Position: Fundraising Director
Reporting to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Acquisition Coordinator, Retention Coordinator, Major Gifts Coordinator, Mobile Phone Project Coordinator
The fundraising department’s major responsibility is the recruitment of supporters and through these supporters and others, to raise money, gain commitment to Greenpeace’s vision and mobilise action to achieve ecological sustainability. As Greenpeace has a policy of not soliciting funds from corporations or governments, we are reliant on the support of individuals for all the funds to carry out our environmental campaigns.
The fundraising department’s current goal is to create and maintain a reliable, efficient and ethical funding base, which meets the needs of Greenpeace Africa.
Specifically our goals are to:
• Engender loyalty to Greenpeace in all our communication
• Promote the Greenpeace campaign goals and objectives
• Maintain a diverse and secure funding base
• Be responsible as a Department for meeting budget targets
• Present truthful and accessible reporting of all programs
• Change the way people think about spending their money
• Provide an annual net increase in available funds
This is a key management position on the Senior Management Team (SMT) of Greenpeace Africa. As part of the SMT the Fundraising Director will provide leadership, vision and strategic direction for the Fundraising Department and the organisation as a whole. This is a full-time position, responsible for the planning, management, resourcing, co-ordination and review of all fundraising, including fundraising and marketing strategies, the human resources of the department and budget management and planning of expenditure and income. Attendance of international meetings and participation in the global fundraising community is also required so the ability to travel is essential.
The major gifts department is a recent addition to the fundraising portfolio of Greenpeace Africa. The objective is to develop relationships with individuals that can give gifts over R50,000, these donations may come in the form of bequests or earmarked project funding. In order to develop a strong major gifts program the Fundraising Director must manage and support the activities of the major gifts coordinator as well as making it possible to utilise Greenpeace personalities that sit on the board, the SMT or in the campaign team.
Mobile Phone and SMS Project
Greenpeace Africa is currently undertaking an integrated campaign, communications and fundraising program using mobile phones to enhance our efforts. The fundraising director must manage and support the activities of the SMS project coordinator, ensure access and collaboration between departments and develop innovative and productive marketing projects to ensure the uptake of these campaigns as well as the conversion of prospects into donors.
The acquisition department is currently focused largely on Direct Dialogue fundraising. Telemarketing, online list building and conversion channels are currently being tested and rolled out. In order to continue the trends of supporter growth the Fundraising Director must manage and diversify the acquisitions portfolio with continuing to support and develop the Acquisitions Coordinator.
The retention department is currently servicing and growing database of 6,000 active or recently lapsed supporters. An annual upgrade cycle is currently being developed with the objective to upgrade existing supporters to a higher level of monthly gift. In order to maintain a strong supporter base the Fundraising Director must manage and innovate within the retention program with continuing to support and develop the Acquisitions Coordinator.
• Plan and develop the fundraising elements of the Organisational Development plan to ensure accurate budgets are developed for the operations of Greenpeace Africa.
• Manage and diversify current fundraising strategies and ensure the support database is being effectively utilised to maximise income and loyalty to Greenpeace Africa.
• Support and develop staff within the coordination team to ensure professional development of staff, their loyalty to and their conduct is professional and in line with Greenpeace Africa values.
• Analyse fundraising programs and trends to ensure effective investment in channels, including Return on Investment (ROI) and Lifetime Value (LTV) of programs, and report this information back to the SMT and the board as directed by the Executive Director.
• As a member of the SMT contribute to building a strong Greenpeace Africa culture of integrated campaigning and cross department cooperation and trust.
• Assume any other duty appropriate to the position, and as delegated by the Executive Director.
Essential qualities and skills:
• Commitment to the core values of Greenpeace and passion for the environment
• Strong management skills
• Ability to reach fundraising targets and motivate others to achieve targets
• Excellent communication skills
• Experience in analysing fundraising and marketing data
• Highly developed interpersonal skills
• Experience of recruiting, managing, coaching and training staff
• Proficient in Microsoft office packages, such as Word and Excel
• Available for overseas travel
Education and experience
5 years experience in fundraising at a senior management level
Benefits: Total cost to employer
If you feel that you have what it takes to make a difference, please send your letter of motivation and most recent curriculum vitae to
email@example.com not later than May 28th 2010.
Thank you for your interest in Greenpeace. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies each day via
3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. Only USD 44 for 3 months. Over 1380
positions filled in 2009.
Click here to