Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Head - Maize Genetic Resources Center – Scientist or Senior Scientist
Location: Texcoco, Mexico
Last Date: August 31, 2011
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is looking for an excellent, enthusiastic scientist to head our maize genetic resources center. With CIMMYT colleagues, and in collaboration with public, private, local and international partners, the position has responsibilities to develop and implement CIMMYT’s vision to safe-guard, expand, characterize and use the world’s largest collection of tropical maize genetic resources for the benefit of human kind. The position is based in Mexico.
This position will play a key role in implementing emerging technologies to greatly improve targeted access to beneficial alleles, genes, traits and germplasm. Distribution of germplasm, and the development and coordination of web-enabled informatics resources to facilitate its use are major objectives for CIMMYT and this scientist.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Ensure the effective curation of the maize germplasm bank collection adhering to world-class standards.
• Contribute to planning, prioritizing and implementing the phenotypic and molecular characterization of CIMMYT-held maize genetic resources.
• Fill gaps in current data sets, and expand the breadth of accession and trait coverage.
• Work with a team of bioinformatics specialists to plan and improve access and use of pedigree, passport and characterization data and associated germplasm through user-friendly web-portals.
• Find innovative ways of advancing the ex-situ and in-situ conservation, characterization and use of maize genetic resources through collaborative efforts with public, private, local and international partners.
• Develop an internationally recognized research program in an applied area pertinent to the responsibilities of this position; publish and communicate results through journals and other outlets.
• Develop concept notes and proposals in strategic research areas.
• Contribute to the global system of maize germplasm collection, conservation, use and capacity building of partners in national agricultural research systems.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
• PhD degree and a minimum of 5 years of pertinent experience in molecular genetics, plant breeding, genetic resource conservation or botany.
• Keen interest to develop or further a career exploring the wealth of variation contained in maize genetic resources and linking with users of such variation.
• Excellent knowledge of molecular tools, quantitative genetics and statistics.
• Relevant publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
• Experience in field experimentation; excellent computer literacy.
• Interest and ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
• Proficiency with written and spoken English; knowledge of Spanish is desirable.
CIMMYT ( www.cimmyt.org ) is an internationally funded, non-profit research and training organization affiliated with the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR,
www.cgiar.org ) and has an annual budget of about US$ 91 million. CIMMYT’s mission is to sustainably increase the productivity of maize and wheat systems to ensure global food security and reduce poverty. The center is a global leader in maize and wheat breeding, biotechnology, socioeconomics, and natural resource management research. CIMMYT employs about 700 permanent staff and operates through decentralized partnerships, with staff in 18 countries and projects and networks in many more.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package paid in US dollars, with a range of benefits including housing allowance, life and health insurance, education allowance (to Grade 12), home leave, retirement fund, and relocation shipping assistance.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
Apply online no later than August 31st, 2011.
At www.cimmyt.org , click on “About us – Job Opportunities- 2011/12 Position” Please complete the online application, including your cover letter, competencies and experience for the position, and a detailed CV/resume.
For further information, contact Dr. Kevin Pixley, Genetic Resources Program Director,
firstname.lastname@example.org or the Human Resources Office,
email@example.com . Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to